Rumor: Alleged offer by Montreal for Vinny in 2007

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1380545

Not sure how true this is, but just imagine how different this would've made the team. Hell, the league! One of the top players in the league at the time changing teams with such a blockbuster trade tends to have a far reaching effect on other teams.

Well I understand, that we didn't take the offer back in 2007, nobody could have even dreamed, it would have worked out that well.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Well I understand, that we didn't take the offer back in 2007, nobody could have even dreamed, it would work out that well.

That's true, back then Vinny was considered the best in the game. But if that trade did happen, we probably wouldn't have finished last and that means no Stamkos the next year. Crazy to think about how that trade would've changed this team

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With the way we develope players Subban and Price would've busted or not broken out till we traded them away.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Right now that trade seems great for us, back then Vinny was arguably a top 5 player in the league and Price, Pacioretty and Subban were prospects with high potential but not sure things so I guess everything turned out fine for both teams since by 2008 we drafted Stamkos and 2009 Hedman. I guess you never know with these alleged trade proposals.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Right now that trade seems great for us, back then Vinny was arguably a top 5 player in the league and Price, Pacioretty and Subban were prospects with high potential but not sure things so I guess everything turned out fine for both teams since by 2008 we drafted Stamkos and 2009 Hedman. I guess you never know with these alleged trade proposals.

Thats why claiming "winners" and "losers" in trades is silly. There is no guarantee we'd have treated development of these guys properly and they became the players they are today.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
There was a rumor that he was going to go to the Habs at the draft in Montreal (2009) before his NMC kicked in. I don't know about 2007, but there are enough of Vinny to Montreal rumors to fill a lake.

Before Yzerman came in, St. Louis threw some threats out about leaving, and without Boyle, Richards, and Lecavalier, he could have joined them and that could have been frightful for our franchise. I don't want to think about how this could have turned out if the old owners had kept meddling with our team. We might've been cheering on the Jets right now.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
There was a rumor that he was going to go to the Habs at the draft in Montreal (2009) before his NMC kicked in. I don't know about 2007, but there are enough of Vinny to Montreal rumors to fill a lake.

Before Yzerman came in, St. Louis threw some threats out about leaving, and without Boyle, Richards, and Lecavalier, he could have joined them and that could have been frightful for our franchise. I don't want to think about how this could have turned out if the old owners had kept meddling with our team. We might've been cheering on the Jets right now.

Even though I joined HF just last year, I have been a Lightning Fan for over 15 years. I cannot imagine myself cheering for another team. I am glad Vinnik is our owner now and our future is looking bright despite this current season.

Off Center

Jun 9, 2009
Koules\Barrie would have traded all those guys away for other players who would subsequently have been traded away the following year. somewhere there is a parallel universe where those trades would have resulted in Len Barrie trading for himself and featuring for the Bolts alongside his entire NHL investor group in Bear Mountain

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
Sounds like something someone made up in an attempt to make TB look foolish...doubtful Montreal offered all that. Even if it was back in 2007.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sounds like something someone made up in an attempt to make TB look foolish...doubtful Montreal offered all that. Even if it was back in 2007.

It makes sense - Gainey was coming under some heavy criticism and the relationship between Koules and Vinny soured for some really stupid reasons. They shopped him, Gainey wanted to make a big splash to keep his job.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
I'd believe Bob Gainey over anyone from the clown outfit that was the OK Hockey group. Either way, glad Vinny is still a Bolt...even if it might not last forever.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I just read on the Leafs board that Lawton was offered Giroux for Ranger. It's hard to imagine what our team would be if both trades went down.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I just read on the Leafs board that Lawton was offered Giroux for Ranger. It's hard to imagine what our team would be if both trades went down.

Ranger was an amazing Top 2 defenceman for this team at that time. Giroux was still developing in the AHL. It's like a team offering a player picked in the 20's of the first round of a recent draft for Hedman. It's not exactly the same scenario but close enough to see why the deal was rejected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad