The leafs should _____ offseason thread

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tried new coaching, tried getting better supporting cast players, it’s time to shake up the core. Worst case scenario after a big trade is pretty much the status quo- first round fodder. A major jolt is needed

That's easier said than done. You trade Marner, you now lost an elite player and aren't going to get one back.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but can someone tell me what their record in this series was with Matthews in the lineup vs without?

Thanks

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
My team is in a great spot , you guys failed your rebuild , don't be mad at me be mad at your players who embarrass you every single year like clockwork. Don't hate the playa hate the game brother.

Also don't kid yourselves my garbage habs team not good enough to sniff the playoffs during a rebuild would still stomp your leafs in a bo7 , funniest part is you know it too :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Haha, so delusional.
They are definitely our favorite for a good laugh.
Everyone around the league has been laughing at the Habs for a very long time now.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Amazon's All or Nothing tells you all you need to know about what a loser Keefe is, and what an utterly useless president Shanny, the smartest man in hockey, is.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Funny how teams don't figure out other superstars like Mack, Makar, Drai, McDavid, but only the Leaf ones.
Are you serious??

Under Todd McLellan and Tippett, the Sharks, Jets, and Ducks figured out McDavid.

Because just like Keefe, TMac was a shitty dinosaur coach who doesn't adjust.
Tippett barely adjusted as well which is why Pionk was able to limit his effectiveness in the Jets sweep.
Jets finally stifle McDavid, plus more takeaways from North playoff opener

We played a rigid predictable system under Tippett/Tmac, and the Jets, Sharks, Ducks all adapted their gameplan around that knowing we would never adapt. They all limited McDavid's ability to carry the puck. Running 2-man interference, cutting off lanes, and basically funnelling him into traps before he even had the puck.

His first 3 appearances were very pedestrian, and you were all calling him a playoff choke artist.
1715097395935.png

Under Woodcroft, they dissected what was happening, and figured out ways around it like a puzzle. They let Mcdavid flank REALLY wide, dragging the forechecker out of position covering the Dman, and he would gain a f***load of speed at OUR blueline, and then get a crisp tape to tape pass for an automatic zone entry.

This is a set play that opens up an automatic uncontested zone entry now which was 50% of how to stop McDavid. (BTW MacKinnon copied that exact same setup too)

Opponents just give us the blue line now, and work on trying to stop him down low which is obviously a lot harder.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lowest goals per game in this year's playoffs (so far). Yikes. Not good for a team that's built around offense. Leafs need a big shakeup but I'm not sure how they'd accomplish it.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Haha, so delusional.

Everyone around the league has been laughing at the Habs for a very long time now.
As they should. But they should enjoy it while it lasts. Those times are coming to an end very soon. :nod::thumbu:

Leafs are at 50+ years and counting for the foreseeable future unless they make some major changes. Doubt they will.

So are you a Bruins or a Leafs fan? You seemed to take my comment personally. :laugh:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Give the core 4 another run with a new coach?
I hear some saying they’re getting outcoached (NHL channel hosts)
So a new voice maybe?
the top players have no drive, intensity or heart. Maybe a new coach helps but it has been 8years. But with all the turnover at that position maybe it does light a fire under them moving forward. Judging by the exit interviews though, the core was more concerned about defending each other rather than taking thr blame saying they had to be better. Mackinnon said that in the past and returned to win that cup. Mcdavid said it last season when they got bounced and their team looks hungry and has that drive. Where is that with the leafs? It’s not there.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
As they should. But they should enjoy it while it lasts. Those times are coming to an end very soon. :nod::thumbu:

Leafs are at 50+ years and counting for the foreseeable future unless they make some major changes. Doubt they will.

So are you a Bruins or a Leafs fan? You seemed to take my comment personally. :laugh:
Didn't take it personally at all, just never get sick of calling out delusional Habs fans. You guys are actually worse than Leaf fans and that's obviously saying a lot.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That’s a really poor example. The only similarities between Marner and Hyman is that they both played for the Leafs.
Hyman was a physical hard working player who had not yet broken out offensively at the time of the trade.
Marner is a skilled but soft player who has broken out and is paid accordingly.
Every Leaf player who is traded will not have a Hyman trajectory. In fact, Hyman’s career path is very unique and rare.
OK, let me reframe this then.

I'm partly dreading the Vegas Golden Knights getting Marner, and showing you what he's gonna do when he has a REAL coach in a playoff series.

You know the Knights aren't even remotely close to being as offensively gifted as the Leafs are right? You realise that Marschessault isn't some kind of physical or hardworking player either. And Marner is a way better player than Marchessault.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Great plan to have him go from "best coach in the league" to "not even worth an NHL job" within 2 years, after hitting the Toronto Maple Leafs iceberg.

See : Babcock, Quinn, Wilson, etc.

Babcocks issue was all the stuff that came out about him afterwards, and he still got another NHL job before he screwed that one up.

Pat Quinn went on to coach Canadas WJC team and the Oilers, aside from having health issues. he was also fairly successful in Toronto.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I find it weird now that alot of focus is on Presidents now and not GMs

I think because the position has evolved. years back GMs would often double as the President.

Now you have situations like in Colorado where they don't wanna lose a really good AGM, so they make him GM, give him some control and push the GM up a level.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Didn't take it personally at all, just never get sick of calling out delusional Habs fans. You guys are actually worse than Leaf fans and that's obviously saying a lot.
Okay. It's just amusing to see a "Bruins" fan feeling the need to defend the Leafs in a Habs/Leafs feud.
That's why I love these boards.

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

drede

Jul 13, 2023
If I was the leafs I'd offer rod 10m a year lol he would be perfect coach for this team

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
It's not crazy to think he could want to coach in the pressure-filled world of Toronto. Some people welcome challenges.

I know if I was Carolina, I would do my best to keep him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It doesn't matter what coach the Leafs bring in, the problem is the make-up of the team itself. Keefe did a great job at getting the Leafs suspect D players to actually clog up the lanes and shut down Boston. The offence was just non existent and they had plenty of opportunities to score.

I think Keefe is good still, he was very succesful with the Marlies, got Toronto to the playoffs every season without struggle. The team itself just doesn't score goals in the playoffs. If they were getting outmatched and outworked every post season I would say it was the coach but naw, this is all on the players and makeup of the team.

Reactions: Bone Density

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would require an offer he cant refuse. Eight digits + overpaying his entire staff to even consider it.

Reactions: ZJuice

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So let me get this straight... Rob Brind'Amour, who has lived in NC for 25 years... captained the team to it's only Stanley Cup, and is universally loved and respected by the fanbase, as well as the players and organization... is going to move to the most chaotic and dysfunctional hockey market which 99% of the time ends up killing a coach's career... also while uprooting (or leaving behind) his young family who is closely connected to UNC Asheville basketball coaching legend, Eddie Beiderbach (Rod's now father-in-law), who has been in NC since 1978.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It's not crazy to think he could want to coach in the pressure-filled world of Toronto. Some people welcome challenges.

I know if I was Carolina, I would do my best to keep him.
Find me another fan base where the entire media apparatus protects the team and the players with endless softball questions. Sure you'll have the odd journalist go off script every so often but overall its comprised of a large volume of shill reporters who are employed by the same owners of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad