Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think I would fire Sweeney if he valued a first round pick more than winning this year. I understand it’s a deep draft but I look at draft picks like pulls on a slot machine, you might get Jake DeBrusk, but you might also get Senyshyn or Zboril. (I know the book isn’t closed on those two prospects but would anyone consider them off-limits in a deal for Palmieri?)

The object of the game is to win the cup and having a team that is good enough to compete for first overall is rare. They have to make the most of those opportunities when they come around.

I'm a big proponent of going for it when you have the chance - and also not being shy when the playoffs are on the line. I loved the Nash trade. I agreed with not moving Loui Eriksson, whom was one of few players to actually show up that last month to try and drag them into the playoffs.
I think they should be going for it every year while you still have Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, Krug, Rask. That's as good of a veteran core as there is in the league.

Apart from the fan in me, I value playoff hockey both short and long term over that extra/higher pick. Give your team a chance to win and expose your young players to playoff hockey. That's how you create a winning team environment.

However, agree or disagree, The Bruins are viewed as one of the best draft/development teams out there nowadays so there's value in using prospects as compared to 1st rounders in TDL moves. ie. Donato for Coyle as compared to a 1st rounder or something. The Bruins get a lot of press/exposure in the NHL, and although scouts and GMs across the league have more knowledge, players in the system inherently are given more value. IMO

I differ from a few fans in the kind of player I'd like them to target. I want a vet. Clean up what you need to in the summer but this TDL I'm not looking more than the end of this season. Like the kids a lot but they need one more steady hand of the 'been there, done that' variety. Whom we all wish Backes still was. My wish list would be around a guy like E. Staal or Getzlaf - guys whom might waive their NMCs for two more chances at a Cup. I know it wouldn't be those two but just examples of the kind of 30s player I'd like to see them add.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What bothers me more is that every year players they hope/expect to "take it to the next level" don't.

If Heinen, Bjork, turned into consistent 20 - 25 goal guys and DeBrusk became a 30 - 35 goal guy, they wouldn't need to move picks/prospects out.

In the case of Bjork, he's on a 15-goal pace for the season, and that's with playing out of the top 6 for most of the time. Give him regular top-six minutes and I bet that he gets 20-25 goals per season.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In the case of Bjork, he's on a 15-goal pace for the season, and that's with playing out of the top 6 for most of the time. Give him regular top-six minutes and I bet that he gets 20-25 goals per season.

He might. Problem is that they needed it last year and again this year.

And, IMO his ceiling is 25 goals, which is fine, but when he's a 25 goal guy, my fear is that it will be after their current cup window is closed.

Reactions: Lo97

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think I would fire Sweeney if he valued a first round pick more than winning this year. I understand it’s a deep draft but I look at draft picks like pulls on a slot machine, you might get Jake DeBrusk, but you might also get Senyshyn or Zboril. (I know the book isn’t closed on those two prospects but would anyone consider them off-limits in a deal for Palmieri?)

The object of the game is to win the cup and having a team that is good enough to compete for first overall is rare. They have to make the most of those opportunities when they come around.

It is all relative to me.

If the 1st goes for Kreider who is extended past this season at fair value it must be done.

For a rental? I am not interested.

member 96824

It is all relative to me.

If the 1st goes for Kreider who is extended past this season at fair value it must be done.

For a rental? I am not interested.

It’s not that simple though.

It’s 1st vs. the asset you acquire, plus the cost of waiting (assuming that we all agree the key to a cup run is filling hole 2RW)

Waiting a year means an extra year on Bergeron, Rask, Chara, Marchand. Also means probably the loss of Krug, and some cap flexibility with DeBrusk coming off his ELC.

You have to factor in when that late 1st will play hockey games for the Bruins. If I’m a betting man, I say it’s after Bergeron and Chara are retired. Will the team have as good of a shot then for a cup as they do now? Hard to say.

To me personally, I don’t think that cost is worth holding onto a first round pick at all costs. I’m not letting that hold back my roster in 2020.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
still think hes a eric cole type north south skater and can put 25 goals a season with ease. just needs a solid chance to play on first line. only 22.

That empty netter really left an impression on you ha? Hey maybe you’re right but up til now absolutely nothing in his development would lead anyone to believe anything close to that was even remotely possible. I hope your random hunch is correct but if in the future ZS is a fixture on our first line then the organization made a ton of awful decisions and would be in deep deep trouble.

Im no Seny hater but future first line duty talk with him is just preposterous.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
He might. Problem is that they needed it last year and again this year.

And, IMO his ceiling is 25 goals, which is fine, but when he's a 25 goal guy, my fear is that it will be after their current cup window is closed.

I forgot to mention also that Bjork gets no PP time, either.

As for the bolded, I think that the cup window closed last year (and the stars certainly aligned for the team in not having to play Tampa and Washington in the playoffs, which won't happen again, I'd think). Trading for a Kreider, Toffoli, etc. will ultimately be for naught, and Boston should instead begin a minor retool going forward.

Reactions: Lo97 and neelynugs

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Senyshyn was 15th overall? Pastrnak 25th? Draft is a mixed bag. I agree with the sentiment that the core deserves another run. A late 1st for a game changing top-6 forward is a gamble I’d be willing to take.

On another note, I like the look of DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork. I hope Bruce gives them some time to improve their chemistry.

Reactions: Flannelman

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I would think that Sweeney would attempt to work an extension with Kreider into the dealings in some way. Not sure on what's allowed and whatnot, but at the very least getting a sense of his openness in doing so and what the ask would be. Could he be cool with signing 6 - 7 mil to make things easier to field a contending team? If that can be paired with getting Backes off the books and maybe some other money like Miller, Moore, and some other bottom guys, does that become an essential swap of Backes for Kreider, money freed for Krug re-signing and raise, fill in bottom 6 with young ELC or league minimum players? I haven't played around with things to this depth but it seems possible if they bite the bullet on a couple guys, maybe trade someone you don't really want to but is more a luxury.

Reactions: Strafer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
step 1: trade for Kreider
step 2: trade for this guy

At first I thought you were advocating for acquiring the 38 year old guy (Pyorala). :biglaugh:

Yes, we should absolutely look into trading for Puljujarvi, but that doesn't help this year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It’s not that simple though.

It’s 1st vs. the asset you acquire, plus the cost of waiting (assuming that we all agree the key to a cup run is filling hole 2RW)

Waiting a year means an extra year on Bergeron, Rask, Chara, Marchand. Also means probably the loss of Krug, and some cap flexibility with DeBrusk coming off his ELC.

You have to factor in when that late 1st will play hockey games for the Bruins. If I’m a betting man, I say it’s after Bergeron and Chara are retired. Will the team have as good of a shot then for a cup as they do now? Hard to say.

To me personally, I don’t think that cost is worth holding onto a first round pick at all costs. I’m not letting that hold back my roster in 2020.

Good post.

But, I don't buy bolded.

Who they play in the playoffs, injury situation at the time and plain old luck seem to be more keys to a long Cup run.

Reactions: Lo97 and BrainOfJ

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
After the TDL, if the 2nd line RW is set combination of Kuhlman/Bjork/Heinen, then I don't see this team winning it. Even with the addition of a Kreider, you still have a massive hole on the right side.
been meaning to reply to this since yesterday...

I get what you're saying, but if you add a Palmieri for example then you still have all 3 of those guys in the mix. Do you separate JDB and Coyle? I'd rather not with how good that line has looked recently. So then you possibly end up with Bjork or Heinen as your 2nd line LW so it's kind of a wash, no?

Kreider, assuming you can't play him reliably at RW, means you can't really load up your 2nd line the way we'd like, but it lets you keep JDB with Coyle so you end up with sort of a 2A/2B situation in your middle 6. I guess it's just a question of how you want the lineup balanced, but I think Kreider's speed and physicality adds an element this team really needs so I'm willing to roll the dice that he and DK will work well with someone like Kuhlman on the right side.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Outside of a few prospects, there isn’t much I wouldn’t move to make this team ready for another shot at the cup.

This may be it for this core of guys. They should be all in on this season.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Dreger on TSN radio today, said the Leafs are trying to make a play for Dumba. Threw-out the names of Ceci and Kapanen in play from Toronto's standpoint. Im thinking Minny could get a whole lot more for Dumba.

Yeah, Nylander would be the starting point there.

Reactions: Lo97 and TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad