Confirmed with Link: Alexander Wennberg signed to ELC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It will be interesting to follow. Will JK keep prospects in the AHL to learn to play within the CBJ system until it becomes automatic or will he let them learn how on the big club?

I think he will let them play in the AHL, unless they are too good. I just feel Wennberg will prove he is ready next year. A lot of it will depend on what other moves we make and if there is a spot for him.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
It will be interesting to follow. Will JK keep prospects in the AHL to learn to play within the CBJ system until it becomes automatic or will he let them learn how on the big club?

General or perhaps still only modern European viewpoint in team sports is that if you are good enough, you should be on the team no matter the age or anything inexperience related.

Wennberg is around 20 when the season starts and has an extra year behind him (being year older) compared to Barkov or MacKinnon so that should help?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know if my memory is right on this, but I don't think many expected Jenner to make the team last year, even after his strong start to camp and even though we knew Horton wouldn't start the season. So there's precedent for a player playing his way onto the team.

But the Jackets should, hopefully, be deeper heading into next season. And could Wennberg make the switch from center to wing like Boone if needed?

Plus, Cannoli's idea of learning the Jacket way has some appeal.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
General or perhaps still only modern European viewpoint in team sports is that if you are good enough, you should be on the team no matter the age or anything inexperience related.

I think that's a common belief in the US as well. The question is how does the team's management define good enough?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I believe if Wennberg doesn't make the big club he'll complete his contract in Sweden. I thought he had another year left on his contract but I assume there is an "out" clause for the NHL.

If he forces his was on to the team that would likely mean movement with existing players to get an upgrade on the wing. That's not a bad problem to have but I don't think we need to get younger if we aren't going to be markedly better.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Wennberg did not come to training camp last season, instead remaining in Sweden to get bigger and stronger. There's still a small chance he could return to Sweden next season, but that seems unlikely now -- even if he doesn't earn a roster spot with the Blue Jackets out of training camp.

"Of course the goal next year is to play in the NHL," Wennberg said. "But If they think the AHL could help me develop, I'm playing there instead of heading back to Sweden."

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/05/wennberg-signs-entry-deal.html

He's not going back to Sweden. I also agree he doesn't make the team out of camp but I bet he's on the roster by Thanksgiving and I bet he is there on the final day of the season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he will let them play in the AHL, unless they are too good. I just feel Wennberg will prove he is ready next year. A lot of it will depend on what other moves we make and if there is a spot for him.

I don't know if my memory is right on this, but I don't think many expected Jenner to make the team last year, even after his strong start to camp and even though we knew Horton wouldn't start the season. So there's precedent for a player playing his way onto the team.

But the Jackets should, hopefully, be deeper heading into next season. And could Wennberg make the switch from center to wing like Boone if needed?

Plus, Cannoli's idea of learning the Jacket way has some appeal.

It would be great if he could and I don't know why he couldn't. Plus I've got just the spot for him. :nod:

Edit: But only if he is ready. No need to rush him and hinder his development.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It would be great if he could and I don't know why he couldn't. Plus I've got just the spot for him. :nod:

Edit: But only if he is ready. No need to rush him and hinder his development.

He's already played center and wing so where we put him wouldn't matter. He's played a lot of LW i believe

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Whether he makes the roster out of camp will depend upon the moves made in the off-season to add skill.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The comparison of this situation and Boone's is a good one. For some reason, Wennberg seems like more of a natural center to me than Boone does. In the long run, I'd personally like to keep Boone on a wing and play Wennberg as a center. Obviously, this eventually makes Arty expendable, unless he moves to wing or centers the 4th line, which I'm not sure he'd really want to do.

But what's awesome is, with Wennberg, and soon Rychel, Bjorkstrand, and Dano, the depth will be unreal. We're going to have a hard time deciding who to keep and who to let go.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The comparison of this situation and Boone's is a good one. For some reason, Wennberg seems like more of a natural center to me than Boone does. In the long run, I'd personally like to keep Boone on a wing and play Wennberg as a center. Obviously, this eventually makes Arty expendable, unless he moves to wing or centers the 4th line, which I'm not sure he'd really want to do.

But what's awesome is, with Wennberg, and soon Rychel, Bjorkstrand, and Dano, the depth will be unreal. We're going to have a hard time deciding who to keep and who to let go.

I have been playing around with a spread sheet of the Jacket's roster for the next 5-7 years and assuming that Wennberg, Rychel & Dano & Bjorkstrand all develop I don't see a real spot for Arty-even if he switches to W.

This is what I project/fantasize? the Jackets could look like 3-4 yrs out:

Rychel Joey Horton
Jenner Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Dubi Cam
Letestu Dano Anderson

Note the absence of both Foligno & Arty. Pretty sure it won't play out this way but I see Arty as pretty decent trade bait the season after next. Foligno as tradeable too, but of the two I think he is more likely to be re-upped for a 2-3 year deal. Cam could also be gone and Foligno staying.

If my projection plays out, that will still be a very young team with the exception of Dubi & Letestu (and they won't be ancient) if all goes according to plan.

And of course there is the possibility of added talent from trade returns or UFA signings.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I have been playing around with a spread sheet of the Jacket's roster for the next 5-7 years and assuming that Wennberg, Rychel & Dano & Bjorkstrand all develop I don't see a real spot for Arty-even if he switches to W.

This is what I project/fantasize? the Jackets could look like 3-4 yrs out:

Rychel Joey Horton
Jenner Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Dubi Cam
Letestu Dano Anderson

Note the absence of both Foligno & Arty. Pretty sure it won't play out this way but I see Arty as pretty decent trade bait the season after next. Foligno as tradeable too, but of the two I think he is more likely to be re-upped for a 2-3 year deal. Cam could also be gone and Foligno staying.

If my projection plays out, that will still be a very young team with the exception of Dubi & Letestu (and they won't be ancient) if all goes according to plan.

And of course there is the possibility of added talent from trade returns or UFA signings.

Not to mention the continued development of Murray, Savard and hopefully Reilly and Heatherington.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not to mention the continued development of Murray, Savard and hopefully Reilly and Heatherington.

I was looking at just the offense but yes you are right. Throw in Erixon and Prout as hopefuls and and the Jackets have the potential
to be a very good young team in 3-4 years. With Bob and Forsberg/Dansk also a potential solid G corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad