Proposal: 3 Way Trade (TOR-BUF-PHI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
To TOR

JVR (Retained at a combined 50%, $3.5m)
Mark Pysyk

To PHI
Justin Holl
$3.025 Million in Cap Space
Filip Kral

To BUF
Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)
B-Tier Prospect from the Leafs

So the in and out for each team would be

TOR in

JVR @ $3.5m/2 Years
Pysyk @ $900k/1 Year

TOR out

Nick Ritchie
Justin Holl
2022 2nd
Filip Kral
B-Tier Prospect

PHI in

Justin Holl
Filip Kral
$3.025m in Cap Space over 2 Years

PHI out

JVR (25% Retained - $1.75m)
2022 4th

BUF in

JVR (Previously retained by PHI)
Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)
B-Prospect from Leafs (Abramov, SDA…)

BUF out

Mark Pysyk

I hope this is fair. This is how I estimated the values for each player.

I assumed the Flyers are going to try and re-tool (according to their GM) so they will want to make some moves and bring in new players, which will be hard to do at their current cap hit. So for the cost of JVR and a 4th, we are able to save them $3.025m over 2 years just with getting rid of JVRs contract. If Holl isn’t a fit, that is another $2 million in cap space they can obtain in the off-season.

As for Buffalo, taking on Nick Ritchies full contract, plus an additional $1.75m in Cap Space over this year and next, along with UFA Mark Pysyk, I felt that was all worth the equivalent value of 2 2nd Round Picks and a 4th. While Ritchie may not be a great player, he will work as a warm body, and if sent down to the AHL only costs $1.375 against the cap.

How do you think I did with the values? I tried to be fair here but I’ve been wrong before.

My Leafs lineup after this would be

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Kase
JVR - Nylander - Mikheyev
Engvall - Kampf - Spezza
Simmonds
Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Pysyk
Muzzin - Liljegren
Biega/Dahlstrom

If you want to play a physical game, sit Spezza for Simmonds

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
EVen at that amount I dont think JVR is worth it. Doesnt score nearly enough to make up for his defensive issues.

Reactions: Marner4Life

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
JVR was great here but his foot speed was an issue 5 years ago can't imagine it's gotten any better.

If we're giving up assets to bring someone in I think there would be at least 5 options available that make much more sense.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
7 million is a steep cap but jvr has been just fine in Philly so there's no need to pay to dump him.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I guess the value isn't too far off for Buffalo. But in real life it doesn't meet their needs. They are not interested in taking Nick Ritchie's contract.

Also, the owner has been very much against spending dead money the last couple years. They have not done it yet. They retained on Eric Staal at last year's deadline, but retaining on a full year's salary to "buy" a draft pick is a different story.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I guess the value isn't too far off for Buffalo. But in real life it doesn't meet their needs. They are not interested in taking Nick Ritchie's contract.

Also, the owner has been very much against spending dead money the last couple years. They have not done it yet. They retained on Eric Staal at last year's deadline, but retaining on a full year's salary to "buy" a draft pick is a different story.
I get not wanting useless cap hits but Ritchie is making $2.5 million for only one more year. Those are exactly the types of contracts an owner should be looking at to fill out a roster and grab assets.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
To TOR

Mark Pysyk

To PHI
Justin Holl
Filip Kral

To BUF
Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)

TOR in

JVR @ $3.5m/2 Years
Pysyk @ $900k/1 Year

TOR out

Nick Ritchie
Justin Holl
2022 2nd
Filip Kral
B-Tier Prospect

PHI in

Justin Holl
Filip Kral

PHI out

2022 4th

BUF in

Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)

BUF out

Mark Pysyk

I assumed the Flyers are going to try and re-tool (according to their GM) so they will want to make some moves and bring in new players, which will be hard to do at their current cap hit. So for the cost of JVR and a 4th, we are able to save them $3.025m over 2 years just with getting rid of JVRs contract. If Holl isn’t a fit, that is another $2 million in cap space they can obtain in the off-season.

As for Buffalo, taking on Nick Ritchies full contract, plus an additional $1.75m in Cap Space over this year and next, along with UFA Mark Pysyk, I felt that was all worth the equivalent value of 2 2nd Round Picks and a 4th. While Ritchie may not be a great player, he will work as a warm body, and if sent down to the AHL only costs $1.375 against the cap.

How do you think I did with the values? I tried to be fair here but I’ve been wrong before.

Kerfoot - Tavares - Kase
Engvall - Kampf - Spezza
Simmonds
Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Pysyk
Muzzin - Liljegren
Biega/Dahlstrom

Buffalo will have zero interest in being included in this deal.

1.) they are taking on 6 million in actual real money and losing Pysyk, who has played well for them and should be able to return a solid asset if traded alone. A late second and a fourth are not good value for what they are giving up/taking on.

2.) Sabres have no space for Ritchie. When guys start coming back from IR soon, they are going to have to make some decisions, and having Ritchie on the roster takes a slot from the kids that are starting to play better and develop in this lost year. Losing a slot would be costly and paying Ritchie 3.3 million real dollars next year to play in the minors is not feasible for Buffalo.

3.) Sabres should absolutely be leveraging their extra cap and using their salary retention slots to facilitate deals, but they should be for guys with big cap hits and low dollars owed. Taking on Ritchie and retaining on JVR is the opposite. AND, they should be able to get a premium to do so. Those retention slots are gold if used correctly, wasting one for two years on this subpar deal is not a wise use of an asset.

Although I like the creativity used to try to make the deal work, but Buffalo would politely decline as it really does not work from the context of the organizations mode of operations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No interest and i dont want to see unidimentionnal jvr came back to toronto

And holl》》》》pysyk

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Find another home for Ritchie and Buffalo would probably be able to retain on JVR for just a 4th like Detroit did for Savard last year. Leave Pysyk and Ritchie out of it, it muddies things up too much.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Yeah I'll echo other Sabres fans thoughts on this, the value doesn't seem to be there for Buffalo. Ritchie is useless and has another year left on his deal in which he's making 3.3 million in real dollars. Now throw the retention for JVR on top for this year and next. Pysyk on his own should return something like a 3rd or a 4th at the deadline as a cheap depth RD. So it's essentially a late 2nd and a nothing prospect for Buffalo to eat all that salary. No thanks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I'll echo other Sabres fans thoughts on this, the value doesn't seem to be there for Buffalo. Ritchie is useless and has another year left on his deal in which he's making 3.3 million in real dollars. Now throw the retention for JVR on top for this year and next. Pysyk on his own should return something like a 3rd or a 4th at the deadline as a cheap depth RD. So it's essentially a late 2nd and a nothing prospect for Buffalo to eat all that salary. No thanks.

I'd missed that JVR's deal also goes through next year. That would push the return beyond what Detroit got on the Savard retention.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'd missed that JVR's deal also goes through next year. That would push the return beyond what Detroit got on the Savard retention.
True. And it's a full year's retention not prorated salary like a deadline deal is.

Last edited:

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Nah from Philly. If we are retaining 50% on JVR and paying a 4th, I'd expect more than meh pieces in return.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
All that for a late second is pretty silly from Buffalo’s perspective. No thanks and we like Pysyk just fine.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To TOR

Mark Pysyk

To PHI
Justin Holl
Filip Kral

To BUF
Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)

TOR in

JVR @ $3.5m/2 Years
Pysyk @ $900k/1 Year

TOR out

Nick Ritchie
Justin Holl
2022 2nd
Filip Kral
B-Tier Prospect

PHI in

Justin Holl
Filip Kral

PHI out

2022 4th

BUF in

Nick Ritchie
2022 2nd (TOR)
2022 4th (PHI)

BUF out

Mark Pysyk

Kerfoot - Tavares - Kase
Engvall - Kampf - Spezza
Simmonds
Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Pysyk
Muzzin - Liljegren
Biega/Dahlstrom

f*** no from buffalo.

youare asking them to take/ retain contracts for all next season. Thst isn’t happening

givrn buffalo goalie situation they don’t have contract space to take on more contracts with a plan to sign Power after ncaa ends.

Pysyk alone at deadline could get a 2nd at least given he’s a RD without taking/ retaining salary.

so a 4th + crap prospect is all it costs to take cap and retain next year…think again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad