Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread v2.0 (Protected/Exposed List in OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't think he's improved since he first started in the NHL?? I think he's taken a huge step with Scott Stevens and hopefully can continue to learn from him.

A bit, sure. Part of it is simply physical maturity, a bit experience. In general, though, I still don't trust his play in our own end, and even in the neutral zone. He makes unsound decisions that baffle me when he has the puck. Seems to hold onto it too long, then rush an ill considered pass. Without the puck, I don't think his basic D is very good.

Some of it is physical. For all he has skating speed and power, his footwork is clumsy and needs work. How many times does he fall over when trying to cope with attacker? That footwork needs to be improved before he is anywhere near the level of Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Scandella.

My main worry about him is his decision making, though.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I have stopped giving a ****. Vegas will take who Vegas will take and we can live with that with depth in all positions. If it's Dumba, then it's Dumba, then we have to find a top-4 RHD from either within, FA or via trades, and luckily we have a lot of moveable pieces.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You don't think he's improved since he first started in the NHL?? I think he's taken a huge step with Scott Stevens and hopefully can continue to learn from him.

A bit, sure. Part of it is simply physical maturity, a bit experience. In general, though, I still don't trust his play in our own end, and even in the neutral zone. He makes unsound decisions that baffle me when he has the puck. Seems to hold onto it too long, then rush an ill considered pass. Without the puck, I don't think his basic D is very good.

Some of it is physical. For all he has skating speed and power, his footwork is clumsy and needs work. How many times does he fall over when trying to cope with attacker? That footwork needs to be improved before he is anywhere near the level of Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Scandella.

You and I see two totally different players in Dumba. I cannot agree with your assessment at all.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, what really matters is what BB and Stevens think about Dumba. You know that Fletcher wants his 7oa pick to succeed, and Dumba will be given every chance to. There is no doubt that there is room on the roster for a top 4 RHD.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I see they same things you do. Drives me batty. How many times he screws up the simple D to D pass behind the net when he gets pressure continues to baffle me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You and I see two totally different players in Dumba. I cannot agree with your assessment at all.

When you're set in your ways about how you feel about something/someone, facts don't matter. You only see what supports your argument.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Well, what really matters is what BB and Stevens think about Dumba. You know that Fletcher wants his 7oa pick to succeed, and Dumba will be given every chance to. There is no doubt that there is room on the roster for a top 4 RHD.

And Russo is on record that the organization is not happy with his play.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
When you're set in your ways about how you feel about something/someone, facts don't matter. You only see what supports your argument.

Bias works both ways. People justify his defense as "average" because they like his offense.

His defense is not average in my opinion, the question is how much below average it is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bias works both ways. People justify his defense as "average" because they like his offense.

His defense is not average in my opinion, the question is how much below average it is.

His defense is average for a NHL #4D. He's below average compared to Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, and Suter; all of which are well above average defensively.

Hell Burns is below average defensively, but most swoon over him (the beard does help). Dumba will never touch what Burns is, 5" and 50 lbs make a big difference. The fear that he will turn into the next Burns is comical.

If Dumba was a LHD he'd probably be in Iowa, on the last year of his ELC, used as an injury callup. Doubtful that Yeo would have wanted anything to do with him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Burns was never supposed to touch what Burns is either. That's why you don't let these guys go for nothing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Found the quote it's about a minute in a half total, start listening at around 34 mark of previous link. But it includes

"They are not happy with Matt Dumba right now within the organization... (more expanding)... That I am saying from a knowledge base, I know a lot of times I just throw it out there. But this is from knowledge."

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
His defense is average for a NHL #4D. He's below average compared to Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, and Suter; all of which are well above average defensively.

Hell Burns is below average defensively, but most swoon over him (the beard does help). Dumba will never touch what Burns is, 5" and 50 lbs make a big difference. The fear that he will turn into the next Burns is comical.

If Dumba was a LHD he'd probably be in Iowa, on the last year of his ELC, used as an injury callup. Doubtful that Yeo would have wanted anything to do with him.

I'm not saying Dumba doesn't have value with what he is. He does, because we've got plenty of good defenders. I don't even want him to be the guy we lose in the expansion draft, because he doesn't clear enough cap.

But the glossing over of his defeciences is atleast as common as the over-analyzing of them.

He's a below average defender with good offense, that is a net positive to an NHL team. Just not irreplaceable or untouchable in my mind.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Burns was never supposed to touch what Burns is either. That's why you don't let these guys go for nothing.

We pretty much have to lose someone for nothing with the expansion draft. Burns got us Coyle+Setoguchi and a 1st that the club whiffed on. Burns for Coyle+Setoguchi+Rakell (2 picks later) would be a much better looking trade.

Leddy+Kim Johnson for Cam Barker was a much worse trade.

I'm more worried about losing Dumba because of his cap hit than his skillset. I also would have preferred the Wild pick Trouba over Dumba.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Dumba injured? What happened to him?

I think he has a Charley Horse. Got it three games or so ago when a guy threw a hipcheck at him, I think?

If that's what it is, they really hurt, especially with guys who have strong leg muscles like pro hockey players.

Should be good to go once the stiffness wears off.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
After the season:

Scandella to Montreal for their 1st round pick (#20+)

then

Both our 1st round picks to Vegas for them to take Haula

Would 2 late 1sts in this draft be enough?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
After the season:

Scandella to Montreal for their 1st round pick (#20+)

then

Both our 1st round picks to Vegas for them to take Haula

Would 2 late 1sts in this draft be enough?

I'd rather have Brodin/Dumba over Haula+ 2 later 1sts. How many draft picks does Vegas want this year is the main question? I'm guessing they'll pick up a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad