Prospect Info: Adam Mascherin (2016, #38 overall, UP: Re-enters draft), Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Ideally, we get a second/third round pick and use it to draft a defencemen or another goalie. Would be nice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This would have not been an issue if the club signed him. My guess is they probably weren't going to as he was a high pick and not signed yet. Good move by him and maybe the Panthers for both to move on IMO.

I have no idea why you come here to post negative things on Florida when you have zero sources.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Lot of negative talk on here about Mascherin. he was happy to be drafted by Florida. He had shoulder issues when he was drafted and finally had surgery to repair it. He has arguably the fastest release in the OHL and his shot is so heavy he blows it past unsuspecting goaltenders. The issue is not that he wants to go to another team. It's the fact that Florida totally ignored him when he went through his surgery. Florida could have easily signed him but never did and this could be has last kick at the can in junior. Other draftees in junior are looked after by the team drafting them. Not Florida. Huge mistake. Hope he goes on and scores fifty goals a year with another squad. Florida snubbed him big time and it would be a lesson for their franchise to show more respect. GM should have more class.

That’s funny, I hope he goes to another club and becomes a -50.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Lot of negative talk on here about Mascherin. he was happy to be drafted by Florida. He had shoulder issues when he was drafted and finally had surgery to repair it. He has arguably the fastest release in the OHL and his shot is so heavy he blows it past unsuspecting goaltenders. The issue is not that he wants to go to another team. It's the fact that Florida totally ignored him when he went through his surgery. Florida could have easily signed him but never did and this could be has last kick at the can in junior. Other draftees in junior are looked after by the team drafting them. Not Florida. Huge mistake. Hope he goes on and scores fifty goals a year with another squad. Florida snubbed him big time and it would be a lesson for their franchise to show more respect. GM should have more class.

I've never heard any other of our prospects complain about the way the Panthers have treated them. So if this is actually true, which I doubt, at the very least we can say Macherin is acting entitled.

And btw it's absolutely bizarre to think a team would suddenly start ignoring it's own prospect, especially when they have gone out to select him in the first place and were as high on Macherin as the Panthers were. That makes no sense and would be terrible asset management.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
multiple-sources.gif

Reactions: Aksu

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have no idea why you come here to post negative things on Florida when you have zero sources.
BB88 most on here have no idea who Mascherin really is yet many had negative things to say about him.. They basically only know he was drafted by the Panthers. I watched him play 68 games this year alone. How many times did you see him play. I have nothing against the Panthers at all. If the Panthers thought he was a decent prospect they would have signed him. End of story.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
BB88 most on here have no idea who Mascherin really is yet many had negative things to say about him.. They basically only know he was drafted by the Panthers. I watched him play 68 games this year alone. How many times did you see him play. I have nothing against the Panthers at all. If the Panthers thought he was a decent prospect they would have signed him. End of story.
People are pissed off because he didn't sign with the team, you can't compare that view of him (now that the rumour came out, obviously there's a lot of overreacting going on here) to what the organization thinks of him.

Below is our most trusted source on this board, who gets better info than our beat writers.

I'm told they did everything they could, but he ultimately decided to not sign.
Does this sound like Florida didn't want to sign him?

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
First of all he had his shoulder surgery at the end of April 2017. The shoulder was injured a few months before the surgery and Adam and his coach elected to play hurt. He was basically ineffective after the injury and should have been pulled at the time and undergone the procedure in order to be ready for camp in the fall. Barkov also injured his shoulder a few months before being drafted and had the surgery immediately if my recollection is accurate. Barkov wasn't coddled after being drafted by the Cats as he was rehabbing across the Atlantic under the doctors in Finland and signed his ELC on July 15th (he got all the incentives available to a player drafted #2 overall).

Director of Player Personnel Bryan McCabe refuted Mascherin's claim that no one has spoken to him since May. What did Mascherin have to say in response?.......nothing. Why?........because his statement was BS. Then he has his "free dinner" and conversations with McCabe after the start of his final year with Kitchner where he says he speaks with McCabe regularly to discuss how he can improve his game for the pros.

IMO, it's all about the incentive packages or $$$ that he and his agent are looking for plus it wouldn't surprise me if the one team he wants the Cats to trade his rights to will be the Leafs. Why?..........because IMO the Leafs are his hometown team and his best friend (Jeremy Bracco) plays for the organization. Could the Leafs have had off the record conversations with Adam or his Agent?............who knows as it's impossible to prove tampering. In any case, the Leafs have a track record of poaching a previous Panther prospect in Hyman.

So to sum it up, it is Mascherin who is unethical for lying and having no class. :)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
First of all he had his shoulder surgery at the end of April 2017. The shoulder was injured a few months before the surgery and Adam and his coach elected to play hurt. He was basically ineffective after the injury and should have been pulled at the time and undergone the procedure in order to be ready for camp in the fall. Barkov also injured his shoulder a few months before being drafted and had the surgery immediately if my recollection is accurate. Barkov wasn't coddled after being drafted by the Cats as he was rehabbing across the Atlantic under the doctors in Finland and signed his ELC on July 15th (he got all the incentives available to a player drafted #2 overall).
As a NHL Bruin fan I hope they can pick him up from the Panthers at a reasonable price.
Director of Player Personnel Bryan McCabe refuted Mascherin's claim that no one has spoken to him since May. What did Mascherin have to say in response?.......nothing. Why?........because his statement was BS. Then he has his "free dinner" and conversations with McCabe after the start of his final year with Kitchner where he says he speaks with McCabe regularly to discuss how he can improve his game for the pros.

IMO, it's all about the incentive packages or $$$ that he and his agent are looking for plus it wouldn't surprise me if the one team he wants the Cats to trade his rights to will be the Leafs. Why?..........because IMO the Leafs are his hometown team and his best friend (Jeremy Bracco) plays for the organization. Could the Leafs have had off the record conversations with Adam or his Agent?............who knows as it's impossible to prove tampering. In any case, the Leafs have a track record of poaching a previous Panther prospect in Hyman.

So to sum it up, it is Mascherin who is unethical for lying and having no class. :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Your post was different, as well as SoypiFin explained. But of course you ignore it.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I don't agree with deriding Mascherin's character because he chose not sign with the Panthers.

He is exercising his right not to sign and re-enter the draft. It's a business decision.

Now we make a business decision when we trade his rights.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't agree with deriding Mascherin's character because he chose not sign with the Panthers.

He is exercising his right not to sign and re-enter the draft. It's a business decision.

Now we make a business decision when we trade his rights.
Agreed but wish he had told us earlier if he wasn't signing. It would have given us more time and flexibility while making a trade.

peterbiz09

Jun 24, 2012
Miami, FL
Ordinarily a prospect not signing would bother me but for some reason i'm okay with this.

He honestly probably wasn't going to be an impact player for us anyways... plenty of other forwards in the farm

cya dink

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

So you say more or less, even the Fans dont care about Adam Mascherin and know nothing of him and his Game. I would say for me as a European Fan, try to get Infos from prospects sometimes watch some Games if they get shown.
But we as you saying dont care and know nothing of him and how he was.

But for me is this Maschering thing already done, cause we are in the PO Race. I care much more about the current Situation, then on a Player who things must play big game befor his Career is started.

By the Way if he really wants to go to Toronto and there is only small indication of an Influence of the Franchise over 3rd Person. Believe me the Cloud and Reputation between both Franchises gets very dark. I hope he can live with the Pressure then. So lets hope for him and for Hockey he doesnt join the Leafs.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I wonder how it all went down. Mascherin might've have given them every sign that trading him before deadline would be a smart move. I thought he would've had an ELC even before his shoulder injury, but something made them wait. Then I thought FL just wanted to make certain he had recovered from it when not inviting him to camp. With Tippet now signed and back in Junior, it seemed Mascherin, and The Shot, would be the next signed. Still, something made them wait to sign him, or was it Mascherin now hesitating to sign? The kid drafted two rounds after Mascherin getting an ELC before him raised my eyebrows, as Ang had seemingly become the next prospect to pass Mascherin by. I wonder if that caused some resentment in Mascherin, unless he already had an offer he wouldn't sign. Have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but announcing this now instead of telling FL before the trade deadline one month ago is unprofessional and seems a little spiteful.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Guy like this will reenter the draft and some team will take the flyer on a kid in the 4th or 5th round. GMs rarely reward a kid like this unless he is a lock to step in the lineup someplace. Always happens like that. He will end up making less money because of it. And wont be able to choose his second team either. Doubt a team gives Dale an asset now, when they could draft him for free in 4 months.

Must have been personal. What a waste.

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Prob won’t say anything but I’ll keep you posted. Have had him on FB when he was drafted.

Attachments

• DCD193FA-CC7B-4A3A-B2AF-EBD812F199A0.png
    DCD193FA-CC7B-4A3A-B2AF-EBD812F199A0.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 44

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Guy like this will reenter the draft and some team will take the flyer on a kid in the 4th or 5th round. GMs rarely reward a kid like this unless he is a lock to step in the lineup someplace. Always happens like that. He will end up making less money because of it. And wont be able to choose his second team either. Doubt a team gives Dale an asset now, when they could draft him for free in 4 months.

Must have been personal. What a waste.
Don't forget we drafted Mascherin 8 slots from a #1 pick. If I'm right and this is an end around by the Leafs, then I hope the Cats hold out for a couple of high picks. The Leafs sent back McKegg and a 7th for Hyman (who is skating on the teams top line)......wonder who got the better of that deal? My guess is they will offer some garbage again to the Cats for Mascherin's rights. I would ask for no less than a 2nd and 3rd (Leafs have 2 of each in 18). If they don't cough it up, then do the best deal possible with another team on a contingency that he sign an elc with them. If not he goes back in the draft to some bottom feeder. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad