Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You're just afraid of moderating the Finns!
Ok that was funny

In reality Laine has offensive ability no question, I question if his shot has lost a bit but that also could partly be lack of good line mates in CBJ and PP.

Things I’m concerned with Laine:

- Our PP being built around him again and being super predictable like it was when he was first here

- His lack of defensive knowledge and effort, he’s not good defensively and not exactly known for his hard work.

- He’s lazy often, poor off ice training, questionable endurance.

- His entitled attitude, he used to have, I hope he’s out grown it.

- His off ice drama, hate that crap it’s just a negative distraction for the whole team. If he came back to Winnipeg (Canada) there’s no hiding from the media like he could in CBJ where no one hears from him. Just wait till we hear from the Finnish media again with another Laine comment or rumour.

- I question how the players view his return if it happened. Laine didn’t endear himself at times in the past to multi team mates (Wheeler, Mark, Little, maybe KC) and that’s only what we heard as fans who knows how it was in the locker room.

- He’s injury prone, despite not being a physical player (sorry butt checks isn’t physical, slowly rubbing guys out along the boards isn’t physical)

- He off ice problems (not speculating but pretty sure we know what it was), will this be an ongoing issue for him.

- His cap hit is big, Jets have very limited cap room and IMO they shouldn’t be allocating it to a soft weak defensive winger. It’s questionable if the guy even is viewed as positive trade value, that’s how far this guy has fallen.

Even if a person doesn’t agree with each of the points above, some of them are well known and just too many red flags for me. I hope Laine gets better on and off the ice, goes somewhere for a new start but it’s a hard pass from me.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Those are fair points but the thing is most of them are based on the Laine of when he left, IMO. 3 years, especially with private Life changing effects and a history of hopefully successfully going through mental illness, can completely change a person.

I very much speak from personal experience.

Obviously, I don't know how the person and character is as of June 2024, but I highly doubt he is still the same person that wanted out 3 years ago. This is very much based on speculations of course but that is why I think everything about him making a successful return to the Jets starts and potentially ends with a very long and intimate talk between him and Chevy.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Those are fair points but the thing is most of them are based on the Laine of when he left, IMO. 3 years, especially with private Life changing effects and a history of hopefully successfully going through mental illness, can completely change a person.

I very much speak from personal experience.

Obviously, I don't know how the person and character is as of June 2024, but I highly doubt he is still the same person that wanted out 3 years ago. This is very much based on speculations of course but that is why I think everything about him making a successful return to the Jets starts and potentially ends with a very long and intimate talk between him and Chevy.

Honestly a good portion of that including most of the on ice stuff has either not changed or gotten worse. Plus he is getting treatment for his issues but that doesn't mean he will overcome them. I'm rooting for him but it's still an uphill battle and being in a fishbowl market like Winnipeg who will scrutinize him far more the CBJ market ever will is a high stress situation for someone fresh out of the assistance program.

With that being said he will have a lot less expectations placed on him if he comes cheap and retained. I have no doubt he wants to come back here because he played his best hockey here but he's going to have to shoulder the same criticism about his game and will have to be willing to work on it instead of fighting the team every step of the way about fixing the things he needs to fix. The team was never trying to derail him from being a great goalscorer. They were trying to make him more than just a goalscorer.

But Chipman might if it puts butts in the seats.
The non HF people would love to have Laine back, he was very popular

It's a weird dichotomy between putting butts in seats because a player is fun to watch and putting butts in seats because the team is good. When they overlap it's really good. When they don't you aren't really any further ahead.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Honestly a good portion of that including most of the on ice stuff has either not changed or gotten worse. Plus he is getting treatment for his issues but that doesn't mean he will overcome them. I'm rooting for him but it's still an uphill battle and being in a fishbowl market like Winnipeg who will scrutinize him far more the CBJ market ever will is a high stress situation for someone fresh out of the assistance program.

With that being said he will have a lot less expectations placed on him if he comes cheap and retained. I have no doubt he wants to come back here because he played his best hockey here but he's going to have to shoulder the same criticism about his game and will have to be willing to work on it instead of fighting the team every step of the way about fixing the things he needs to fix. The team was never trying to derail him from being a great goalscorer. They were trying to make him more than just a goalscorer.

It's a weird dichotomy between putting butts in seats because a player is fun to watch and putting butts in seats because the team is good. When they overlap it's really good. When they don't you aren't really any further ahead.

Bolded: true, it could also backfire because of exactly that aspect. I understand why people see it as way much of a risk to take on. I might look at it too optimistically - more like in the "but what If you fly?" kind of way.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bolded: true, it could also backfire because of exactly that aspect. I understand why people see it as way much of a risk to take on. I might look at it too optimistically - more like in the "but what If you fly?" kind of way.

It would be a cool redemption arc, it could also be a crash and burn story.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One thing we can be sure of , Laine won't be part of a draft day deal. He is still in the player assistance program.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's interesting, but the marketability aspect did come to mind for me as well. I do think Laine gets a bit more criticism then is deserved. He's essentially a bigger version of KC that puts up comparable results when healthy with the same short comings. But he takes far more criticism which I find a bit odd. I'd also argue it looked like he took a decent step to rounding out his game the 22-23 season. Top third metrics with good scoring and a positive 5 on 5 goal differential. Actually he's been very good in terms of 5 on 5 scoring. With goals per 60 in around 1 and well above 2 in points per 60. We definitely could use that scoring. It's his pp play that has actually fallen off.

Anyhow, he wouldn't be my first choice, but there is still a chance he could come in and play like he did his first two seasons here. If he did he'd really help the team.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
One thing we can be sure of , Laine won't be part of a draft day deal. He is still in the player assistance program.
I wonder if he can be future considerations.

It's hard tonassess whether it'd be a good idea from a distance. You need to be really close to the situation to assess whether he could be successful here next year.

It'd have to be a cheap investment.

It'd have to have the blessing of Adam Mark and Josh (and Arnie).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Can’t disagree with that

Don’t underestimate this as a potential factor.
Definitely not

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
According to Winnipeg Free Press' Mike McIntyre, he was informed by a source that the Buffalo Sabres are one of the teams who have "checked in" on Winnipeg Jets top prospect Rutger McGroarty. The other clubs that McIntyre mentioned being interested in McGroarty include the Boston Bruins, Columbus Blue Jackets, and New York Islanders.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
According to Winnipeg Free Press' Mike McIntyre, he was informed by a source that the Buffalo Sabres are one of the teams who have "checked in" on Winnipeg Jets top prospect Rutger McGroarty. The other clubs that McIntyre mentioned being interested in McGroarty include the Boston Bruins, Columbus Blue Jackets, and New York Islanders.

Going to be a fun day, Rutger & Ehlers potentially traded, potentially a 1st rd pick coming our way.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It's interesting, but the marketability aspect did come to mind for me as well. I do think Laine gets a bit more criticism then is deserved. He's essentially a bigger version of KC that puts up comparable results when healthy with the same short comings. But he takes far more criticism which I find a bit odd. I'd also argue it looked like he took a decent step to rounding out his game the 22-23 season. Top third metrics with good scoring and a positive 5 on 5 goal differential. Actually he's been very good in terms of 5 on 5 scoring. With goals per 60 in around 1 and well above 2 in points per 60. We definitely could use that scoring. It's his pp play that has actually fallen off.

Anyhow, he wouldn't be my first choice, but there is still a chance he could come in and play like he did his first two seasons here. If he did he'd really help the team.
I think Scheifele is mature enough now to know that a player like Laine could help his career too, when it comes to winning...playing with two elite finishers could give Scheifele the kind of breakout season that puts him in the upper echelon of the league...Any coach in the league would love to have a potential 100 goal line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's interesting, but the marketability aspect did come to mind for me as well. I do think Laine gets a bit more criticism then is deserved. He's essentially a bigger version of KC that puts up comparable results when healthy with the same short comings. But he takes far more criticism which I find a bit odd. I'd also argue it looked like he took a decent step to rounding out his game the 22-23 season. Top third metrics with good scoring and a positive 5 on 5 goal differential.

KC is a very under the radar personality. Patrik was much more of a quirky/star/diva

Another reason Patrik takes heat is he was drafted #2 overall and had a pretty amazing first two seasons and kind of took the league by storm as a goal scorer. He had a swagger and very high expectations were put on him by himself and the hockey world. As a teenager it looked like he might be a guy to challenge for Rockets for the next decade. Once he hit his twenties his raw goalscoring totals went down as the league’s goal scoring exploded. Although he has remained a respectable scoring winger in and around a point per game he hasn’t gotten anywhere near where he was suppose to. He is often injured and now has some other off ice struggles to deal with.

I wish the best for him on a personal level. He’s gone through allot for a young man.

From a hockey perspective it’s tough for me to be objective because I want no part of trading for Laine. Even though my instincts are telling me we need to keep 1000 miles away from Laine, Its pounding rain at the lake and I am bored so let me try to steel man a case for trading for him.

Ok this isn’t easy but here goes (I am going to open source this so feel free to add to my list but only reasons to do it for now):

#1 His stock has never been lower. Columbus wants to move on (I assume) and will most likely retain. If we can get Columbus to retain about $2 million then I think he presents value in and around the $6 million dollar mark warts and all.

#2 He only has two years left on this deal so the term isn’t crippling. If things don’t work out we could use him as an own rental or flip him at the TD for a reasonable return in the spring before free agency.

#3 If it’s part of a bigger play……he could be used in a larger package to entice Columbus to part with a more key assets in more of a blockbuster trade. We scratch your back you scratch ours type thing. We know they want McG and they have a few very prized assets that might be a bit too much to ask for 1 for 1 (Jiricek or the #4 OA).

#4 fills the top 6 RW hole in our line up and he would lessen the blow from a scoring perspective in the immediate term if we have to move on from Ehlers.

#5 Do we really have that much to lose? We are not competitive as a playoff team and it’s been a large enough sample size now that I can’t ignore it. We are not a threat to win a round let alone go on a run. Time is ticking on this core and I don’t think we have what we need to win in the playoffs so I don’t look at us having much to lose in the second season anyways. Not saying Laine will help but he can’t hurt our playoff results.

In summary it would have to be a hell of a deal and for me #3 is the only reason I would plug my nose and do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad