GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I guess the consolation is that they are positive to start the year, that was a nice dish Scheif gave out to send KC in all alone.

I’ve got high hopes. I think Vilardi is exactly what they need. A big, defensively responsible winger. Sure, it didn’t work out last year but they didn’t really have much of a chance due to a couple of knee on knee hits.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sep 30, 2016
It is in the job description to keep this 2 guys together all the time or what? starting to get worried....

My hot take: Scheif signed on the condition he gets to play with players he chooses, which is probably Connor.

That's likely why Wheeler kept getting 1st line minutes - his or Scheif's hand shake agreement.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who says Fleury was signed for the Moose? He has been mostly a 6/7 in the NHL with very little time in the AHL. I think he saw a team with a weak left side after the top 2 players and took his chance he could carve out a role.

Just look at his contract. It is 2 way with a high AHL salary, 400k. That is a pattern for a player signed to strengthen the AHL team while providing some insurance for the NHL.

Did he hope to make the Jets roster? Of course he did. Did Jets expect him to? I don't think so. He is deep depth.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Been burnt enough times that i expect a strong oct-nov from the jets and from scheif... i just want to see how we adjust for the second half of the season

You could see the cracks last year in decembers winning streak but you could ignore it because of helle and the system

Arniel is def looking to engage kfc and scheif as defensive players - now its just up to them to buy in.... for more than three months

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There was an Arniel interview the other day that didn't really give the impression he thinks if Perfetti as a C. That's how I took it, anyway.

Imo he wasn't against him there st some point but given what this team asks of its centers outside of Scheifele it wouldn't be the best use of his skills.

He wants him to have more puck touches and wants him at the forefront of the attack. Given that this team doesn't have a lot of skill upfront it makes sense that the coaches want to optimize what they have.

The defensive responsibilities tasked with our centers doesn't really allow them to spearhead the attack. They tend to act more as offensive support pieces in our scheme. Our offense is primarily driven from the wings line 2 through 4.

The lone exception to that is Scheifele who is allowed more leash to create and as a result isn't as defensively responsible. It's not surprising to me that our top line has been much more high event under Bones while the other three have been much lower in terms of events.

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Imo he wasn't against him there st some point but given what this team asks of its centers outside of Scheifele it wouldn't be the best use of his skills.

He wants him to have more puck touches and wants him at the forefront of the attack. Given that this team doesn't have a lot of skill upfront it makes sense that the coaches want to optimize what they have.

The defensive responsibilities tasked with our centers doesn't really allow them to spearhead the attack. They tend to act more as offensive support pieces in our scheme. Our offense is primarily driven from the wings line 2 through 4.

The lone exception to that is Scheifele who is allowed more leash to create and as a result isn't as defensively responsible. It's not surprising to me that our top line has been much more high event under Bones while the other three have been much lower in terms of events.
It was arniels polite way of saying perfetti is slow.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Why does the text say that past 6 years they were out scored, but then in the graphic it shows 5 seasons ago they out scored their opposition? Am I missing something here?
It means that in their worst swason, they got ourscored 1.2:1... or in round numbers, 6:5

Not the catastrophe that people make it out to be

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It means that in their worst swason, they got ourscored 1.2:1... or in round numbers, 6:5

Not the catastrophe that people make it out to be
That depends how you measure them. Is the standard breaking even, or outscoring the opposition by a good amount?

I think the idea folks on here have is that a top line should reasonably be in that 55-60% range for goals.

If you are at 5GF-6GA (45%) as a top line, instead of 6GF-5GA (55%), it's actually is a pretty big difference.

Your line is essentially 20% more successful. These are the kind of advantages that "analytics" are trying to find. What is within our control that can give us a better chance to win?

The tough part is that 81-55 has fallen into the first bucket for the last couple years, and 27-55 falls into the second bucket. It's the difference between an average 3rd line and a top line.

It's not that this line combo discussion point is destroying the team, it's how much better could we be if we made this switch? If it doesn't work out like it looks like it should over a longer time period, there is always the opportunity to go back.

Peretti, Namestnikov and Iafallo are all good play drivers that can help cover the all around game for Connor where he can be the focal point. He has always done well on that sheltered 2nd line. And Big Bad Brad may be an option in our near future too..

I really like our chances of being that sleeper for the division we were last year if we make this change and it works. Not going to panic yet, still tons of time. Arniel may have a plan to let the change happen when the timing is right for the room. Lots of moving pieces.

Happy to post an essay with the Friday off before a long weekend haha. Cheers all, have a safe and enjoyable one.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That depends how you measure them. Is the standard breaking even, or outscoring the opposition by a good amount?

I think the idea folks on here have is that a top line should reasonably be in that 55-60% range for goals.

If you are at 5GF-6GA (45%) as a top line, instead of 6GF-5GA (55%), it's actually is a pretty big difference.

Your line is essentially 20% more successful. These are the kind of advantages that "analytics" are trying to find. What is within our control that can give us a better chance to win?

The tough part is that 81-55 has fallen into the first bucket for the last couple years, and 27-55 falls into the second bucket. It's the difference between an average 3rd line and a top line.

It's not that this line combo discussion point is destroying the team, it's how much better could we be if we made this switch? If it doesn't work out like it looks like it should over a longer time period, there is always the opportunity to go back.

Peretti, Namestnikov and Iafallo are all good play drivers that can help cover the all around game for Connor where he can be the focal point. He has always done well on that sheltered 2nd line. And Big Bad Brad may be an option in our near future too..

I really like our chances of being that sleeper for the division we were last year if we make this change and it works. Not going to panic yet, still tons of time. Arniel may have a plan to let the change happen when the timing is right for the room. Lots of moving pieces.

Happy to post an essay with the Friday off before a long weekend haha. Cheers all, have a safe and enjoyable one.
What does that look like in actual goals across the season though?

We've been through the "absolute vs relative difference" ad nauseum, so I won't rehash it

I'll leave it by sating that if we won a game 6-5 (or lost 6-5), nobody would be talking about one team dominating and one team getting crushed... yet that's about the largest margin that we talk about with regards to all these stats

You perceive GF% of 55% vs a GF% of 45% as being some huge difference, but in reality it's equivalent to losing a game 6-5 vs winning one 6-5. Both were competitive games and nobody got "caved"

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Quite the juxtaposition from the injury situation last year (or lack thereof) on the back-end for the Jets.

Especially considering the puck hasn't even been dropped yet on the new season.

Sheesh.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Stanley and Heinola really have shitty timing with their injuries. If they could just get together and time block their surgeries they could both get more games this season :sarcasm:. Seriously though we move on from two vets, the door potentially opens, and both guys get injured, reinjured, botched surgery, trying to make it through the open door.

If not for bad luck I guess

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What does that look like in actual goals across the season though?

We've been through the "absolute vs relative difference" ad nauseum, so I won't rehash it

I'll leave it by sating that if we won a game 6-5 (or lost 6-5), nobody would be talking about one team dominating and one team getting crushed... yet that's about the largest margin that we talk about with regards to all these stats

You perceive GF% of 55% vs a GF% of 45% as being some huge difference, but in reality it's equivalent to losing a game 6-5 vs winning one 6-5. Both were competitive games and nobody got "caved"
I'm so sick of hearing about Scheifele/Connor analytics ... there's 6 players on the ice. What is 55/81 analytics with Pionk on the ice and with Morrissey on the ice ... the same?
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most top teams play their #1 goal scorer with their #1 center?
As far as I'm concern analytics don't prove anything. Remember analytics say faceoffs aren't important but how many times do you see a last minute goal by winning a faceoff or a PP goal off a faceoff or OT.
Scheifele/Connor had 14 GWG last year that 27% of the Jets wins. Jets lost only 24 games last year so by analytics 15 of the Jets losses were because of Scheifele/Connor right?:huh:
Eye test will always been analytics.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Stanley and Heinola really have shitty timing with their injuries. If they could just get together and time block their surgeries they could both get more games this season :sarcasm:. Seriously though we move on from two vets, the door potentially opens, and both guys get injured, reinjured, botched surgery, trying to make it through the open door.

If not for bad luck I guess
Just be thankful it's the 6/7 defensemen going down. Arny would have a hard time losing 4 of 6 starting d-men this year, like Maurice had to navigate, with Buff carrying the load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad