GDT: #48 | Pens @ Centaurs | Feb 10, 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want the Penguns to win this game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I have zero respect for Sully; I think he's a ruse and has a BFF in a position of very high power within the organization. He cut the legs off of JR and the organization eventually sided with him over JR.

It may take a while, as it usually does, but the majority of this board will become very disrespectful to Sully in the coming future..... bet on it.

You’re willing to bet that a fan base of a professional sports team will eventually sour on a coach? You like to live dangerously I see. If you want to up the ante, you could wager that tomorrow the sky will be blue.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This is neither here nor there but I've run into TK in the local Cranberry Twp rinks and I was never more sure that the NHL sometimes pumps up their player measures because he was listed as being about 5'11 and ain't no way man.

with skates and skate guards on maybe?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. This place is quite a bit different than the larger swath of Penguins fans.

Most fans were defending trumped up peewee coach Dan Bylsma til the bitter end. Because the spittle-encrusted takes of guys like Madden, Yohe and the like demanded that they do so.

Reactions: Pens x

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You’re willing to bet that a fan base of a professional sports team will eventually sour on a coach? You like to live dangerously I see. If you want to up the ante, you could wager that tomorrow the sky will be blue.

No........ I simply believe that said fan should already have tired of said coach, if they were truly paying attention to all of the warning signs.

But long winning streak cures a lot of ills, even if the team has been dominated in over large number of their games this year.

Every one has opinions, some are just better informed.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Maybe be a bit better at the AHL level first? While I'm sure he intrigues you I'm not so sure he's NHL material. Maybe, but most likely not. Being the best among the mediocre there isn't in and of itself saying much.

I'm not proclaiming he'd be anything special. But I'm looking at Simon, playing 6 minutes a night at a sub NHL level. So yes I'm all for giving a prospect a game to create some urgency. Nothing worse than complacency especially when they're terrible.

Reactions: Andy99

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
centaur-series-autumn-walk-nikki-smith.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not proclaiming he'd be anything special. But I'm looking at Simon, playing 6 minutes a night at a sub NHL level. So yes I'm all for giving a prospect a game to create some urgency. Nothing worse than complacency especially when they're terrible.

To me it's just astounding that guys like Simon and Boyle aren't regularly rotated out depending on matchups and need. Not to mention saving some legs on a guy like Boyle. Has Simon even been scratched? He's sitting at 41 games which is just... why. I would say ZAR should find some bench here and there too but that's just utterly unreasonable to even think of on this team for some reason.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
No........ I simply believe that said fan should already have tired of said coach, if they were truly paying attention to all of the warning signs.

But long winning streak cures a lot of ills, even if the team has been dominated in over large number of their games this year.

dominated yet thru all the injuries we stand in a great position with the 5th....yes 5th most GF in the NHL and 6 in GA...........tough crowd brotha

Reactions: RSPens

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

The irony is that many people who think like this also declared the team DOA in August. Instead of saying, "hey - we are doing better than I expected, this is pretty swell!" It's: "This team does not win every game therefore the coach/GM/player I don't like needs to go! You'll see, they'll blow it in the playoffs. I'm a real fan because I'm not happy and impossible to satisfy!"

Some people cannot be pleased, and blaming the coach is the easiest thing to do.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
To me it's just astounding that guys like Simon and Boyle aren't regularly rotated out depending on matchups and need. Not to mention saving some legs on a guy like Boyle. Has Simon even been scratched? He's sitting at 41 games which is just... why. I would say ZAR should find some bench here and there too but that's just utterly unreasonable to even think of on this team for some reason.

Like I have no delusion that one of our prospects, like Puustinen, are gonna be amazing. But I don't agree giving a guy on a 2 way contract (Simon) this much comfort when his performance isn't NHL level.

There's literally no downside to rotating him out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like I have no delusion that one of our prospects, like Puustinen, are gonna be amazing. But I don't agree giving a guy on a 2 way contract (Simon) this much comfort when his performance isn't NHL level.

There's literally no downside to rotating him out.

Obviously people are just going to say "lol why get so worked up over 4th liners Sullivan Jack Adams blah blah" but it's just lazy roster management and if a coach isn't actively managing his roster then WTF are they paying him like 5M a year for? Penciling in the same lineups all regular season unless you are absolutely forced not to due to injury/illness is cruise control stuff and doesn't help answer any questions or potentially find a "new" Rust or something similar. I don't think they have the greatest prospect pool either but people said very close to the same stuff right before Sullivan took over.

It's a small thing on the surface but it's indicative of potentially bigger problems and/or malaise, IMO.

Reactions: Pens x

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
thats just not Sully's MO. i put that one to bed, don't even worry about that anymore. No idea whether resting players would do them any good or bad...but these are kind of times you should check whats under the hood, who knows what can click...reminds me of similar thing with janko last year, kept playing him stubbornly throughout the regular season, only to bench him for the playoffs...would it hurt give someone else a few games during the season?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
thats just not Sully's MO. i put that one to bed, don't even worry about that anymore. No idea whether resting players would do them any good or bad...but these are kind of times you should check whats under the hood, who knows what can click...reminds me of similar thing with janko last year, kept playing him stubbornly throughout the regular season, only to bench him for the playoffs...would it hurt give someone else a few games during the season?

The RS should not be treated like a playoff grind unless you are consistently at/below the bubble all year and MUST continuously make a push. This hasn't been the case in years. This team has no real problems in the RS. Just like they didn't under Dan Bylsma.

You are correct, of course. The RS should be at least partially about finding out what you have to work with well beyond the "regulars." It could potentially be used to great effect when the games really matter. In my opinion that's at least a part of the reason they have been a giant wet fart in the playoffs for years, now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The irony is that many people who think like this also declared the team DOA in August. Instead of saying, "hey - we are doing better than I expected, this is pretty swell!" It's: "This team does not win every game therefore the coach/GM/player I don't like needs to go! You'll see, they'll blow it in the playoffs. I'm a real fan because I'm not happy and impossible to satisfy!"

Some people cannot be pleased, and blaming the coach is the easiest thing to do.

I'm plenty o happy. I have an opinion that they would have bettered their chances this year if they had tweaked their roster (and drop their coach), something that I wanted this past offseason.

They can still be a good watch, I'm not in the GDT's complaining at all. I don't like Sully; I feel NHL HC's wear out their welcome usually in under 4 years. The only thing I'm really confused about are the people who think Sully is the hill to die upon, especially after the way the Pens last 3 season have ended.

Example; for about the last 2-3 years I would ask for a Sam Bennett trade; I also didn't get the desire for Zucker.

Zuck was exactly the type SULLY wanted......... Bennett was exactly the type this team needed. For what they paid for Zuck, they could have paid less and filled a huge void on their roster. I blame this on the Sullization of the organization.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Obviously people are just going to say "lol why get so worked up over 4th liners Sullivan Jack Adams blah blah" but it's just lazy roster management and if a coach isn't actively managing his roster then WTF are they paying him like 5M a year for? Penciling in the same lineups all regular season unless you are absolutely forced not to due to injury/illness is cruise control stuff and doesn't help answer any questions or potentially find a "new" Rust or something similar. I don't think they have the greatest prospect pool either but people said very close to the same stuff right before Sullivan took over.

It's a small thing on the surface but it's indicative of potentially bigger problems and/or malaise, IMO.

Right. I'm thrilled of our positioning. But it's largely due to Jarry playing insane.

Sticking status quo when there's glaring issues makes zero sense to me. Like you said he's paid big money to figure out what will work for the playoffs and trial different lines/players.

I can promise everyone Simon is not the answer come playoff time. Boyle as a 5C is totally fine but he has his limits. ZAR...I can't with him. He's better than those 2 but not enough to be considered necessary if we ever get healthy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'm plenty o happy. I have an opinion that they would have bettered their chances this year if they had tweaked their roster (and drop their coach), something that I wanted this past offseason.

They can still be a good watch, I'm not in the GDT's complaining at all. I don't like Sully; I feel NHL HC's wear out their welcome usually in under 4 years. The only thing I'm really confused about are the people who think Sully is the hill to die upon, especially after the way the Pens last 3 season have ended.

Example; for about the last 2-3 years I would ask for a Sam Bennett trade; I also didn't get the desire for Zucker.

Zuck was exactly the type SULLY wanted......... Bennett was exactly the type this team needed. For what they paid for Zuck, they could have paid less and filled a huge void on their roster. I blame this on the Sullization of the organization.

I don't think most are willing to die on the hill the Sullivan should never be fired. I was leaning towards the side that team needs a new voice going into the season but you cannot argue with the results. 31 teams are not going to win the Cup this year, not winning alone is not reason enough to fire him but if they get outclassed again then it will be time to really think if it is time for him to go.

I also do not know why you think it was Sullivan who was pushing for Zucker. Most accounts are the opposite, that JR got tunnel vision with him and had to find a way to land him after Phil nixed his first opportunity. I'd argue that the way Sullivan has used him shows that he really isn't too high on him. He gets no PP time and was banished from Sid's line after a week of looking great there. Bennett would be great to have, but I'm not sure he'd be putting up the numbers he has been in another situation other than on Florida. That team is stacked.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Kappy may be frustrating, but he certainly says the right things and owns his struggles. He's clearly lacking confidence right now.
“Nothing about this season has gone how I wanted it to go,” Kapanen said. “The frustration has started to kick in.”

“Last year, I played well,” Kapanen said. “I was good the years before that, too. This year? It’s been a struggle. The effort has been there, for sure. I haven’t been lazy at all. I’ve just been inconsistent and not doing the right things. It’s been tough. That’s hockey for you. It’s just totally been a struggle for me this year. I’m just trying to get some confidence in myself right now. It’s been tough. I’m trying to believe in my abilities.”
Enigmatic Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen on his frustrating season: 'I know I need to be better'

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think most are willing to die on the hill the Sullivan should never be fired. I was leaning towards the side that team needs a new voice going into the season but you cannot argue with the results. 31 teams are not going to win the Cup this year, not winning alone is not reason enough to fire him but if they get outclassed again then it will be time to really think if it is time for him to go.

I also do not know why you think it was Sullivan who was pushing for Zucker. Most accounts are the opposite, that JR got tunnel vision with him and had to find a way to land him after Phil nixed his first opportunity. I'd argue that the way Sullivan has used him shows that he really isn't too high on him. He gets no PP time and was banished from Sid's line after a week of looking great there. Bennett would be great to have, but I'm not sure he'd be putting up the numbers he has been in another situation other than on Florida. That team is stacked.

As critical as I CAN be of Sullivan I largely agree. And just want to reiterate that I completely believe him to be a very good coach and excellent hockey mind. But the league is pretty predictable when it comes to shelf lives and I don't think he's any exception. Very few are. And while you gotta give the guy his due in the RS (again just like Disco in his day) I guess none of us are focused on much aside from the prize. Which at this point has been lowered to simply "make it out of the flippin' first round FFS."

I guess the only thing I'd take some issue with is Zucker's usage. It IS strange. He gets bucked down the lineup consistently for lack of results... just like you're saying... but then Malkin comes back and... well...

Reactions: SomeDude

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
As critical as I CAN be of Sullivan I largely agree. And just want to reiterate that I completely believe him to be a very good coach and excellent hockey mind. But the league is pretty predictable when it comes to shelf lives and I don't think he's any exception. Very few are. And while you gotta give the guy his due in the RS (again just like Disco in his day) I guess none of us are focused on much aside from the prize. Which at this point has been lowered to simply "make it out of the flippin' first round FFS."

I guess the only thing I'd take some issue with is Zucker's usage. It IS strange. He gets bucked down the lineup consistently for lack of results... just like you're saying... but then Malkin comes back and... well...

I thought Zucker was going to flourish here because in Minny he scored most of his goals on the PP in front of the net like a discount Hornqvist. He has never had a chance to play that role on our PP here, no matter how many injuries of guys above him happen. The Geno/Zuck is obvious it doesn't work. At this point you have to think that Sid has made it known he doesn't want to play with Zucker like he did with Horny. They need to just trade the guy before he doesn't have any value.

If you go to every team page on here you will see every single fan base complain that their coach does not play enough young players. Seriously, go look. Every game that Zohorna isn't playing in the top 9 I die a little inside but that's how it goes. That's one of the biggest gripes I see on here about him. It doesn't matter who you replace him with, the majority of coaches are going to play a Brian Boyle over Drew O'Conner.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
February in Pittsburgh, that shit's gonna be gray AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad