3 vs 3 who has the biggest advantage?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which would do best against all the others in real 3 on 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Neither Datsyuk or Bergeron are very good skaters, which hurts in 3-on-3 regardless of how good they are positionally or defensively overall. Fedorov would have been a beast 3-on-3 though.

The Lindros group would be ridiculous with the puck, but a struggle to defend without it.

I'd take the first group because of that skating ability.

Reactions: SotasicA

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I gotta go with the Lindros line. Just way too physically dominant.

I was thinking them for a bit and maybe as an overall line 5 on 5, especially in the dead puck era, they would perhaps be the right choice. I question if their speed would be able to hold up against McDavid and MacKinnon though 3 on 3.

Reactions: jc17

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Neither Datsyuk or Bergeron are very good skaters, which hurts in 3-on-3 regardless of how good they are positionally or defensively overall. Fedorov would have been a beast 3-on-3 though.

The Lindros group would be ridiculous with the puck, but a struggle to defend without it.

I'd take the first group because of that skating ability.

True. Of course I believe you mean not very good skaters compared to McDavid and MacKinnon lol. Datsyuk was actually pretty fast at his peak.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
True. Of course I believe you mean not very good skaters compared to McDavid and MacKinnon lol. Datsyuk was actually pretty fast at his peak.
Yeah, I mean relatively speaking. So much more open ice 3-on-3, speed is easily the most influential trait a player can have 3-on-3.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since retired guys are also options, I'm assuming the Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin option is referring to their peak versions and not those guys in 2020, right?

Reactions: authentic

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They would always start with the puck though
Lindros was very good on faceoffs too. Even if you assume 60% draws though, other team would still be getting 40%. 3-on-3 is about holding off for the perfect opportunity, I think the Lindros group would be the best at that, but as soon as you miss, even if you're off on your shot by an inch, it's about transition the other way. That's where speed kills.

Reactions: authentic

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Well Fedorov is the best skater of the bunch, so I would maybe go there first. Fedorov also played D, and I think running 3-on-3 with no defenseman is usually not a preferred tactic. But then again Datsyuk would be there to slow them down. I voted for them anyway, and I hate the Red Wings.

But it's really not a game of hockey anymore at that point. The best hockey line there is actually the Lindros line. They'd beat everybody 5-on-5.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well Fedorov is the best skater of the bunch, so I would maybe go there first. Fedorov also played D, and I think running 3-on-3 with no defenseman is usually not a preferred tactic. But then again Datsyuk would be there to slow them down. I voted for them anyway, and I hate the Red Wings.

But it's really not a game of hockey anymore at that point. The best hockey line there is actually the Lindros line. They'd beat everybody 5-on-5.

Yeah I thought since we've had 3 on 3 in OT for a while now it was an interesting question. However, Fedorov is not a better overall skater than McDavid. He's the best NHL skater who ever lived without question.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He's the best NHL skater who ever lived without question.
Doubt it.

Barzal is faster then him. Barzal not only beat him this year, he also beat McDavid's times in all previous contests.

All-time, Gartner in today's gear would murder both. Russ Courtnall had a clear edge in overall agility. Fedorov I think was a better overall skater too. Back skating, edge work, smooth stride, speed, plus physical side like strength and endurance.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
3on3 you take McD and MacK
Regardless of who they're with.

Also think people are buying too much into the McDavid skating hype . He's great but best ever without question. No don't think so he's definitely near the top maybe even #1 overall but it's close to several including Federov

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Considering this is using peak versions, do people forget how good of skaters OV and Crosby were? They’re pretty much even with McD.

Considering the speed of OV and Crosby, the playmaking of both Malkin and Crosby, OVs shot and physicality. This is a wrap

I take those 3 considering they occupy most of the top peaks out of these lines:

OV/Jagr
Crosby
Malkin
McD
Lindros
Federov
Forsberg
Dats

MacK

Bergeron

Matthews

Matthews is waaaay out of his depth here

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Yeah I thought since we've had 3 on 3 in OT for a while now it was an interesting question. However, Fedorov is not a better overall skater than McDavid. He's the best NHL skater who ever lived without question.
Bure was a better skater than McDavid in my opinion. Just adding"without question" to your opinion does not make it fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad