3 vs 3 who has the biggest advantage?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which would do best against all the others in real 3 on 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bure was a better skater than McDavid in my opinion. Just adding"without question" to your opinion does not make it fact.

Actually, this is one of those cases where your opinion is wrong. McDavid is objectively a better skater in every single way than Bure. Maybe with modern skates it would be closer or in Bure's favour.

Reactions: Tony Stacks

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Doubt it.

Barzal is faster then him. Barzal not only beat him this year, he also beat McDavid's times in all previous contests.

All-time, Gartner in today's gear would murder both. Russ Courtnall had a clear edge in overall agility. Fedorov I think was a better overall skater too. Back skating, edge work, smooth stride, speed, plus physical side like strength and endurance.

Lol someone hasn't got a clue. McDavid is objectively faster in game than Barzal, or anyone else for that matter. Especially with the puck on his stick. He has been clocked at the highest speed in a game in this scenario.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How about some defenseman?

Hughes - Makar - Heiskanen

Might take that trio over any of the others because they can all skate backwards.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Assuming they're all healthy and in their prime: Forsberg-Lindros-Jagr. Lindros is better than anybody else list at all of their respective peaks. Jagr is just as good as any winger here-and yes I'm including Ovechkin. Jagr was much better at playing with the puck and possession than Ovechkin as well. For me I don't see any argument against this line.

PS: Faster skater doesn't necessarily mean better skater.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Doubt it.

Barzal is faster then him. Barzal not only beat him this year, he also beat McDavid's times in all previous contests.

All-time, Gartner in today's gear would murder both. Russ Courtnall had a clear edge in overall agility. Fedorov I think was a better overall skater too. Back skating, edge work, smooth stride, speed, plus physical side like strength and endurance.

McDavid beats players wide multiple times a game. Yeah Barzal beat him in the skills competition, but it’s not like he uses that speed to generate chances anywhere near the way McDavid does.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Datsyuk-Bergeron-Fedorov because they were just as good defensively as they were offensively. Bergeron still playing sorry. These guys are the cream of the crop level 2 way players.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Very good poll.

I chose Forsberg, Lindros, and Jagr.

I think their combination of passing and physical play would be difficult to defend against once they got the puck. I would have Jagr and Forsberg in a puck-control cycle down low, and Lindros overwhelming defenders in the slot.

My second choice was a tie between Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin and Bergeron/Datsyuk/Fedorov.

The first trio based on the offensive diversity and the second trio based on defensive dominance.

I am not sure how Matthews/McDavid/MacKinnon are leading by so much.

Very great offensive group. But offer no offensive advantage over other groups and aren't good defensively.

Reactions: Ben White

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am not sure how Matthews/McDavid/MacKinnon are leading by so much.

Very great offensive group. But offer no offensive advantage over other groups and aren't good defensively.
When it's 3v3 in overtime how many teams can worry about playing good defensively? Yes it's something they need to keep in mind, however a lot of times we see one team miss on a scoring chance and the other team gets the puck and goes down the other end to score the game winning goal.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
  1. Matthews-McDavid-MacKinnon - Two speed demons with Matthews choking probably giving up the puck, so nah.
  2. Ovechkin-Crosby-Malkin - I think this would win based on the all around capabilities of Crosby and Malkin, and they'll just feed one timers to Ovie till the puck is in.
  3. Forsberg-Lindros-Jagr - I don't see the speed needed, but I don't think they need it, they'll just hold on to the puck.
  4. Datsyuk-Bergeron-Fedorov - If you put Bure in here instead oF Bergeron, it might win IMO.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah I thought since we've had 3 on 3 in OT for a while now it was an interesting question. However, Fedorov is not a better overall skater than McDavid. He's the best NHL skater who ever lived without question.

I get the feeling you haven't watched Bure. There's a lot of question. Tons.

When a guy's 'thing' is to take the puck behind his own net and go end to end, he's a pretty good skater. The shear number of breakaways Bure would get because of his speed, was ridiculous. And this is the in days of no two-line passes. What Bure did with the puck at top speed made entire lines look silly.

Reactions: Ben White

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
When it's 3v3 in overtime how many teams can worry about playing good defensively? Yes it's something they need to keep in mind, however a lot of times we see one team miss on a scoring chance and the other team gets the puck and goes down the other end to score the game winning goal.
It’s not overtime tho, OP states ”it’s real 3vs 3 not a line in your team”, i think that means they’re not going to end the game after first goal in the game

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV, Crosby, Malkin. Not close either.

-3 of the 4 best players (Jagr)
-only trio in which each player has a ross, hart, lindsay and smythe
-only trio with a rocket winner (2/3)
-only trio in which each player has come top 10 in goals and assists in the same season (multiple times for each player)

Clearly the best offensive trio, by a country mile. Not sure if people's memory is fuzzy, but peak OV and Crosby were excellent skaters. OV brings goals, assists, speed, skill and physicality (200+ hits a season). Crosby brings goals, assists, speed, skill and 2 way play. Malkin brings goals, assists, skill and the most game breaking ability of anyone listed. Easy choice.

Reactions: sanscosm

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I get the feeling you haven't watched Bure. There's a lot of question. Tons.

When a guy's 'thing' is to take the puck behind his own net and go end to end, he's a pretty good skater. The shear number of breakaways Bure would get because of his speed, was ridiculous. And this is the in days of no two-line passes. What Bure did with the puck at top speed made entire lines look silly.

I watched Bure live growing up. McDavid is a better and faster skater, with and without the puck. I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

Reactions: Future GOAT

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It’s not overtime tho, OP states ”it’s real 3vs 3 not a line in your team”, i think that means they’re not going to end the game after first goal in the game

I fail to see how that would put Matthews at a disadvantage. He's the best even strength goal scorer in the world who is also above average defensively.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I fail to see how that would put Matthews at a disadvantage. He's the best even strength goal scorer in the world who is also above average defensively.
I fail to see where i mentioned Matthews, or where the person i quoted mentioned Matthews.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Haha weird result no?

Forsberg >> Matthews
Lindros ~ McDavid
Jagr >> MacKinnon

Peak Forsberg - Lindros - Jagr would probably compete for best possible line in NHL history (Gretz and Mario excluded)

Malkin - McDavid - Crosby would be much closer. Matthews and MacKinnon in the mix at this point? Lol

All of #21, #88 and #68 were very good skaters. However not the high end speed of McDavid and MacKinnon. Add the size advantage, physical advantage, shot advantage from Lindros and Jagr, passing n vision and playmaking advantage from Forsberg, general skill advantage and it’s not even close.

Just put Forsberg on the quarterback position also primarily handling the D responsibilities, while Lindros crunches everyone and Jagr skating circles and playing keep away with his great skill and unmatched reach and you get the picture. Mattthews doesn’t even belong in this comparison so how is this standing possible...

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Haha weird result no?

Forsberg >> Matthews
Lindros ~ McDavid
Jagr >> MacKinnon

Peak Forsberg - Lindros - Jagr would probably compete for best possible line in NHL history (Gretz and Mario excluded)

Malkin - McDavid - Crosby would be much closer. Matthews and MacKinnon in the mix at this point? Lol

All of #21, #88 and #68 were very good skaters. However not the high end speed of McDavid and MacKinnon. Add the size advantage, physical advantage, shot advantage from Lindros and Jagr, passing n vision and playmaking advantage from Forsberg, general skill advantage and it’s not even close.

Just put Forsberg on the quarterback position also primarily handling the D responsibilities, while Lindros crunches everyone and Jagr skating circles and playing keep away with his great skill and unmatched reach and you get the picture. Mattthews doesn’t even belong in this comparison so how is this standing possible...

Next compare shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad