Prospect Info: Alex DeBrincat - 2016 39th Overall (RW) /// UPDATE 11/7: signed to 3-yr ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Posters are getting carried away with the MS thing regarding Bickell. He was lazy, questionable desire (other than getting cup ring or money), etc. before he was diagnosed. He played in the NHL alot of the same way he played as an Ottawa 67.. always wanting more from him.

I don't think desire or lack thereof was the issue so much as he shredded his knee during the hero run in 2013 and had surgery on it in the off-season. There was a pretty marked decrease in his explosiveness and speed thereafter. And then he hurt his OTHER knee the December of 2013, which pretty much killed his mobility.

His 2013 playoff run could be summed up as, make great pass off the wall, barrel to the front of the net, receive pass back, tip shot, or bat in rebound. Obviously a ludicrous 20% sh% helped make the most of that formula, but he was genuinely active and impactful in the play beyond just putting the puck in. Which is why, despite starting on the 3rd line, he gradually made his way up to the 2nd line, and then the 1st line. Every line he played on was putting up more shots than they did without him. That's not simple PDO.

After he shredded his knee, he couldn't get there and back as fast to work on cycles and get to the front of the net. So you saw more reliance on his shot (which was good, but slow to get off), and dump-ins and mashing D. Which is fine, but he wasn't going to have the same impact or be able to complement a more dynamic Kane/Toews offensive pairing like that.

He still worked pretty well on a top line cycle with Hossa and Toews in that 2014 run though.

I don't think the MS thing was really an issue til the '15 and '16 seasons. At that point you started seeing him fall down more and looking constantly off balance.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Posters are getting carried away with the MS thing regarding Bickell. He was lazy, questionable desire (other than getting cup ring or money), etc. before he was diagnosed. He played in the NHL alot of the same way he played as an Ottawa 67.. always wanting more from him.

Bickell also played a key role in winning a Stanley Cup!

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I don't think desire or lack thereof was the issue so much as he shredded his knee during the hero run in 2013 and had surgery on it in the off-season.

Exactly why I said cup ring. When he's motivated for something (I should've said having his name engraved on the cup, which is what he really cared about) he's a very effective player. I've seen Bickell enough since he was a teenager to know about coaches benching or yelling at him because of his laziness and heart on the ice.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't think desire or lack thereof was the issue so much as he shredded his knee during the hero run in 2013 and had surgery on it in the off-season. There was a pretty marked decrease in his explosiveness and speed thereafter. And then he hurt his OTHER knee the December of 2013, which pretty much killed his mobility.

His 2013 playoff run could be summed up as, make great pass off the wall, barrel to the front of the net, receive pass back, tip shot, or bat in rebound. Obviously a ludicrous 20% sh% helped make the most of that formula, but he was genuinely active and impactful in the play beyond just putting the puck in. Which is why, despite starting on the 3rd line, he gradually made his way up to the 2nd line, and then the 1st line. Every line he played on was putting up more shots than they did without him. That's not simple PDO.

After he shredded his knee, he couldn't get there and back as fast to work on cycles and get to the front of the net. So you saw more reliance on his shot (which was good, but slow to get off), and dump-ins and mashing D. Which is fine, but he wasn't going to have the same impact or be able to complement a more dynamic Kane/Toews offensive pairing like that.

He still worked pretty well on a top line cycle with Hossa and Toews in that 2014 run though.

I don't think the MS thing was really an issue til the '15 and '16 seasons. At that point you started seeing him fall down more and looking constantly off balance.

You nailed it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002

But he was terrific in the Memorial Cup win fir tge 67s ..and he was goid in the AHL..."always wanting more from Bickell is so so off it is a disgusting comment..IF YOU EXPECTED him to be equal to a first round talent by scouts conensus. . Remember that he was never a first round pick. HE was what he was but there is no reason to call him.kszy m.therecwere some health issues that clearly affected what he could have done for us after his bug contract extention ..But I do not see why Country Club Toews gets a rfee pass on lazy layzy play the last 2 seasons (except for his 6 week burst of exertion before he returns back to lazy /meh play )but for the "he must bebimhured"excuse his xefenders keep hinting at without any proffered. AT LEAST with Bickell we know about the health issues ..with Toews there never has been any proof that injuries are the cause of his less than stellar efforts and production the last 2 seasons ...So if you wsntvtobusevtgevterm lazy ..better use it on that fat-cat $10.5 million per xslvalbatrossvtgat Toews has become the past 2 seaon exceptvfor hisv6 week "burst" episodes.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
But he was terrific in the Memorial Cup win fir tge 67s ..and he was goid in the AHL..."always wanting more from Bickell is so so off it is a disgusting comment..IF YOU EXPECTED him to be equal to a first round talent by scouts conensus. . Remember that he was never a first round pick. HE was what he was but there is no reason to call him.kszy m.therecwere some health issues that clearly affected what he could have done for us after his bug contract extention ..But I do not see why Country Club Toews gets a rfee pass on lazy layzy play the last 2 seasons (except for his 6 week burst of exertion before he returns back to lazy /meh play )but for the "he must bebimhured"excuse his xefenders keep hinting at without any proffered. AT LEAST with Bickell we know about the health issues ..with Toews there never has been any proof that injuries are the cause of his less than stellar efforts and production the last 2 seasons ...So if you wsntvtobusevtgevterm lazy ..better use it on that fat-cat $10.5 million per xslvalbatrossvtgat Toews has become the past 2 seaon exceptvfor hisv6 week "burst" episodes.

bickell rep was that he was lazy and needed to get motivated to play the style he was most successful in.

the whole MS was or came in much later. i am not in the medical field so i can not tell of the symptoms is underline or comes on with certain body growth or something like that. until then, i am incline to think that he came on and shown its symptoms later in life.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes the roster is pathetic and it's not built for playoff hockey and this the outcome, how can you disassociate the performance when it counts most from the product? Let's just blame this loss on "they played like ****", get real bud! The experts in here are so "experty" lol

Not built for the playoffs? Toews not performing or seeming to care killed the first line along with Q reverting back to his "make the rookies earn it and playing games with them". AA being clearly hurt killed the second line (Kane and AP were not great either). This is not an excuse, it is a fact. The Kruger line was actually decent so I can't complain there and the 4th line was Q'd (see the point about him reverting). Our D played terribly outside of TVR, Soupy, and Kempny (but it was too late and he made a few mistakes but this is more on Q for playing Oduya over him and Stan trading for Oduya aka giving Q his toy back (it was a fine trade value wise)).

So are Toews, Kane, Keith, Hammer, and Seabrook not "playoff" type player? Hint they are. The player played brutally but Q messed it up even worse after the TDL. This series is more of a coin flip if the Hawks come to play specifically the Top 6 and top 2 pairings.

So again you are incorrect in your assessment that the roster is pathetic.

No one is claiming to be an expert "bud", we are just showing why your assessment is just plain wrong.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Pre 2015, Bickell spoke of having to pace himself during the season because he knew his body would not hold up. I don't consider this having a "heart of Bambi". I can't speak for his Junior days but Bickell always seemed to raise his game during the playoffs.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
bickell rep was that he was lazy and needed to get motivated to play the style he was most successful in.

the whole MS was or came in much later. i am not in the medical field so i can not tell of the symptoms is underline or comes on with certain body growth or something like that. until then, i am incline to think that he came on and shown its symptoms later in life.

I don't think it's safe for anyone to know what went on with the MS. It doesn't even sound like the Blackhawk physicians knew what to make of things.

There are different ways MS progresses: progressive relapsing, secondary progressive, primary progressive, relapsing/remitting.

We don't know what the guy is dealing with. For all we know he has relapsing/remitting for awhile with intermittent attacks before returning to baseline and everyone thinks he's turning his switch off an on.

This guy's work ethic has been assainated on this board for years. The fact he has a very real and significant neurological disease for an unspecified amount of time should give us some pause.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think it's safe for anyone to know what went on with the MS. It doesn't even sound like the Blackhawk physicians knew what to make of things.

There are different ways MS progresses: progressive relapsing, secondary progressive, primary progressive, relapsing/remitting.

We don't know what the guy is dealing with. For all we know he has relapsing/remitting for awhile with intermittent attacks before returning to baseline and everyone thinks he's turning his switch off an on.

This guy's work ethic has been assainated on this board for years. The fact he has a very real and significant neurological disease for an unspecified amount of time should give us some pause.

i totally agree and i need to add myself in that group or should remind myself of the on / off symptoms. i will admit, i have never been a fan of bickell, so anytime some negative opinions comes out, i am right there.

you make a excellent point and many thanks. now i need to refrain from bashing him.

Nikita Gucherov

Mar 12, 2015
Could have swore I clicked on the Debrincat thread.

Could a mod check and make sure the title didn't get messed up somehow...??

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

If your new to the Blackhawks subforum, you'll notice the same people love to derail every thread with the same uninformed nonsense.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014

If your new to the Blackhawks subforum, you'll notice the same people love to derail every thread with the same uninformed nonsense.

Yeah, this happens in the summer months. Everybody goes off on different tangents that drastically changes the thread into endless bickering about anything and everything.

Just another reason why it sucks that the Hawks aren't still playing hockey.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Debrincat is really good and absolutely should get a look on the main roster to start the season next year.

And not because the Blackhawks roster is particularly weak or anything. Just because he's already shown he's that good.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Donno if it's been posted but new translation factors came out. With debrincat at 2 Ppg and a factor of .30 for the Ohl he'd be worth about 50 points in the NHL over 82 games.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Erie led Saint John 5-2 after the 1st period tonight ....they look like the Harlem globetrotters ...dominating the play, shots and score .....Saint John certainly looks way off their normal game ...but Erie looks like they are in their very best form...DeBrincat has just 1a ....he got it on 2 on 1 rush with SlDylan Strome...DeBrincat carried bit over the line ..Swedish ..and a wicked shot for a goal by Strome... Late bin the period non a power play ,DeBrincat hit the post on a wicked quick relese shot ....shots are 17-4 in favour of Erie...total domination... Rough period for Matt Highmore and his line ....While they were on for 1 of the 2 Saint John goals,they also were non for 3 goals against by the Erie line with Anthony Cirelli and Taylor Raddysh and Kyle Maxim9vich ...during the regular season it was DeBrincat Strome and Taylor Raddysh as the top line for Erie. ..but in the OHL Championship series,Erie changed then lines and put Cirelli with Taylor Raddysh and Maximovich ...They kept Debrincat and Strome together .and put Foegle on RW on the.line...Tonight the Highmore line for Saint John was dominated by the Cirelli -T.Raddysh line ...So Highmore is -2 and Cirelli is +3 ....however there was 1 shift when Highmore was on against the DeBrincat -Strome line .. And Highmore and DeBrincat engaged in some poking and shoving of each other..almost a fight but they did not go that far...

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Now 7-2 for Erie..another pp goal on the 5x54after their 5x3 goal ...DeBrincat got his 2nd assist on this goal.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
DeBrincat only has 2 assists on the 7 Erie goals so far and only has 1 shot on goal..but he did hit the post..He has set up Dylan Strome on several shots that were not converted apart from Strome's 2 goals that were conversions 9f st ups by DeBrincat.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Highmore finally gets a scoring chance but stopped by Erie's goalie...Only the 10th shot on goal for Saint John to 30 for Erie ...about 6 minutes remain in the 2nd period.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Erie brought their A game form everyone...coming in waves...Saint John playing their stinker game of the entire season.. And so this is the result ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad