Alright, I'll be the one to ask. Why do we hate PLD and Jeff Carter but Laine gets a pass?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Mods if you feel this should be in another thread please merge, but I think there's an interesting conversation here.

After getting blasted to hell on Reddit for not crying my eyes out about Laine tonight, I finally have to ask. What's the deal here? I feel for Laine. I feel for his mental health. At the end of the day, just another dude who quit on Columbus. I understand he didn't just quit on the ice the way PLD did, but I'm not so sure he gave it 100% all the time either.

I'm pulling for Laine the man, absolutely. I'm gutted for him getting hurt the way he did. Im just not understanding the outpouring of love for just the next guy who forced their way off our team.

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Two significant reasons in my view:

PLD and Carter didn't have a large following, fans who always found ways to defend and see their hero in a good light. I think the masses were affected by that and thus the general impression of the guy was more positive.

Laine's trade request was mainly attributed to some more or less vague mental health problems whereas with PLD and Carter health issues never came up publicly, so their reasons to leave CBJ were perceived "less acceptable".

Edit: and thirdly, Laine never quit on the team while playing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Mods if you feel this should be in another thread please merge, but I think there's an interesting conversation here.

After getting blasted to hell on Reddit for not crying my eyes out about Laine tonight, I finally have to ask. What's the deal here? I feel for Laine. I feel for his mental health. At the end of the day, just another dude who quit on Columbus. I understand he didn't just quit on the ice the way PLD did, but I'm not so sure he gave it 100% all the time either.

I'm pulling for Laine the man, absolutely. I'm gutted for him getting hurt the way he did. Im just not understanding the outpouring of love for just the next guy who forced their way off our team.
Laine financially supported these organizations. He came to Columbus early to prepare for the 2023-24 season, even participated in a tournament before the 2023-24 season.

He never asked to be traded, so his departure had more to do with mental issues, wanting a fresh start, even would changing his number (he said he would have changed it even if #29 hadn't been retired). Some players hinted that he had been through hell. Unfortunately, it didn't help and I don't even want to imagine what must be going on in his head. 😟

If to his play, remember that after the injury he had to return his shape. It was with us that he improved it and played his best hockey.

And I doubt his minimal fan support has influenced anyone here on the forum or fans at all. 🙂

EDIT: I do not know the reasons of Carter and PLD, that's why I will not write about them.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm totally talking out of my hoop, but I think the 3 of them fall into 2 categories. There are people who have difficulty with getting along with groups of people because they are uncomfortable in groups and have challenges stemming from that. They may not want to isolate themselves or set themselves apart of the group, but they may not know how.

Then there are people who are just assholes. They can get along with others if they wanted to, but for whatever reason they treat people poorly for no reason other than they can.

I think Laine would fall into the former and Carter and PLD (and Foote) would fall into the latter.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Carter is in his own category. I don’t know that PLD or Laine hit on other guy’s wives. He signed a long deal that he thought would keep him in Philadelphia and then he got traded which sucks for him. But then he turned into a complete ass as a reaction.

I don’t think PLD likes hockey. He is good at it when he chooses to be. But he has now disappointed three teams. It now seems that it wasn’t personal about Columbus or anything, it is just who he is.

We don’t know what happened with Laine, but he lost his father and eventually entered the Players Assistance Program. The front office was a complete shitshow at the end of his playing time here. To me it makes sense that he would go somewhere else to try to put his life together.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I should have put in the initial post, I know Carter is in a league of his own. The PLD and Laine situations aren't as different as people want to belive though. I still wish them the best, but if PLD were to come out and say he was going through mental health issues at the time, I wouldn't be any less disappointed.

Again, couldn't root any harder for Laine the person. I'm just disappointed in the situation.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Carter was before my time.

Laine tried his best here when he was physically and mentally healthy, and by the end of his time on the Jackets it made sense for both sides to part ways. It's an easier pill to swallow when it's such a challenge to imagine where he would slot in. I think I speak for most fans here when I say I'm more comfortable relying on Johnson, the 3 Russians, and Jenner at wing going forward. Perhaps most importantly he handled his trade request very professionally. He had made the request long before it became public, and seemingly understood that it had to work with the team's timing. Laine honestly had more of a right to act like Dubois than Dubois did with the state of the team's front office being in disarray while Laine needed a fresh start in many aspects of life.

PLD visibly quit on the team here and put the franchise in a very difficult spot with the timing and approach he took with getting out of here. I agree that he doesn't like hockey, and based on his comments after leaving LAK he seems to struggle mightily with in game decision making. It seems that every physical gift he has for the sport is counter balanced by mental shortcomings. His excuse for his LA performance boiled down to him saying he didn't know what to do on ice. He's either not very smart or was trying to be polite with a lie. The PLD quotes I attached boil down to "I don't have the requisite hockey IQ to perform to my expectations".

Huge reason is team construction/needs though. Dubois was supposed to be our 1C and Laine is a wing that doesn't really fit here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929_094753_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_094753_Chrome.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240929_094817_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_094817_Chrome.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was not a fan of bringing Laine to Columbus and I'm glad it's over with. But he cared about the team. He's nothing like PLD or Carter. Laine only asked for a move because he was stuck in a period of personal crisis.

The sad thing is I think the injuries are at root of so much of it, he's been injured at the start of four seasons now? He only played half of his games as a Jacket. I think training all summer to take your game to the next level only to have it wiped away by injury is a very difficult thing to mentally handle. And it just happened again.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Do you have a similar attitude towards Rick Nash? That would at least be consistent.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Laine did much the same here for 4 years. Even picked up the same "trying to do way too much" syndrome Nash did.
So less than half the time, right. I'm not here to make it Nash v Laine but Nash also had a monstrously worse supporting cast.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I hate to be an apologist for Carter, but IIRC correctly he had just signed a long ass extension with the Philly coming off of deep playoff runs, with a good core only to get traded to a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs in its short existence.

Id be pretty pissed too.

Edit:

11yr 58M contract extension only to be traded the following off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad