Proposal: 2nd line centre to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
ottawa is in need of a 2nd line centre. Pageau is better in the 3c spot, and guys like Logan Brown and Colin White are still young and may not be ready for that role just yet.

Ottawa’s trade chips could include Pittsburgh’s first round pick in this year’s draft, Cody Ceci, Zack Smith, Bobby Ryan and Freddy Claesson.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ottawa is in need of a 2nd line centre. Pageau is better in the 3c spot, and guys like Logan Brown and Colin White are still young and may not be ready for that role just yet.

Ottawa’s trade chips could include Pittsburgh’s first round pick in this year’s draft, Cody Ceci, Zack Smith, Bobby Ryan and Freddy Claesson.
Might just be better to go after Stastny or Bozak as UFA's. I can't really see anything outside of the Pitt pick getting serious interest for a legitimate 2nd line center. Bobby Ryan's has negative value at this point, and the same is probably true for Zack Smith.

Just wondering, what would you define as a 2nd line center. Like guys from the 1B/2a tier like Kadri, ROR, Couture, Turris, Tyler Johnson, Duchene tier. Or you talking more along the lines of Backlund and Jordan Staal, who aren't great offensively but win their battles and tend to flip the ice but with less production than that 1B/2A grouping. Or just middle of the pack guys (45 to 60 type centers).

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
One name I was thinking of for Ottawa was Artem Anisimov.

Big skilled two-way 2C signed to a reasonable contract and will turn 30 years old in May. $4.55M for the next three years. Salaries of $5M, $4M, $3M for the next three years.

If Chicago is looking to make some changes to their core and move forward with Toews and Schmaltz as their top 2 centers, maybe Anisimov becomes expendable. There were rumors that Columbus was pursuing him at the trade deadline.

Maybe something around Ceci and Anisimov to give Chicago some young help on the blue line?

Reactions: DarthProbert

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’d imagine Anisimov is available. I did not think he has 3 more years left on his contract. I thought it was 2 but I looked it up and you are right. I’d personally welcome a trade for Ceci.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania

Kevin hayes

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
One name I was thinking of for Ottawa was Artem Anisimov.

Big skilled two-way 2C signed to a reasonable contract and will turn 30 years old in May. $4.55M for the next three years. Salaries of $5M, $4M, $3M for the next three years.

If Chicago is looking to make some changes to their core and move forward with Toews and Schmaltz as their top 2 centers, maybe Anisimov becomes expendable. There were rumors that Columbus was pursuing him at the trade deadline.

Maybe something around Ceci and Anisimov to give Chicago some young help on the blue line?
If you're interested in Anisimov, would you be interested in Victor Rask? He could be had for very little and just compare the two players. Also Anisimov was playing with a more talent than Rask.

15/16
Anisimov - 77 games, 18:05 TOI, 20 goals, 42 points, +8
Rask - 80 games, 16:58 TOI, 21 goals, 48 points, -6
16/17
Anisimov - 64 games, 17:50 TOI, 22 goals, 45 points, +9
Rask - 82 games, 17:17 TOI, 16 goals, 45 points, -10
17/18
Anisimov - 72 games, 16:47 TOI, 20 goals, 31 points, -17
Rask - 71 games, 15:23 TOI, 14 goals, 31 points, E

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Sens giving up a local kid for a Russian? Forget the rest of the issues in the offer, that alone is enough to make this a wildly unrealistic deal from a Senators perspective.

I also fail to see how 2nd line C is even something we should worry about right, given the glaring holes on D and in nets this team has. Between Duchene, Pageau, White, Brown, Chlapik and Smith (could flip back to C if needed) we have enough up the middle to weather the storm. I'd much rather this team use it's (limited) assets to shore up an actual hole in the roster.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sens giving up a local kid for a Russian? Forget the rest of the issues in the offer, that alone is enough to make this a wildly unrealistic deal from a Senators perspective.

I also fail to see how 2nd line C is even something we should worry about right, given the glaring holes on D and in nets this team has. Between Duchene, Pageau, White, Brown, Chlapik and Smith (could flip back to C if needed) we have enough up the middle to weather the storm. I'd much rather this team use it's (limited) assets to shore up an actual hole in the roster.

The 2c is a hole on the roster. I can understand not wanting to give up a lot to get one, but it’s still an area of concern.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The 2c is a hole on the roster. I can understand not wanting to give up a lot to get one, but it’s still an area of concern.

I disagree, but even if it was it's at the very most 3rd or 4th on the list of needs at this point. Save our assets to fix one of the positions that tanked us this year.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Anisimov + Duclair for Ceci

Sens depth on RD will be ultra thin, but I think Ottawa would accept. Dorion is a huge Ceci fanboy though.

I think Ottawa's plans are to go into training camp and see how Logan Brown looks. He's playing quite well right now (I think his team is still playing) and he started the year with the Sens (injury replacement for Brassard), so I don't think it's out of the question that he's pencilled into the 2C or 3C spot with JGP taking the other one.

Problem then becomes that Ottawa will have no 2nd pairing D...

Chabot - Karlsson (assuming not traded)
??? - ???
then a bunch of 3rd pairing/depth guys: Boro/Wolanin/Claesson/Harpur/Wideman?

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
How about Gustafsson and the Pittsburgh first for Zibanejad? This means NYR traded Brassard for Gustafsson, the first and an early second.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Who is our 2nd line centre then?

One of Brown, White or Chlapik in all likelihood. Whichever one wins the job out of camp. Pageau has also had success with Stone in the past, so he could step in if none of the young guys step up.

We need a top-four defenceman, a top-six winger and a (obviously) a solution in nets a heck of a lot more than 2C. Let's give the young guys a chance up the middle, It's not like we'd be handing a guy like Brown the job, he still has to fight off the other 2 rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad