Speculation: Alex Burrows

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
There was a something about the look on his face after his turn in the shootout that said "it's been nice".

Supernatural-Dean.gif

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
His story alone should be inspiration to the kids. If you work hard you can overcome the odds. Burrows went from an undrafted ECHL nobody to a key contributor on the best line in the entire NHL, it's quite the story.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
I'm hoping we re-sign him. We need veterans to play with the young guys, Burrows is a good fit for that. He may want to have a chance to win it all though, he isn't getting any younger.

why do we need burrows, we already have the best vet to play with and teach the young guys

CfqF5dBWEAAzw47.jpg:large

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
To lay the groundwork for this thread, these are the facts that are not in dispute:

- Burrows makes a 3M salary next year but carries a 4.5M cap hit.
- Burrows is not under contract after next season.
- Buying out Burrows would save 2M in cap space for 2016-17.
- Buying out Burrows would reduce 1M in cap space for 2017-18.

I don't even remotely think it is worth it. Burrows is probably worth about 2M on the open market, so there is not even any real cap savings at all once you factor in replaced value. Just let him play one more year and not ****ing buy out a player who is already a Canuck legend.

This x100000000

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Buying out Burrows makes no sense which is why I have a feeling management will do it. Common sense and logic has not been a part of any moves made previously by this management team.

Grasping at straws here but:

1 - Buyout gives Benning more cap space for Lucic
2 - Burrows has a negative rep which impacts the team in the "intangibles"

This is coming from a Burrows fan, there is really no good reason to buy him out. That's probably the best reason why he's gone.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Alex Burrows is one of the most hated figures in the league.

Canucks are unable to attract free agents. They have to scrub their image in hockey somehow. They tried to shed Burrows before last season. When he balked they told him to behave. He did and it hurt his game somewhat.

I do not think Aquilini savors the buyout. I think he views it as an admission of foolishness.

The best place for Burrows is in Utica, mentoring like Keane.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Alex Burrows is one of the most hated figures in the league.

Canucks are unable to attract free agents. They have to scrub their image in hockey somehow. They tried to shed Burrows before last season. When he balked they told him to behave. He did and it hurt his game somewhat.

I do not think Aquilini savors the buyout. I think he views it as an admission of foolishness.

The best place for Burrows is in Utica, mentoring like Keane.

It's never been an issue. At all.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sure it has. Like 2003-2008 or so it was clearly an issue.

I remember when our big free agent signing was Magnus Arvedson.

Pre Aquilini, money was an issue.

After the cap was first introduced, having cap space was an issue.
Those issues were pretty much gone by 2008 when the cap went up.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Sure it has. Like 2003-2008 or so it was clearly an issue.

I remember when our big free agent signing was Magnus Arvedson.

Maybe for a while when budgets were tight in the early 2000s.

But in the last decade we've been one of top teams in the league at attracting high-profile UFAs when we had cap space (Sundin, Demitra, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Garrison, Vrbata, Miller unfortunately.)

It might be harder this summer because we're such a crap team, but there's little reason to think this is a huge issue or that Burrows is somehow a negative influence here...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Keep. Re-sign for half the salary. He's of more use than Dorsett and others. Getting younger for the sake of being young is not the way to go - just look at Edmonton Oilers who sucks year after year, #1 pick after #1 pick. There IS something there about bad mentorship and being TOO young.

Keep.

Although I agree with the keeping him and being more use than Dorsett, I don't think mentorship is the issue with the Oilers. Their problem is bad management who can't assemble a bottom 6 or defence, and not being able to attract free agents due to their perpetual suckage and undesirableness of Edmonton in general.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Will be sorry to see Burrows go, but has to happen....league has gotten a lot faster in recent seasons, and Burr just can't get there any more....he was always kind of darting skater who hit the holes and found space, but really noticeable now he's lost a step....I assume it'll be a good payday for him if he's bought out at full salary, and then catches on somewhere else next season....would like to see him return to the organization in some capacity once his playing days are done.:handclap:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pre Aquilini, money was an issue.

After the cap was first introduced, having cap space was an issue.
Those issues were pretty much gone by 2008 when the cap went up.

Yeah in the pre-cap post Messier/early Naslund-Bertuzzi days the team was operating on an internal budget of about $45 million, and never had the space to add anyone significant. That was also a time when with no salary cap all the big UFA's only went to a few select teams.

Then the introduction of the salary cap balanced that out but from our perspective it came at the same time our top players were entering their peak salary years and had to be paid UFA money. So we lost good players to free agency for nothing, a stark contrast to our rivals in Calgary who still had their stars on RFA bridge deals and could go shopping.

So we spent a long time in a position where we couldn't be players in the UFA market, and that didn't change until the summer Nonis was fired and Gillis brought in. That was the first time since we signed Messier that we could actually go out and spend, and we did well enough attracting players.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Grasping at straws here but:

1 - Buyout gives Benning more cap space for Lucic
2 - Burrows has a negative rep which impacts the team in the "intangibles"

This is coming from a Burrows fan, there is really no good reason to buy him out. That's probably the best reason why he's gone.

Going after Lucic would be a huge mistake.

He's a 28 year old soon to be UFA in the summer, same as Okposo. Both of them know this is their last shot at a big contract, so they are going to want term of 6-7 years. How good are these power forwards going to be in years 4,5,6,7 of a long term deal? That is the biggest concern I would have as those are the years the Canucks will begin to pay their youngsters after they get out of ELC.

Financially, Burrows will likely come out ahead from a buyout. He's get his $2 million buyout and likely would get $1 million in salary on a 1 year contract.

Comes down to what the Canucks management expects the team to be next season? Are they foolish enough to believe that they are a playoff team next season? Make the playoffs and go up against LA/Ana or one of the Central teams? Would be a 1 and done.

Mission right now is to focus of developing a new core. Establish and obtain foundation pieces for the next cup run. That's got to be the main goal.

I personally have no issue if Burrows goes. Benning has until late June to make a trade to get Burrows to another team before the team has to decide on a buyout. Is eating 1/2 of Burrow's cap hit at $2.25 worth dealing him for something? Both sides might be best off with a trade.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Will be sorry to see Burrows go, but has to happen....league has gotten a lot faster in recent seasons, and Burr just can't get there any more....he was always kind of darting skater who hit the holes and found space, but really noticeable now he's lost a step....I assume it'll be a good payday for him if he's bought out at full salary, and then catches on somewhere else next season....would like to see him return to the organization in some capacity once his playing days are done.:handclap:

Why does it have to happen? If he can catch on somewhere else then why not here? Nobody's suggesting we extend him for another long term deal, but we are taking the cap hit regardless, what's the point of letting him go?

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
why do we need burrows, we already have the best vet to play with and teach the young guys

CfqF5dBWEAAzw47.jpg:large

I would definitely keep Burrows over Dorsett but nobody will take Dorsett at that deal even after another year if, potentially, there's an expansion draft. It would likely have to be a buy-out or waivers to Utica.

I didn't see the game last night but Dorsett doing that, especially in Game 82, is a lousy example for the younger players and he should not return next year as a result. Whatever it takes, they need to find a way to dump him.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
i'm surprised how many boarders are still holding out hope that this management team will do the right thing and retain burrows for one more season

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
i'm surprised how many boarders are still holding out hope that this management team will do the right thing and retain burrows for one more season

Just hope we get Mathews or Laine because there rebuild is over if we are that desperate for cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad