Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
that really sucks, he was a high 2nd round pick, all for nothing. even let him develop for 2yrs. i guess get whatever you can, or an equal-ish prospect. i still have my worries about his foot speed, hes so small and stumpy. he has the shot but you need more.

but hey, at least we can trade one of them and i wont be looked down upon for having the gal of trading a single one of our prospects because theyre all going to be star players.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Only that i understand it correct, he is able to sign with a Team befor he get re-drafted? Or will join the Draft befor the FA Signings? Isn´t it that he get in the Draft before he is able to sign with a Team he likes? and the rights for him run till 1st July?
Panthers own his NHL rights until early June (don't recall the exact date), if he's not signed by that date, then Mascherin re-enters the draft.

Trading his rights has two options.

1) Panthers management gives Mascherin's agent permission to talk to other teams, his agent finds a team with the right $$ offer, then they turn to Panthers and the mystery team to work out a trade. Mascherin gets traded for something, he signs with the team acquiring his rights.

or 2) There isn't a proper market for Mascherin or/and the teams he's interested are low-balling what they'd give up for his rights (say a 7th round pick). In this case, we may be forced to then trade Mascherin's rights to a team that isn't included in his preferred teams list, a team that is hoping to use the time left until he re-enters the draft to change his mind to sign with that team. However the value in a trade like that would be low, more than likely a conditional pick (or picks) where we'd be left with nothing if he doesn't sign.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Panthers own his NHL rights until early June (don't recall the exact date), if he's not signed by that date, then Mascherin re-enters the draft.

Trading his rights has two options.

1) Panthers management gives Mascherin's agent permission to talk to other teams, his agent finds a team with the right $$ offer, then they turn to Panthers and the mystery team to work out a trade. Mascherin gets traded for something, he signs with the team acquiring his rights.

or 2) There isn't a proper market for Mascherin or/and the teams he's interested are low-balling what they'd give up for his rights (say a 7th round pick). In this case, we may be forced to then trade Mascherin's rights to a team that isn't included in his preferred teams list, a team that is hoping to use the time left until he re-enters the draft to change his mind to sign with that team. However the value in a trade like that would be low, more than likely a conditional pick (or picks) where we'd be left with nothing if he doesn't sign.

I was interested in this because i think the value is 50/50. In one Hand Mascherin doesn´t want to sign with the Panthers and maybe wanna go to a list of Teams. But there is no garanty for him when he re-enter the Draft that he get picked by a team who say is good enough we take him with the risk. Whats then he goes right trough the same again.

So i think the Panthers have something in the Hands, cause normally, we had the same kind of Discussion in a other Thread, mostly the Agent/Father whatever stand behind that kind of decision. And it couldn´t be in the will of his Agent, that his Client might go trough the same Stuff again. So his Agent might will do something that his Player are able to get to the right Team.
I doesn´t know who his Agent is and which GM he is been friendly with.

5 Hole

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
I don't know anything about this guy - but forget him if this is the route he wants to go.

I say trade him to Montreal or draft him again when he reenters and bury him.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Marody has another year left until he can opt for free agency, so the two cases aren't really comparable.

Mascherin's draft position means very little when he's holding all the cards and the teams interested in him know that. A 3rd round pick would be a positive surprise, but I'm not counting on it. All depends whether he has a list of teams he'd sign with and if those teams are interested.

It doesn't matter. A guy like this has no leverage. He can have a list all he wants, but fact is he either gets traded to another team and signs there or goes back into the draft and goes to a team he also can't choose. He's not a free-agent and he hasn't been in the league X numbers of years to have leverage in a situation like this.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
that really sucks, he was a high 2nd round pick, all for nothing. even let him develop for 2yrs. i guess get whatever you can, or an equal-ish prospect. i still have my worries about his foot speed, hes so small and stumpy. he has the shot but you need more.

but hey, at least we can trade one of them and i wont be looked down upon for having the gal of trading a single one of our prospects because theyre all going to be star players.

Small and stumpy, disagree. Foot speed is average, but that's something that can be worked on. Look at Hunt, he's come a long way. Mascherin is built like a truck and really good down low and along the boards. We all know size doesn't mean much these days. If you want to hate on small, we better get rid of Heponiemi.

Plus, there's only so much money you can throw at him before you reset the market on what a guy at his draft slot should make.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
5th round pick Corban Knight told Tallon he wouldn't sign and he traded his rights to Calgary for a 4th rounder since he lives and grew up in the vicinity. He worked out in the off-seasons with Calgary players and I can only speculate that informal tampering took place that put a bug up his ass that the Flames were the place to be for a 3C. He found out the hard way that it was all BS and in usual Talloness fashion he bought him back out of spite for 2nd round pick Drew Shore (who also thought he was the next coming of Bobby Clarke and wanted out of the Cats organization)....................gee what a deal. Both guys are still toiling away in Palookaville hoping for one last shot at the NHL.

So all that maneuvering around by Tallon for a 5th round pick (who never wanted to be here) that cost us a 2nd (Shore) and we picked up Michael Downing (4th rounder) who looks to be a bust.:laugh:

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We all know size doesn't mean much these days. If you want to hate on small, we better get rid of Heponiemi.
i never said i hate small. hes 200lb at 5'9, if that isnt small and stumpy then i dont know what is, 250+? when i think of players who are 5'10 let alone 5'9 i think of guys like trocheck usually right around the 180lb mark. 200+ at his size is good for keeping his balance, staying strong on the puck and not getting knocked off, board work, etc. his weight at that height is what worries me a little, not the height itself. just like hepo on the opposite side of the spectrum where id want him to gain a little more weight.

but his foot speed would be below average. his coach i believe during his draft year even mentioned how theyd like to see him get quicker for his size. im not bashing him for his size vertically or his weight, im just saying that at that size and that heavy, below average speed, it is a potential bump for him to overcome to be a mainstay in the league. im still confident he can carve his way into a middle-6 role somewhere with top-6 potential but we'll see what happens with him.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^He's an odd looking guy. Pinocchio's nose grew when he lied and Mascherin's chin grows. In a few years he'll give Leno a run for his money. :laugh:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It doesn't matter. A guy like this has no leverage. He can have a list all he wants, but fact is he either gets traded to another team and signs there or goes back into the draft and goes to a team he also can't choose. He's not a free-agent and he hasn't been in the league X numbers of years to have leverage in a situation like this.
My point wasn't that we have to trade him, but more of that if management wants to get an actual pick (/picks) for his rights, there needs to be discussion between Mascherin's agent and the team he wants to sign with (Panthers management would have to give their blessing for this to happen, which I'm sure they'd have no problem with in this situation) to ensure that he is going to sign with that team after he gets traded. We're only getting conditional picks (that turn into nothing if he doesn't sign) if we're trading him to some random team that Mascherin might have zero interest in.

Known >> unknown, basically.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Losing a pick to the draft or free agency happens and is the cost of doing business. Thankfully we have enough prospect depth and our drafting lately looks good.

Only mistake, imo, was not moving him for a depth d-man at the trade deadline or getting value then.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Lot of negative talk on here about Mascherin. he was happy to be drafted by Florida. He had shoulder issues when he was drafted and finally had surgery to repair it. He has arguably the fastest release in the OHL and his shot is so heavy he blows it past unsuspecting goaltenders. The issue is not that he wants to go to another team. It's the fact that Florida totally ignored him when he went through his surgery. Florida could have easily signed him but never did and this could be has last kick at the can in junior. Other draftees in junior are looked after by the team drafting them. Not Florida. Huge mistake. Hope he goes on and scores fifty goals a year with another squad. Florida snubbed him big time and it would be a lesson for their franchise to show more respect. GM should have more class.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Lot of negative talk on here about Mascherin. he was happy to be drafted by Florida. He had shoulder issues when he was drafted and finally had surgery to repair it. He has arguably the fastest release in the OHL and his shot is so heavy he blows it past unsuspecting goaltenders. The issue is not that he wants to go to another team. It's the fact that Florida totally ignored him when he went through his surgery. Florida could have easily signed him but never did and this could be has last kick at the can in junior. Other draftees in junior are looked after by the team drafting them. Not Florida. Huge mistake. Hope he goes on and scores fifty goals a year with another squad. Florida snubbed him big time and it would be a lesson for their franchise to show more respect. GM should have more class.
link to reliable source?

Reactions: BabyBarkov

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I found Adam Mascherin's account.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

What does "ignore him during surgery" mean exactly?

Did he want the team to be the one that operated and rehab him?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This would have not been an issue if the club signed him. My guess is they probably weren't going to as he was a high pick and not signed yet. Good move by him and maybe the Panthers for both to move on IMO.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
This would have not been an issue if the club signed him. My guess is they probably weren't going to as he was a high pick and not signed yet. Good move by him and maybe the Panthers for both to move on IMO.

Huh? Are you saying the team wouldn't sign him unless he got his surgery and it upset him?

Or?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
so you have no source

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad