Proposal: 4 team goalie roulette

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
EDM gets Varlamov
NYI get Vanecek
DAL gets Koskinen + EDM 2nd
WAS gets Holtby

assuming Islanders and Stars are out of the playoffs when closing on TDL!

Who says no? :) Dallas says no?!

Edit. Thought process;

Edmonton gets a starter qualified goalie with some term left for a 2nd, and gets rid of Koskinen.

After unsuccesful campaign Islanders move into Sorokin-era, gaining cap space and semi reliable back-up with cap control.

Dallas move the soon-to-be-ufa Holtby and some cash for 2nd. Koskinen as UFA dont weight much as they dont have to keep him. This is most tricky for me, as im not sure what Holtby can fetch on his own. Maybe Stars want more to take that money in (rougly third of 2,5 millions?, around 800k)?

Caps likes Fucale now as the back up option for future. Vanecek looks to be ending up being the third guy at this point, as he is suffering a bit of a cold scretch. However Fucale is not ready for playoffs games, and as Samsonov isnt a sure thing either, Caps might want to have a more reliable option for Sammy when it comes the time to lose for Penguins in first round. Is Holtby that? Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
EDM gets Varlamov
NYI get Vanecek
WAS gets Holtby

I don't think Koskinen and a 2nd gets Varlamov
Dallas makes out like bandits
Washington gets hosed
Unsure of the Islanders. I guess they get cap space which helps.

Reactions: bernmeister

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Edmonton is the only team to do this.

All of the others either have someone who can start, or too many goalies already, and there's no reason to add another.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why Vanacek is way better than Holtby at this stage if their careers

Might want to give this seasons numbers a look up. Stats are much worse for one of them, guess which one?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why does Washington lose Vanecek, pay to get him back, and then trade him for Holbty?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Why does Washington lose Vanecek, pay to get him back, and then trade him for Holbty?

Back then Caps needed cap space and a goalie. It was basically Dillon for Vanecek from Caps pov, which made sense at the time.

since then Vaneceks stock has gone a bit down and Fucales stock is rising, and Caps now have the cap room.

You move forward. No point looking back when the world is moving on. (Yeah, i get the irony for that since im trying to bring back dead corpse of Holtby!)

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
not entirely sure wash would do this. Vanecek is not a contender starting goalie. Caps are absolutely in win now mode. IMO vanecek is cheap and is an average goalie in this league at best. Is holtby better? maybe idk but he has won before. Samsonov is unreliable. Caps have a goalie issue but not sure if Holtby solves it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Back then Caps needed cap space and a goalie. It was basically Dillon for Vanecek from Caps pov, which made sense at the time.

since then Vaneceks stock has gone a bit down and Fucales stock is rising, and Caps now have the cap room.

You move forward. No point looking back when the world is moving on. (Yeah, i get the irony for that since im trying to bring back dead corpse of Holtby!)
But this isn't moving forward. Yes, it made sense for Washington then, it doesn't make sense for them now.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
EDM gets Varlamov
NYI get Vanecek
WAS gets Holtby

Edit. Thought process;

Edmonton gets a starter qualified goalie with some term left for a 2nd, and gets rid of Koskinen.

After unsuccesful campaign Islanders move into Sorokin-era, gaining cap space and semi reliable back-up with cap control.

Dallas move the soon-to-be-ufa Holtby and some cash for 2nd. Koskinen as UFA dont weight much as they dont have to keep him. This is most tricky for me, as im not sure what Holtby can fetch on his own. Maybe Stars want more to take that money in (rougly third of 2,5 millions?, around 800k)?

Caps likes Fucale now as the back up option for future. Vanecek looks to be ending up being the third guy at this point, as he is suffering a bit of a cold scretch. However Fucale is not ready for playoffs games, and as Samsonov isnt a sure thing either, Caps might want to have a more reliable option for Sammy when it comes the time to lose for Penguins in first round. Is Holtby that? Maybe, maybe not.
They all day NO lol...Edmonton is the only team that does this

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Why Vanacek is way better than Holtby at this stage if their careers

Not even close. VV is garbage right now and not even playing at a NHL Backup Goalie level! Holtby is regaining some of his top form and VV is getting exposed as his rebound control is atrocious. I'm not sure you been watching either goalie closely or at all?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Trading a 2nd round pick to get back VV was a big mistake. His 21 wins last season were only against 7 Metro teams. This season he isn't looking too good with only 6 wins in 15 decisions(6-4-5). The Caps overvalued VV and it's becoming very apparent he's not as good as he was last season. He looks lost against teams he didn't face last season.

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
I think it might be a mistake to say Vanecek is garbage I would say he has played decent
The caps blueliners have left all their goalies out to dry numerous times this season

I was a big Holtby guy, but he is not the answer the Caps need to upgrade in many areas
This team is loaded with talented players, but there is no way they will contend for the cup this season
I hope they do not waste any assets in an attempt to bring in a Vet goaltender

The Cap are an older team which struggles with fast teams
The Caps are at the top of the salary cap
It might be time for a re-tooling
trade some of their highly paid players to teams with GMs who are suffering from Playoff craze
maximum the value of some declining assets

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
not entirely sure wash would do this. Vanecek is not a contender starting goalie. Caps are absolutely in win now mode. IMO vanecek is cheap and is an average goalie in this league at best. Is holtby better? maybe idk but he has won before. Samsonov is unreliable. Caps have a goalie issue but not sure if Holtby solves it.
Samsonov is not exactly unreliable, the NHL Schedule Maker is unreliable.

The Caps play 3 in 4 nights and then don’t play again for like a month. How is anybody on the team supposed to develop any consistency?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I think it might be a mistake to say Vanecek is garbage I would say he has played decent
The caps blueliners have left all their goalies out to dry numerous times this season

I was a big Holtby guy, but he is not the answer the Caps need to upgrade in many areas
This team is loaded with talented players, but there is no way they will contend for the cup this season
I hope they do not waste any assets in an attempt to bring in a Vet goaltender

The Cap are an older team which struggles with fast teams
The Caps are at the top of the salary cap
It might be time for a re-tooling
trade some of their highly paid players to teams with GMs who are suffering from Playoff craze
maximum the value of some declining assets

while you may be right the GMBM is not going to punt a season where the caps are a few points out of 1st place with the playoffs around the corner. Trading any of Kuzy, Oshie, or any other big name would be indefensible in the media. If you are right they will bow out early again this year.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Samsonov is not exactly unreliable, the NHL Schedule Maker is unreliable.

The Caps play 3 in 4 nights and then don’t play again for like a month. How is anybody on the team supposed to develop any consistency?

can agree with that but Sammy always seems to have a lapse or brain fart each game. The talent is clearly there but the focus seems off which could stem from what you said.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The only team that would do this is Edmonton. The Islanders and Washington aren’t trading within division (unless it’s NYI-NJD), forget the rest of the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad