GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Regarding our goaltender situation and barring injuries, I'm guessing Kahkonen will slot in as our backup to start the season and Milic will get the heavy workload with the Moose.

Comrie will be slathered with baby oil hoping to slide thru waivers to partner with Milic and DiVincentiis will be moved to our ECHL affiliate. Wow the letter i appears 4 times in DiVincentiis!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Have the Jets seen enough, do they dare go with Salomomsson? Maybe they are not happy with either Fleury or Coghlan.
Coghlan I could see getting cut. Fleury has been ok. Samberg with Miller might be more of an opportunity for a shutdown pair, if they want to take Pionk out of that role. Salomonsson on his offside yet, didn't see that coming, but there must be something to it. He's the most talented defensemen out of Fleury, Coghlan and Lundmark. Can't say he's not getting a chance so far.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I like that they are doing Salo in the top 6. It makes sense if he did well over seas playing at a high level and perhaps the AHL isn't where he needs to be to develop further? It is good messaging to other prospects as well that the era of a rookie making the club is a long shot at best. There needs to be a narrative change and in order to retain talent the team needs to provide more opportunity than it has. That messaging is critical, especially with this younger generation.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the question is what are you looking for from waivers? A player like Fleury who could clear waivers, maybe (I think there are a few teams that could conceivably upgrade with a player like him) or Lundmark are supposed to be depth defensemen, 8/9 players...If they aren't good enough what is the depth of this team made of?

Realistically if Stan and Heinola come back and you plan on playing them, you are just wasting a draft pick on a player that could conceivably be waived again anyways. Maybe you want that 23rd roster spot open for young players to compete, say you have a player with a nagging injury that doesn't get IR'd that's a way to get a Chibrikov or Lambert into the lineup. Maybe you want to keep JAD.

Personally Fleury wasn't bad enough last night to look at a waiver replacement. His skating led to the 2-2 goal. Lundmark probably deserves a longer look. Miller didn't have a particularly strong game last night, nor did Samberg, but it's still early enough in preseason to shake off rust. Salomonsson looked lost until he got a week of practice, last night he looked a lot closer to being an NHL player than he has at any point.

I do think another injury though on d likely has Chevy on the phone. Because the defense so far only looks 9 deep, with Salomonsson trying to become #10. And 2 down.
Yeah for me that's the question. If you aren't using your depth now, when we need it, it's it really depth?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like that they are doing Salo in the top 6. It makes sense if he did well over seas playing at a high level and perhaps the AHL isn't where he needs to be to develop further? It is good messaging to other prospects as well that the era of a rookie making the club is a long shot at best. There needs to be a narrative change and in order to retain talent the team needs to provide more opportunity than it has. That messaging is critical, especially with this younger generation.
Without the injuries he would have had to blow the roof off the building to make the club. The bar is a little lower now. But I'd be surprised if the Jets waived Lundmark to keep Salo at this point. Because the ceiling for Salomonsson is higher. He's getting experience to understand what it takes to play in the NHL, and from Arniel it sounds like he comprehends what he is supposed to be learning. You never want to rush a young player's growth, but it does sound bright for his future here. At the start of camp I thought no way would he make the NHL this year, and he's looking more likely to do so as it closes. And who knows maybe he takes it another step forward next week, makes that decision even more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad