Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Going to be a fun day, Rutger & Ehlers potentially traded, potentially a 1st rd pick coming our way.

Before I left for the lake I set my PVR to record the 1st round tonight and its only because I think we might not quite be dead yet (insert the Monty Python black knight meme)

• Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm doubtful a deal around McGrorty happens today. For all the speculation about a high end 1st, I believe Jets org is looking more at a 1 for 1 prospect type trade (Drysdsle/Gauthier) to add to THIS core not the next core.

I tend to agree with you and its feels more like Chevy’s MO but we are sure hearing allot of reports (from guys I find credible) that we can expect this before the draft. Not quite sure why but maybe that is just Chevy trying to manufacture pressure to drive up the market.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
According to Winnipeg Free Press' Mike McIntyre, he was informed by a source that the Buffalo Sabres are one of the teams who have "checked in" on Winnipeg Jets top prospect Rutger McGroarty. The other clubs that McIntyre mentioned being interested in McGroarty include the Boston Bruins, Columbus Blue Jackets, and New York Islanders.
Murat Ates reported San Jose as well. So that’s 5 teams reported by local beat writers…

- San Jose
- Buffalo
- NY Islanders
- Columbus
- Boston

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Those are fair points but the thing is most of them are based on the Laine of when he left, IMO. 3 years, especially with private Life changing effects and a history of hopefully successfully going through mental illness, can completely change a person.

I very much speak from personal experience.

Obviously, I don't know how the person and character is as of June 2024, but I highly doubt he is still the same person that wanted out 3 years ago. This is very much based on speculations of course but that is why I think everything about him making a successful return to the Jets starts and potentially ends with a very long and intimate talk between him and Chevy.
by all accounts he's a worse hockey player than he was when he left... and he was regularly being benched for laziness in Columbus.

so we have a previously toxic player, who has gotten worse, personally and professionally.... who at best has been in some form of improvement program for 6 months......

as for your speculation? you are dealing with the exceptions not the rule. and I'm very happy for you and your journey.....but you have no idea how hard or sincere Patik is being in this...it might all be a BS front suggested by his agent.

So no. we have no idea where this kid is, and what he thinks or feels or how strong and determined he is.

and I don't care I don't even want the Jets to give him the chance. too much history, too much cap hit, and the Jets have OTHER NEEDS.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I do too, but with his skating and playing on the 2nd line likely, I don’t like it.

My biggest issue with our lineup is Lowry and Appleton are guaranteed to be on our 3rd line. Which means our 2c needs to be a really good upgrade over Lowry.
Monahan is light years ahead of Lowry offensively. We have zero in house options at 2C. I have no problem with re-signing Monahan. Smart player, helps our PP, nice hands and net front presence. We could do worse. It will cost a boatload to trade for/sign a free agent to fill the 2C gap.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
And LMFAO on Laine. There is no way Chevy is going to bring that guy back. Just let it go. All the talent in the world but didnt want to put in any effort whatsoever. Everyone elses fault around him. Never his. Demanding to play with so-and-so, sulking when he doesnt get his way. About 1000 red flags. Lazy entitled baby. No thanks.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Monahan is light years ahead of Lowry offensively. We have zero in house options at 2C. I have no problem with re-signing Monahan. Smart player, helps our PP, nice hands and net front presence. We could do worse. It will cost a boatload to trade for/sign a free agent to fill the 2C gap.

My issue is Monahan will be more expensive than last time, will degrade, and is already slow as f***. He won't be able to play at pace. He was a good deadline rental, but he should be just that. Aim higher than Monahan.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
My issue is Monahan will be more expensive than last time, will degrade, and is already slow as f***. He won't be able to play at pace. He was a good deadline rental, but he should be just that. Aim higher than Monahan.
Yes he is slow but slower vets can overcome diminishing foot speed with smart, intelligent play/positioning. I'd much rather sign him at a reasonable deal for our 2C and use what few assets we have to upgrade our D.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
KC is a very under the radar personality. Patrik was much more of a quirky/star/diva

Another reason Patrik takes heat is he was drafted #2 overall and had a pretty amazing first two seasons and kind of took the league by storm as a goal scorer. He had a swagger and very high expectations were put on him by himself and the world. As a teenager it looked like he might be a guy to challenge for Rockets for the next decade. Once he hit his twenties his raw goalscoring totals went down as the league’s goal scoring exploded. Although he has remained a respectable scoring winger in and around a point per game he hasn’t gotten anywhere near where he was suppose to. He is often injured and now as some other off ice struggles to deal with.

I wish the best for him on a personal level. He’s gone through allot for a young man.

From a hockey perspective it’s tough for me to be objective because I want no part of trading for Laine. Even though my instincts are telling me we need to keep 1000 miles away from Laine, Its pounding rain at the lake and I am bored so let me try to steel man a case for trading for him.

Ok this isn’t easy but here goes (I am going to open source this so feel free to add to my list but only reasons to do it for now):

#1 His stock has never been lower. Columbus wants to move on (I assume) and will most likely retain. If we can get Columbus to retain about $2 million then I think he presents value in and around the $6 million dollar mark warts and all.

#2 He only has two years left on this deal so the term isn’t crippling. If things don’t work out we could use him as an own rental or flip him at the TD for a reasonable return in the spring before free agency.

#3 If it’s part of a bigger play……he could be used in a larger package to entice Columbus to part with a more key assets in more of a blockbuster trade. We scratch your back you scratch ours type thing. We know they want McG and they have a few very prized assets that might be a bit too much to ask for 1 for 1 (Jiricek or the #4 OA).

#4 fills the top 6 RW hole in our line up and he would lessen the blow from a scoring perspective in the immediate term if we have to move on from Ehlers.

#5 Do we really have that much to lose? We are not competitive as a playoff team and it’s been a large enough sample size now that I can’t ignore it. We are not a threat to win a round let alone go on a run. Time is ticking on this core and I don’t think we have what we need to win in the playoffs so I don’t look at us having much to lose in the second season anyways. Not saying Laine will help but he can’t hurt our playoff results.

In summary it would have to be a hell of a deal and for me #3 is the only reason I would plug my nose and do it.

Good post and I agree with most. I also agree that this org is spinning its wheels while our core is on the slow death March.

There isn't a tonne of excitement among the fans and while we have a good team we lack the jaw dropping talents to pull fans out of their seats.

Maybe this org could use a bit more swagger, maybe we need a bigger then life personality to spark some passion. Much like how swaggerville really galvanized Bomber fans years agao.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I go back and forth on re-signing him
pros:
- is a center
- good production
- good pp
- would be willing to sign in winnipeg
-wouldn't have to spend at the deadline on center

cons:
-slow
-were already a slower team
-about to be 30
-injury history

overall I would prefer not to sign him but I guess it might come down to term/money

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
there is a risk in taking laine back but for his potential and the price we would need to pay to get him I don't really see much downside in it, this is winnipeg, we have a hard time getting talent unless we pick at the top of the draft, if we can get someone who can score like he can, that may even want to come here then we should really take the chance

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
by all accounts he's a worse hockey player than he was when he left... and he was regularly being benched for laziness in Columbus.

so we have a previously toxic player, who has gotten worse, personally and professionally.... who at best has been in some form of improvement program for 6 months......

as for your speculation? you are dealing with the exceptions not the rule. and I'm very happy for you and your journey.....but you have no idea how hard or sincere Patik is being in this...it might all be a BS front suggested by his agent.

So no. we have no idea where this kid is, and what he thinks or feels or how strong and determined he is.

and I don't care I don't even want the Jets to give him the chance. too much history, too much cap hit, and the Jets have OTHER NEEDS.
In a way I think Winnipeg was a really good landing spot for Laine, because in a lot of bigger North American markets there is a lot more exposure to off ice bad habits that can shorten your career, and I feel like the group Winnipeg has here can kind of insulate a young player from that. I think the most important thing with the leaders here is winning, they just haven't been able to get over the hump of the playoffs since the defense took a turn in 2019.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Got this on Columbus board......

FYI as some of you are wondering with Patrik Laine still in the program.-Laine can be traded while in the program.

& other teams cannot talk to Laine personally while in the program.-

& other teams can talk to Laine’s representation while he’s in the program.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Got this on Columbus board......

FYI as some of you are wondering with Patrik Laine still in the program.-Laine can be traded while in the program.

& other teams cannot talk to Laine personally while in the program.-

& other teams can talk to Laine’s representation while he’s in the program.
Wonder if we'd be allowed to unofficially send a player like Lowry or Ehlers to chat with Laine personally

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
there is a risk in taking laine back but for his potential and the price we would need to pay to get him I don't really see much downside in it, this is winnipeg, we have a hard time getting talent unless we pick at the top of the draft, if we can get someone who can score like he can, that may even want to come here then we should really take the chance

As long as the price is cheap, I have no issue bringing back Laine. I would say most fans of the team would welcome him back as most didn't want him to leave in the first place.

At the end of the day, if Laine was to get say 20-30 goals in a season, this would be a good bonus for this team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
In a way I think Winnipeg was a really good landing spot for Laine, because in a lot of bigger North American markets there is a lot more exposure to off ice bad habits that can shorten your career, and I feel like the group Winnipeg has here can kind of insulate a young player from that. I think the most important thing with the leaders here is winning, they just haven't been able to get over the hump of the playoffs since the defense took a turn in 2019.
Players, coaches cite how the Jets are a family and the respect they have for their players. And I'm sure they flex their muscle with the media given how soft our media typically is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad