• Evan Bouchard

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Adam Fox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quinn Hughes

• Someone Else

• None, the days of 30 Goal defenseman are in the past.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Since the 93-94 season (30 years), Mike Green is the only defenseman with a 30 goal season when he scored 31 in only 68 games during the 08-09 season. Last season there were 4 defenseman that scored 20. Who is your pick for the defenseman most likely to surpass the 30 Goal mark in a season?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You really need a top top tier PP and some luck to pull it off. Only Bouchard has the right talent around him to pull it off right now but he barely got half way there last season.

Reactions: Regal

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
You really need a top top tier PP and some luck to pull it off. Only Bouchard has the right talent around him to pull it off right now but he barely got half way there last season.

Idk, Boucher has too many other shooting options on that PP. We're talking about goals, not points. I think ideally it has to be a shoot-first player (who also a has a good shot) on a top tier PP with some luck as well.

OP, I voted for Makar (28 goals in 77 GP a few years ago) but Dougie Hamilton (22 goals in 2022-23) should probably an option too

Reactions: GRob83

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Roman Josi or Cale Makar. I actually have Josi as the better option, as he is the clear No.1 D in Nashville. Colorado has Rantanen, MacKinnon, Lehkonen and maybe Nichuskin who all can score. Josi also generates more shots than Makar yearly.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Idk, Boucher has too many other shooting options on that PP. We're talking about goals, not points. I think ideally it has to be a shoot-first player (who also a has a good shot) on a top tier PP with some luck as well.

OP, I voted for Makar (28 goals in 77 GP a few years ago) but Dougie Hamilton (22 goals in 2022-23) should probably an option too

Doug Hamilton is a good one. I mean having multiple other options on the PP is the only way a point man is going to get enough quality looks. Green, for instance, was obviously very much not the primary options on the Washington PP where he did most of his damage.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Makar, Josi, Bouchard, Dahlin and Hamilton are probably the only ones who might be able to given talent and team situations. Karlsson probably would be an option if he was given the green light like in his 100 point year but had a better PP. I don’t think there’s any chance in Pittsburgh though. Makar getting 28 before probably makes him the most likely but there’s also an element of puck luck to something like this. I don’t think Mike Green was really doing anything different in his 31 goal year compared to his 19 the year after. The shots just went in more.

Reactions: GRob83

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Doug Hamilton is a good one. I mean having multiple other options on the PP is the only way a point man is going to get enough quality looks. Green, for instance, was obviously very much not the primary options on the Washington PP where he did most of his damage.

Yeah, great point. Somehow I forgot Ovechkin on that PP (?!). Thing about Washington's PP that's been so good is that they can beat you so many ways -- you have Ovechkin, you have a guy bouncing around net front, the D have license to shoot, and then a high IQ playmaking center on the half wall just looking and waiting for the right play. And if you stick a guy on Ovechkin then you have a sustained 4-3 against 4 guys who absolutely know what they're doing in that situation.

To your previous point, luck is definitely a factor, if I remember right Green scored 30 the same year he set the record for most consecutive goals by a D (just confirmed, at one point that season he scored 8 straight games, 10 goals during that time).

Anyway we'll see. My best guess is Makar, then Josi / Hamilton, then the rest of the field. Maybe Bouchard does it, if he does it would absolutely be something to watch

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The D most likely (Hughes, Makar, Josi) are also guys who play very good defensively. So it’s highly unlikely any of these top guys will sacrifice defensive positioning to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad