Value of: A 1C to Ottawa before Expansion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
Ottawa is pretty set for the future down the middle at 2 and 3C. Norris will be an outstanding 2, and we have options for 3 and even 4C down the road with White, Teirny, Pinto etc all there. We lack a true 1C though. I'm wondering what teams out there are either looking to make a change for a good old change of direction or are looking to solve an expansion headache by looking to move a piece on for fear of losing it for nothing to Seattle. Ottawa has protection room, the assets and cap room to make a move like this but obviously it depends on which other teams are looking to move the right pieces.

I think Sens could even consider a 2A 2b scenario with a center for the right player. Examples, are calgary looking for a shake up and move Monahan? Does RNH return to the Oilers? Will Tampa make a move pre expansion to offload someone to recoup some assets and free cap space up? Who's available?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nobody is losing a 1c out of expansion fear. Real 1cs get protected. When Seattle took William Karlsson, he wasn't a 1c. They were fortunate a room to grow benefited him, but he's still not a 1c.

Sounds like you're looking for a real 1c. A better center than Norris. Can't see anybody making a trade because of the expansion.

Is your 2020 3rd overall playing wing for the future?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Didn’t you draft one last year?

Stützle is a winger.

I think OP is underrating the system in Ottawa bit. If Norris and Pinto are your one two it should be enough to get you into a wild card don't just look at what they produce offensively watch what they get rid off on the defensive side. Pinto should have Josh Norris year next season.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Do you have any contract - ok not Murray - you want to dump? Any contract at all? Because if you want Duchene and Borowiecki you can have them back for free. Or even for some dump/retention. Obviously Duchene is no 1C, but maybe you think you can rehabilitate him back into being some kind of 2B?

You would certainly be within your rights to ask for multiple 1st round picks in addition, but for us rebuilding and with no cap issues of our own, I don't think we have yet hit the qualifying threshold for truly NEEDING to dump Duchene that badly. But for sure you can have him for free if you want. Do you want?

Sigh, I didn't think so. :(

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tomas Hertl sounds like a guy who would fit your rebuild pretty well. Not quite as young as your core and no superstar, but he’s only 27 and he’s got a lot of playoff experience. I wouldn’t call him a clear-cut 1C at this point (though when he’s on his game he’s pretty unbeatable) but he’s definitely much better than Monahan and RNH, and very few centers who are younger and better than Hertl get traded.

Reactions: Gecklund

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Stützle is a winger.

I think OP is underrating the system in Ottawa bit. If Norris and Pinto are your one two it should be enough to get you into a wild card don't just look at what they produce offensively watch what they get rid off on the defensive side. Pinto should have Josh Norris year next season.
The plan is for Stu to move to center

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the #1 the OP is looking for is a bit of a unicorn. There aren't that many true #1 centers and I don't really see any of them being available.

Reactions: G Backup

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ottawa is pretty set for the future down the middle at 2 and 3C. Norris will be an outstanding 2, and we have options for 3 and even 4C down the road with White, Teirny, Pinto etc all there. We lack a true 1C though. I'm wondering what teams out there are either looking to make a change for a good old change of direction or are looking to solve an expansion headache by looking to move a piece on for fear of losing it for nothing to Seattle. Ottawa has protection room, the assets and cap room to make a move like this but obviously it depends on which other teams are looking to move the right pieces.

I think Sens could even consider a 2A 2b scenario with a center for the right player. Examples, are calgary looking for a shake up and move Monahan? Does RNH return to the Oilers? Will Tampa make a move pre expansion to offload someone to recoup some assets and free cap space up? Who's available?

The short answer from Edmonton is we don't know.

The long answer is: We *think* he resigns with the Oilers but Holland cannot overpay for retaining RNH's services. I believe Oiler fans are leery of paying him over $7 Million per season AAV. He is a really good 2C and top line winger. Very versatile. Very handy for Dave Tippett. RNH allows Draisaitl to play with McDavid when required, taking over center duties on the second line when necessary. He can play with either Draisaitl or McDavid on the wing and do well in either role.

However if RNH demands $7.5 million + and lots of term and a NMC and all the bells and whistles he won't be in Edmonton next year. I would warn any GM, Ottawa's included, to be wary of overpaying RNH. He can't drive a line like a true power forward can. He can't dominate a game. He is very responsible and okay in the face-off dot but isn't a league leader in any of those categories. He is an excellent complimentary player.

Reactions: voxel

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
OTT should go after RNH if they have the cap room.
Oilers won't be spending over 6M on him so he will test the market for sure.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Canucks probably can't match an offersheet for Pettersson in summer in the 4 1sts range.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Am I crazy for thinking Josh Norris could be a 1C?

Not at all. Fully capable of 30goals a season and responsible in defensive end and wins a 55%+ of his draws. Only question mark is how much more he can approve his play making ability.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Then why would the Sens want to give away assets for a 1C..

Don't think its a management priority tbh. Its always going to be fun for fans on a message board to make proposals for elite players and create discussion.

I have been watching the sport long enough now to know the 80+ point number one centres rarely win it all. Unless your Pittsburgh. More often you need the Toews, Bergeron, Kopitars and O'Riellys to get the job done. Not saying Norris would reach those guys but he definitely plays in the mold of them.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Doubt it happens, he has no centre like tendencies also took like 10 faceoffs all year its a missed development boat.
That was management's plans, and he actually does play like a center. He does need to improve defensively, but so would most 19 year olds in the NHL

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad