GDT: #31 - 12/13/16 | blackhawks @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG 2, NBCSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
doc definitely refers to this team as the Rags when is out of the spotlight

Pierre probably has a lundqvist fathead above his bed right next to sidney crosby

eddie o probably visualizes every player on the ice as a particular horse in the racing world

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've never understood the meltdowns over announcers, period. Maybe I can't focus on multiple things, but I totally tune out the talking when I watch a game at home.

My problems with the announcers are:

1. As a Center Ice subscriber out of the NYC market, I pay to be able to watch the Ranger broadcasts. It's not only Sam & Joe, it's the in-between period conversations, the three stars, the little things MSG does, etc. When a game is moved where it's no longer available to me under the contract of which I purchased Center Ice, I feel as if I have been stolen from.

2. I don't appreciate the homerism directed AGAINST the Rangers when I am (if wanting to watch the game) forced to put up with the opposing broadcast. (Tonight's broadcast will not be Doc, Eddie, and Pierre. Most likely it will be the CSN-Chicago simulcast - just like the NHL Network did.) It's not like Pat Foley is a HORRIBLE announcer; he really isn't, it's just that he's the Blackhawks guy and he's calling the game from a Blackhawks perspective. That's not the way a National broadcast is supposed to be presented.

3. As mentioned by others, the replays of penalties and other plays. Show us what happened instead of innane conversation about the 6th at Aqueduct or someone's senior year at (insert college).

4. It's not so much during the play that really matters, it's the negative and/or silly commentary during the play stoppages and the screaming for an opponent's goal. For example, although it has been cleaned up immensely, I used to hate watching the Hurricanes broadcasts because half of them were about Tripp Tracy's texts with injured players and what they ate for dinner.

Hope that explains it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The MSG website and my guide says regular MSG. It says MSG 2 in another spot though. I'm recording both channels just in case

this says MSG:
https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-vs-blackhawks-121316-pregame-notes/c-284635014

but MSG Networks schedule shows Ranger Game being cut off on MSG at 830, for Knicks PreGame, with entire NYR Game on MSG2 and MSG+2
http://www.msgnetworks.com/schedule/

(FYI Comcast subscribers, at least in NJ, MSG2 is not available in HD, but MSG+2 is,
its ~841 or 842, a couple channels below 845 MSG+HD and 846 MDG-HD

all 4 MSG's are also at 707MSG, 708MSG+, 709MSG2, 710MSG+2

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I long for the days MSG Network didn't have rights to basically every sports team within 100 miles. This stuff gets so confusing, to say nothing of the incestuous pre- and post- game shows come playoff time.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I long for the days MSG Network didn't have rights to basically every sports team within 100 miles. This stuff gets so confusing, to say nothing of the incestuous pre- and post- game shows come playoff time.

I think we'll be alright competing locally for airtime come playoff time :sarcasm:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
2. I don't appreciate the homerism directed AGAINST the Rangers when I am (if wanting to watch the game) forced to put up with the opposing broadcast. (Tonight's broadcast will not be Doc, Eddie, and Pierre. Most likely it will be the CSN-Chicago simulcast - just like the NHL Network did.) It's not like Pat Foley is a HORRIBLE announcer; he really isn't, it's just that he's the Blackhawks guy and he's calling the game from a Blackhawks perspective. That's not the way a National broadcast is supposed to be presented.

Devils broadcast was humorous for Devil-sidedness
Daneyko so certain the early goal was NOT kicked.
calling out refs when not calling penalties against NYR
and postgame John McLean saying Raanta hadn't impressed him

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

When I was still living up there, MSG also had the Yankees.

I can remember nights when all three teams were playing, especially in '95 when the hockey regular season went into early May because of the lockout. That was before HD, and they actually had something called MSG 3.

Then again, they didn't have the Devils and Fishsticks.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

1. As a Center Ice subscriber out of the NYC market, I pay to be able to watch the Ranger broadcasts. It's not only Sam & Joe, it's the in-between period conversations, the three stars, the little things MSG does, etc. When a game is moved where it's no longer available to me under the contract of which I purchased Center Ice, I feel as if I have been stolen from.

3. As mentioned by others, the replays of penalties and other plays. Show us what happened instead of innane conversation about the 6th at Aqueduct or someone's senior year at (insert college).

4. It's not so much during the play that really matters, it's the negative and/or silly commentary during the play stoppages and the screaming for an opponent's goal. For example, although it has been cleaned up immensely, I used to hate watching the Hurricanes broadcasts because half of them were about Tripp Tracy's texts with injured players and what they ate for dinner.

Hope that explains it.

As a Center Ice subscriber you aren't paying for the Rangers broadcasts. You are paying to watch the Rangers, regardless of who is doing the broadcast. If you don't like what they have, pay for the subscription on NHL.com where every other game is blacked out but at least the few games you will be able to watch will be the home feed.

Center Ice does as good of a job as ever to try and get both feeds. As someone who has had Center Ice since 2005-2006, I can tell you that it has given me a new appreciation for the MSG crew. People ***** and moan over Sam some times fumbling a call. He is still one of the best in the business. After listening to every other set of broadcasters in the NHL, I can tell you we do have the best in the business. Our guys are the least biased.

As a former die hard Thrashers fan as well, I would watch their games quite often (even had season tix for a little while). The homerism in their broadcasts was unbearable and this is coming from someone who was a BIG Thrashers fan. Why do I say this? Well, I can at least be objective when I talk about how good Sam and Joe are since I could recognize that my other favorite teams broadcasters were not good.

It sucks to not have Sam and Joe every single game but Center Ice doesn't give you false hope and tell you that you can pick what feed you want or something. I can tell you, I just appreciate being able to watch the Rangers while living out of the state.

Do what I do, enjoy the misery that these homers suffer through when the Rangers come through and wax their team. Do you know the enjoyment I get when I hear Steigerwald and Errey get deflated when the Rangers score? Or that Devils guy Steve Cangelosi? Or when the Rangers would beat up on the Panthers, Denis Potvin always sounded like he wanted to cry. It was glorious.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Devils broadcast was humorous for Devil-sidedness
Daneyko so certain the early goal was NOT kicked.
calling out refs when not calling penalties against NYR
and postgame John McLean saying Raanta hadn't impressed him

I'm surprised Kenny the Ape can string three sentences together much less ever make a coherent argument for anything.

The Islanders aren't much better. Any professionalism that used to be displayed on that MSG production disappeared with Howie Rose. They still wheel Fischler out to do really dumb things between periods.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Puempel over Jensen when healthy again? Not that it really matters, I know.

Also, no goalie-controversy here. Hank just blows atm, his workload of the past years is showing. He'll get back into a groove. Only not for 60 games a season no more.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
As a Center Ice subscriber you aren't paying for the Rangers broadcasts. You are paying to watch the Rangers, regardless of who is doing the broadcast. If you don't like what they have, pay for the subscription on NHL.com where every other game is blacked out but at least the few games you will be able to watch will be the home feed.

Center Ice does as good of a job as ever to try and get both feeds. As someone who has had Center Ice since 2005-2006, I can tell you that it has given me a new appreciation for the MSG crew. People ***** and moan over Sam some times fumbling a call. He is still one of the best in the business. After listening to every other set of broadcasters in the NHL, I can tell you we do have the best in the business. Our guys are the least biased.

As a former die hard Thrashers fan as well, I would watch their games quite often (even had season tix for a little while). The homerism in their broadcasts was unbearable and this is coming from someone who was a BIG Thrashers fan. Why do I say this? Well, I can at least be objective when I talk about how good Sam and Joe are since I could recognize that my other favorite teams broadcasters were not good.

It sucks to not have Sam and Joe every single game but Center Ice doesn't give you false hope and tell you that you can pick what feed you want or something. I can tell you, I just appreciate being able to watch the Rangers while living out of the state.

Do what I do, enjoy the misery that these homers suffer through when the Rangers come through and wax their team. Do you know the enjoyment I get when I hear Steigerwald and Errey get deflated when the Rangers score? Or that Devils guy Steve Cangelosi? Or when the Rangers would beat up on the Panthers, Denis Potvin always sounded like he wanted to cry. It was glorious.

Actually, with DirecTV, you do have that option as long as the game isn't moved to NHL Network.

Edit -- A LOT of the expansion and small market teams are exceptionally bad homers. I think it's a decision to try to get the fanbase excited. However, I think it has the opposite effect. I mean, people who are hockey fans are going to watch a new team in an area that they may be living in, but they aren't necessarily going to become a fan immediately. If anything, a silly broadcast may turn off a fan of another team. I think Atlanta is the prime example of that. There's no reason Atlanta should have lost a hockey team with all the transplants in the area, BUT, when the games were marketed toward 8,000 Thrasher fans instead of the half million in the area who follow hockey, the Thrashers were destined to fail.

Last edited:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm surprised Kenny the Ape can string three sentences together much less ever make a coherent argument for anything.

The Islanders aren't much better. Any professionalism that used to be displayed on that MSG production disappeared with Howie Rose. They still wheel Fischler out to do really dumb things between periods.

Dano is definitely following in the path left for him by Chico.

Chico's ranting after the Canes scored on him as time expired in that playoff game is one of the most entertaining pieces of sports audio I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Puempel over Jensen when healthy again? Not that it really matters, I know.

Also, no goalie-controversy here. Hank just blows atm, his workload of the past years is showing. He'll get back into a groove. Only not for 60 games a season no more.

I would assume so, only because Jensen won't require waivers, and you don't want to risk losing Puempel for nothing, especially when they just claimed him.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m dating currently and a woman contact me earlier this evening - and she want to chat, but I said I was busy, hehe. I`m 40, but she is 42, I don`t mind the age difference though - she was cute :)
It`s Rangers match this evening - so I need to get updated on Rangers news and I was far behind - I just keeping to get up to date! `grin`
It will be an exciting game for sure this night, LGR!!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I`m dating currently and a woman contact me earlier this evening - and she want to chat, but I said I was busy, hehe. I`m 40, but she is 42, I don`t mind the age difference though - she was cute :)
It`s Rangers match this evening - so I need to get updated on Rangers news and I was far behind - I just keeping to get up to date! `grin`

Its only 2 years...I sure hope you wouldn't mind that difference :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Should have had her come over for dinner and to watch the game

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'm going with a 4-2 loss. Raanta gives up 3, including 1 bad one. Vesey and Hayes score for the Rangers

Last edited:

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Does anyone remember Pierre's crusade against composite sticks?
It was odd, considering his love for composite canes.

qMp4OFe.jpg

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don't know how we can handle this crisis.

We have a backup who is playing like an elite starter, who also has a low cap hit, and we have an elite franchise goaltender who needs a breather and to play a few less games to carry us far in the playoffs.

Oh the humanity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad