Post-Game Talk: #48 | Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 | Flyers 3 at Islanders 2 (OT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I believe the best 3v3 unit is Kopitar, Carter, Doughty. I don't follow Kings that much, but it seems like they never loose in OT.

Edit: Just had a look and in since last year LA has 21 wins and 4 losses in 3v3 overtime, mental.

Since 3v3 OT was introduced:

Flyers 1st unit regulars: 12 goals (23 OT periods)
Kings 1st unit regulars: 11 goals (25 OT periods)

But they have 11 other OT goals from outside those guys... Flyers have had 3 outside our top unit.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Couturier was more effective in this one, awful penalty aside.

Much more assertive offensively.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I could watch that 100 times and not get sick of it. What a beauty.

Just watched it again. Didn't notice the first time JJ says "It's in"! After he says G scored. Almost to reassure himself that their would be no bs on it like we have been dealing with so often this year.

They really did look so happy. Especially G. If G and mase can get going we are going to be fine.

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
I thought this was the most consistent effort I've seen from this team in awhile. They worked had the entire game.

Excellent games by Provorov, TK, Lyubomiv, Voracek and Cousins

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Since 3v3 OT was introduced:

Flyers 1st unit regulars: 12 goals (23 OT periods)
Kings 1st unit regulars: 11 goals (25 OT periods)

But they have 11 other OT goals from outside those guys... Flyers have had 3 outside our top unit.

So you are saying we have worse depth than Kings?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So you are saying we have worse depth than Kings?

Last year at 3v3 we did for sure...

this year it is probably at least partially usage related. They don't have AMac, PEB and Read getting decent minutes at 3v3!

Kings most common 3v3 lines:

Kopitar, Carter & Doughty.
Pearson, Toffoli & Martinez.

They hardly even use a 3rd group... Muzzin and Gaborik and some other body are generally 3rd group, and play ~1 short shift if OT goes all the way... they break it down ~like this over 5 mins:

1st unit: ~2:40 minutes
2nd unit: ~1:50 minutes
3rd unit: ~0:30 minutes

The Flyers go:

1st unit: ~2:20 minutes
2nd unit: ~1:40 minutes
3rd unit: ~1:00 minutes
With sometimes a 4th group taking time off the top 2 as well!

Last edited:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
They didn't move Couturier back to "3C," though you can put whatever arbitrary labels you want on it. He still was neck and neck with Giroux for top line minutes. Even Schenn only got 1 minute less. All 3 have been getting pretty equal minutes lately in what has become a top 9. Read was with Giroux before, so all Hakstol did was switch him and Voracek. Couturier is no more "3C" now than Giroux was with Raffl and Read. And Cousins is more skilled than either.

I personally still like the dynamic of having an excellent 2-way player like Read with Schenn, who is a mess defensively. And then Simmer or Konecny with Couturier, who is good defensively. I think that's more balanced over the long haul, but tonight's game I can't gripe about.

I don't see TK-Schenn-Simmer getting split up any time soon. They are the only line creating consistent offensive and have chemistry. And that line is a legit 2nd line no doubt. All are true top 6 forwards, and Schenn has looked more and more comfortable every game. He can improve defensively that's for sure, but a wouldnt say he is a mess.

As for Couts, this team is a lot deeper when he is put to his strength as a shutdown center. Putting him with Read again is the right move. those two have been in sync for years. Might as well have them shutting down number one lines again so that 4th line doesn't have too attempt too. We need to play to everyone's strengths if we want to make playoffs.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
At this point, you know watching these pre/post games are going to **** you off. Why watch?

Jackson, Clement, etc are team employees. It's like expecting Dave Spadaro to criticize an Eagles coach.

I can only speak for myself: I don't watch.

I like the broadcast team, but I also realize they're taking the dollar, so they're compromised. They do it during the broadcast as well -- sometimes acting as apologists for a bad play. Bundy has been up to it more than usual and I like Bundy too. Not sticking around post-game listen to stuff I already know.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't see TK-Schenn-Simmer getting split up any time soon. They are the only line creating consistent offensive and have chemistry. And that line is a legit 2nd line no doubt. All are true top 6 forwards, and Schenn has looked more and more comfortable every game. He can improve defensively that's for sure, but a wouldnt say he is a mess.

As for Couts, this team is a lot deeper when he is put to his strength as a shutdown center. Putting him with Read again is the right move. those two have been in sync for years. Might as well have them shutting down number one lines again so that 4th line doesn't have too attempt too. We need to play to everyone's strengths if we want to make playoffs.

I said I couldn't gripe with last night's effort, and the Schenn line did well and scored 2 goals. But they scored 4 goals as a line in close to 200 minutes before that. They're routinely out shot attempted, out chanced as well, and due to being so poor defensively as a line (even with sheltering), they actually don't even put up that many shots and chances of their own, and are typically at the bottom of the team most nights in that regard. It's not even high event hockey. So this "consistent" offense thing is just not true. Even during the win streak, when they were a line, they barely contributed.

I'm also not sure what that means when Couturier is "put to his strength as a shutdown center." As has been said umpteen times before.....his minutes do not change. His usage does not change. He's the shutdown center with Voracek as his wing; he's the shutdown center with Read as his wing. Nothing changes. They don't go from 25-14-93 to 25-14-24 and his minutes magically, with a bit of hocus pocus, become "shutdown" minutes, though I know it's easier for some to think of these things in simple, black and white terms.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I said I couldn't gripe with last night's effort, and the Schenn line did well and scored 2 goals. But they scored 4 goals as a line in close to 200 minutes before that. They're routinely out shot attempted, out chanced as well, and due to being so poor defensively as a line (even with sheltering), they actually don't even put up that many shots and chances of their own, and are typically at the bottom of the team most nights in that regard. It's not even high event hockey. So this "consistent" offense thing is just not true. Even during the win streak, when they were a line, they barely contributed.

I'm also not sure what that means when Couturier is "put to his strength as a shutdown center." As has been said umpteen times before.....his minutes do not change. His usage does not change. He's the shutdown center with Voracek as his wing; he's the shutdown center with Read as his wing. Nothing changes. They don't go from 25-14-93 to 25-14-24 and his minutes magically, with a bit of hocus pocus, become "shutdown" minutes, though I know it's easier for some to think of these things in simple, black and white terms.

You would think that Couts linemates would get more defensive starts and see harder opponents then when they play with Schenn. Their is like no teams we can go best vs best and do well. I would like to see Schenn and Gs line get majority of Ozone draws and Couts get all possible d draws. Plus after the PP (even when first unit ends the pp) we always play PEB line and always get destroyed. Couts line (if not just on ice) with Read after pp would be a nice touch.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we can add Berglund as a UFA, that gives us another guy who can play C...or LW. So at least it gives us options when injuries occur. Plus after adding Lindblom, our top 9 should be solid and by default, it pushes other guys down like Raffl and Read to spots where they are more suited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad