GDT: 9/28/24 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Nashville [Preseason Game 3]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Paul can play wing too, and we are talking about 3 games while eyssimont is out, Geekie would only get an extended look if he does well. Goncalves hasn't had a good enough camp to beat out some of the other guys imo and his numbers aren't that great, comparable to Sokolov who got waived last year. If he plays well in the regular season or there are injuries he might get called up then.
And Geekie has? I haven't seen much that says he's earned a roster spot yet either. Goncalves also is waiver eligible, and he's better suited for a bottom 6 role. Geekie can be 1st call up, especially if he tears it up in Syracuse. Maybe Tampa risks Goncalves to waivers, but if he's done well in camp and practices, two preseason games likely doesn't cost him a spot.

LordStanlersCup

Sep 6, 2024
And Geekie has? I haven't seen much that says he's earned a roster spot yet either. Goncalves also is waiver eligible, and he's better suited for a bottom 6 role. Geekie can be 1st call up, especially if he teats it up in Syracuse. Maybe Tampa risks Goncalves to waivers, but if he's done well in camp and practices, two preseason games likely doesn't cost him a spot.
Yes I think Geekie has been better in camp so far. I don't think Goncalves is more suited to the bottom 6 he is more of a playmaker and got most of his points on the PP but we can agree to disagree.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yes I think Geekie has been better in camp so far. I don't think Goncalves is more suited to the bottom 6 he is more of a playmaker and got most of his points on the PP but we can agree to disagree.
Geekie has scored one goal and has made mistakes as well. Most importantly, Tampa never skips development of prospects in Syracuse, and Geekie simply hasn't been so good that he gets to skip that. Goncalves has looked fine, and he has developed well with Syracuse. He should get an opportunity in Tampa to see if he can stick, and if he can't cut it, then like ABB, Merela and others, he can be waived. Brown likely gets more time anyway, and none of Sheary, Atkinson, Chaffee etc are getting demoted below any of these guys anyway, at least not initially.

Reactions: Renopucker

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's kind of wild how JJ went from surprisingly decent enough to keep us afloat early last season to... Whatever the f*** this is.. looks worse than Hugo. Then again I think he also super sucked last preseason unless I'm misremembering.

LordStanlersCup

Sep 6, 2024
Geekie has scored one goal and has made mistakes as well. Most importantly, Tampa never skips development of prospects in Syracuse, and Geekie simply hasn't been so good that he gets to skip that. Goncalves has looked fine, and he has developed well with Syracuse. He should get an opportunity in Tampa to see if he can stick, and if he can't cut it, then like ABB, Merela and others, he can be waived. Brown likely gets more time anyway, and none of Sheary, Atkinson, Chaffee etc are getting demoted below any of these guys anyway, at least not initially.
Tampa also hasn't had a prospect the caliber of Geekie in awhile, Sergachev made the team out of camp at 19, Point made the team out of camp when he was 20 but played 9 AHL games and 2 AHL playoff games when he was 18 but I doubt that was taken into consideration during the decision, Drouin would have made the team out of camp at 19 but got injured and then played 3 AHL games before getting called up.

It's kind of wild how JJ went from surprisingly decent enough to keep us afloat early last season to... Whatever the f*** this is.. looks worse than Hugo. Then again I think he also super sucked last preseason unless I'm misremembering.
no last preseason he went god mode and allowed like 1 goal in 3 games or something

Reactions: Hoek

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Seems to be a trend with out backups. McElhinney and Elliott were both decent for one year and then shit the bed the following season. Then again unlike Johansson, they were both old and a falling off a cliff was rather predictable.

Reactions: DaBolts and Hoek

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Seems to be a trend with out backups. McElhinney and Elliott were both decent for one year and then shit the bed the following season. Then again unlike Johansson, they were both old and a falling off a cliff was rather predictable.
Don't forget about the train wreck that was Peter Budaj

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
What we need is Vasy to lock the f*** in and be as good as we know he can be. If he can't do it, it doesn't matter who the backup is because we won't be getting anyone who makes a big enough difference anyway.

Reactions: DFC

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
What we need is Vasy to lock the f*** in and be as good as we know he can be. If he can't do it, it doesn't matter who the backup is because we won't be getting anyone who makes a big enough difference anyway.
True, no Vezina caliber - or very close to - Vasy and the Bolts go nowhere but they also go nowhere if they're just conceding a huge chunk of the 25+/- games that our backup will have to play.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa also hasn't had a prospect the caliber of Geekie in awhile, Sergachev made the team out of camp at 19, Point made the team out of camp when he was 20 but played 9 AHL games and 2 AHL playoff games when he was 18 but I doubt that was taken into consideration during the decision, Drouin would have made the team out of camp at 19 but got injured and then played 3 AHL games before getting called up.

no last preseason he went god mode and allowed like 1 goal in 3 games or something
And Geekie hasn't been as impressive as either really. Not to the point he should be a regular roster player at this point.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hopefully,, Tomkins gets some chances to see if perhaps he should be the backup instead of JJ. For now though, I'd guess opening night is something like:
Guentzel-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Atkinson
Sheary-Paul-Chaffee
Girgensons-Glendening-Brown
Brown and Goncalves each getting some playing time in the first couple of weeks.
Once Ace gets back, they'll have to risk oneof Goncalves or Brown to waivers, but that's unavoidable in any case. For defense, I could see them rolling with:
Hedman-Moser
McD-Cernak
Lilleberg-Raddysh
Perbix will also mix in, but I don't think they want Lilleberg sent to Syracuse or being the #7 in Tampa and not getting much playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad