OT: 60th Obsequious Banter Thread: Some Guy Named Nate Raduns

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A sadly, strangely underrated great show. Those first few seasons especially are up there with the best we have seen, easily. It wasn't local for me, but I love that time period to death - an endlessly rich source of material. Jack Huston's character, Richard Harrow, was just awesome. But then pretty much all of them were.

That guy used to make me laugh. I liked the show but it tailed off at the end I thought. But it happens with most shows.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
That's another one that takes off, and once it does, it never lets go. The best fantasy series since Tolkien - with the possible exception of "A Song of Ice and Fire," although since his fat ass would rather peddle pewter figurines than write, it will never get finished - was called "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" by Tad Williams, and it is the perfect example of this. It take 65-70 pages and then it is relentless the rest of the way. I even put that down once, but thank God I went back to it.
Another great fantasy series is the Kingkiller Chronicles. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are the first two parts of the trilogy already released, but the author Patrick Rothfuss is doing his best GRRM impression and taking 6+ years to write the final book The Doors of Stone. The main character can be a bit of a "nice guy" sometimes but Rothfuss' prose is unmatched. He is actually a bit like you sometimes Captain, what he says is beautiful and seems incredibly profound, but when you look a little closer you realize just how absurd it really is. Great series though.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Another great fantasy series is the Kingkiller Chronicles. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are the first two parts of the trilogy already released, but the author Patrick Rothfuss is doing his best GRRM impression and taking 6+ years to write the final book The Doors of Stone. The main character can be a bit of a "nice guy" sometimes but Rothfuss' prose is unmatched. He is actually a bit like you sometimes Captain, what he says is beautiful and seems incredibly profound, but when you look a little closer you realize just how absurd it really is. Great series though.

I think that one is vastly overrated, actually. I finished the second one last year because I thought the third was on the way - I had been waiting to start it until all three were out, but I got some bad intel. I thought it was fine and everything, but definitely not worth all the attention it has gotten, at least according to my tastes, which as you know are impeccable.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well OZ is a prison show. Alot of the people in The wire are on OZ. As said it's uncensored

I never got into Oz because the subject matter just didn't interest me at all - that hasn't always stopped me from watching something, far from it, but I just never had any desire to watch much of it. The Wire was great, but Deadwood was better. I'd argue that Deadwood is possibly the greatest TV show of all time - better even than the Sopranos. I'm not hardcore on what number it is and I completely understand arguments for a couple of others, but it's right at or near the top of them all. Ever.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I never got into Oz because the subject matter just didn't interest me at all - that hasn't always stopped me from watching something, far from it, but I just never had any desire to watch much of it. The Wire was great, but Deadwood was better. I'd argue that Deadwood is possibly the greatest TV show of all time - better even than the Sopranos. I'm not hardcore on what number it is and I completely understand arguments for a couple of others, but it's right at or near the top of them all. Ever.

You're excitable and I understand that. I will forgive you this trespass.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Not a trespass, paisan, nor a transgression against your people, just the truth. And like I said, I understand ranking the Sopranos ahead of it. It's wrong, but I understand it. :naughty:

It's very much a 1 and 1A situation.

Deadwood was great. Really was. But it's hard for me to put it in that kind of air when it had less than half of the run of something like The Sopranos. It didn't have the real downturn at the end that brings down your overall score. So undeniably great, but not greatest.

Also, it wasn't even my favorite quasi-Western this century -- Justified is really just ridiculously good. Maybe the best thing on broadcast/basic cable in my lifetime.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
I badly want to like Game of Thrones, but I just couldn't get into it after the first episode. It seems I have a bad habit with this :laugh: Although I wasn't a fan of Breaking Bad's first season at all, and it's probably my favorite show of all time.

You know what show I really can't stand? Big bang theory. Just, ugh.
Seriously...f*** the Big Bang theory

Reactions: Amorgus

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Parks and Rec wanted to be The Office so badly, and in my opinion, it doesn't even come close.

Well The Office wanted to be The Office so badly too, but was still good in it's own way.

I can't believe people think Parks and Rec isn't funny. Andy Dwyer and Ron Swanson are all time sitcom characters.

JEpHDGQ.gif

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Deadwood is one of my all time favorite shows.
I gave up on the wire two episodes in. I can't even remember why I gave up.
The Big Bang theory is one of the worst shows in television history. "Hi" laugh track. "Sheldon" laugh track. "How..." laugh track. "Are you doing" extended laugh track where someone is laughing so hard their heart stops.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
By the way, SOMEONE could have warned me that ****ing Keaton was in ****ing Spiderman :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Talking about Keaton as Vulture is what brought our whole Keaton discussion up a few days ago! Hooked on Phonics much?

And if you want to be allowed to hate Keaton, you have to allow me to hate Jerry Seinfeld. He's the worst part of his own damn show!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Deadwood is one of my all time favorite shows.
I gave up on the wire two episodes in. I can't even remember why I gave up.
The Big Bang theory is one of the worst shows in television history. "Hi" laugh track. "Sheldon" laugh track. "How..." laugh track. "Are you doing" extended laugh track where someone is laughing so hard their heart stops.
Most overrated show of all time.

Don't @ me

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Talking about Keaton as Vulture is what brought our whole Keaton discussion up a few days ago! Hooked on Phonics much?

And if you want to be allowed to hate Keaton, you have to allow me to hate Jerry Seinfeld. He's the worst part of his own damn show!

azo0V_s-200x150.gif

I can only tell you what does and does not suck - what you choose to do with that information is up to you.

Reactions: Amorgus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad