3x3 hockey is possible at the Olympics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel (SUI) is open to the idea of 3-on-3 possibly stepping up to the Olympic Winter Games. “It’s the first time we did this kind of tournament, and it’s been a big surprise,” said Fasel. “I am a rather old guy and maybe quite conservative.
“But we would like to have 3-on-3 at Gangwon 2024 [Youth Olympic Games], and when I speak with my people in the federation, there are some that are very enthusiastic about having it at senior level. We should not be against an evolution of our sport, like basketball has done. It is a lot of fun.”

“Fantastic” tournament sparks talk of 3-on-3 ice hockey in Olympic Winter Games - Olympic News

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Further evidence of what a fool Fasel has always been. This will never wash with the NHLPA because it could set the pro game down the path to cutting roster sizes, and there is no way that is going to happen. Further, why pervert the sport like this? Global football has never entertained the thought of playing a contest with only eight or nine players on the pitch; basketball has never countenanced the idea (at least as far as I know) of having championships decided by 3X3, or by free throws. Hockey is the only major sport of which I know where certain types are constantly trying to "grow" the game by completely altering or disfiguring it. Fasel is a European, so he may feel this benefits someone other than Canada.

It also shows you the contempt and disdain some hold for the traditional fan base of the sport. The other sports I mentioned above don't actively try to alienate their long-time fans in this way; it is a phenomenon peculiar to hockey.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Gross. 3 on 3 is an awesome way to decide regular season games, and I wish the NHL would move to a system with no loser point or shootout and 10 minute 3 on 3 OT, but it would be a terrible way of deciding meaningful games, and a disgraceful Olympic sport.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Eh I'd check it out for the novelty, just like I'd watch 3 on 3 basketball at the Olympics. There are plenty of convoluted games at the Olympics already so it isn't really breaking any ground there. This is of course assuming that they used national teams and not the coloured gimmicky nonsense described in that story and by the IIHF.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
As long as it does not replace traditional 5-5 hockey at the Olympics, go for it.
There are singles and pairs versions of figure skating, 2 and 4 man luge, and i have no idea how many different versions of downhill skiing and snowboarding.
Hockey is actually interesting so why cant it also have multiple events to show off?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
LOL

Half the posters here have no idea what they're talking about. If implemented, the 3x3 format will not replace the existing hockey tournament. It will be a new stand-alone event.

It appears Fasel wants to follow FIBA's lead. 3x3 basketball will debut at Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

I for one like it. Anything to encourage people to pick up a stick, put on some skates and get out on the ice is fantastic.
I'm sure the dinosaurs won't approve; but that's to be expected. Our sport tends to bring up the rear in the echelon of progressiveness.

Last edited:

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Gross. 3 on 3 is an awesome way to decide regular season games, and I wish the NHL would move to a system with no loser point or shootout and 10 minute 3 on 3 OT, but it would be a terrible way of deciding meaningful games, and a disgraceful Olympic sport.
Just checked on Wikipedia: there are 5 different types of figure skating, 4 types of luge events, and 10 different types of free style skiing.
Having 3vs3 as well as 5vs5 for hockey at the Olympics would still be pretty cool by Winter Olympic standards.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd say, 3x3 hockey takes different approach, than 5x5 one, there is almost no hitting there, it's way less physical, so some players, who failed in the NHL, can be more successful on 3x3, than a lot of NHLers.

If 3x3 becomes Olympic, a lot of respective leagues will appear. I don't think, it's going to be bad for hockey.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Further evidence of what a fool Fasel has always been. This will never wash with the NHLPA because it could set the pro game down the path to cutting roster sizes, and there is no way that is going to happen. Further, why pervert the sport like this? Global football has never entertained the thought of playing a contest with only eight or nine players on the pitch; basketball has never countenanced the idea (at least as far as I know) of having championships decided by 3X3, or by free throws. Hockey is the only major sport of which I know where certain types are constantly trying to "grow" the game by completely altering or disfiguring it. Fasel is a European, so he may feel this benefits someone other than Canada.

It also shows you the contempt and disdain some hold for the traditional fan base of the sport. The other sports I mentioned above don't actively try to alienate their long-time fans in this way; it is a phenomenon peculiar to hockey.

Is rugby not a major sport? Pretty sure it’s the third biggest in the world or at least close. Sevens has been great for the growth of rugby too.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
A few thoughts:

Nice clickbait headline. The "talk" of it hasn't even reached "speculative" status yet.

Anything that grows the game and gets more people (and more countries) involved is great. If the players are good enough, the could find themselves in a seriously high-level five on five league.

The fans seem to enjoy it as well, and 99% of the posts in the International forum seem to be fans whining about how nobody cares what they want.

Smokingwriter needs to put down the pipe. It doesn't matter what the NHLPA wants (see 2018 Olympics) and surprisingly, Dr. Fasel doesn't wake up every morning trying to find new ways to screw over poor old Canada.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
A few thoughts:

Nice clickbait headline. The "talk" of it hasn't even reached "speculative" status yet.

Anything that grows the game and gets more people (and more countries) involved is great. If the players are good enough, the could find themselves in a seriously high-level five on five league.

The fans seem to enjoy it as well, and 99% of the posts in the International forum seem to be fans whining about how nobody cares what they want.

Smokingwriter needs to put down the pipe. It doesn't matter what the NHLPA wants (see 2018 Olympics) and surprisingly, Dr. Fasel doesn't wake up every morning trying to find new ways to screw over poor old Canada.

Lol, how is it a clickbait, if it quotes the IIHF boss?

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
How much talk was there? Were there any meetings about it? Had the outgoing IIHF president held any meetings to discuss this with the federations? Or was it just the IIHF president answering a question and a 12 year old kid who said he wanted to play 3-on-3 in the Olympics?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad