Langley, BC
Eklund - Celebrini - Martone
Musty - Smith - Zetterlund
Chernyshov - Edstrom - Halttunen
Rimashevsky - Bystedt - Lund

Dickinson - Hensler
Mukamadulin - Havelid
Sahlin-Wallenius - Roberts

Eklund is the only player that was not acquired by Grier. This team could use a better top 4 RD but the potential of a homegrown core is real. The Sharks prospect pool is ridiculous.

You forgot about the captain, Luke Kunin.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know goalies are heresy for picking in the 1st round, but mild shout-out to Josh Ravensbergen who was outstanding as a 16 year old in the WHL

Also anyone watching Misskey play for Victoria next season will get a front row seat to check out Cole Reschney too.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Nah they are falling off a cliff this season, they will finish at best bottom 5.
Not only for the pick, but to see how they react if they suddenly fall off a cliff.
Wouldn't feel sorry for Hertl either, I can already hear the comments ''Why did we bring an ex-Shark here, he ruined everything''
But to be honest one of their biggest heart and soul players Marchessault (okay let's hear the booooos) not being there, could be a big factor to a downfall... if it happens.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Not only for the pick, but to see how they react if they suddenly fall off a cliff.
Wouldn't feel sorry for Hertl either, I can already hear the comments ''Why did we bring an ex-Shark here, he ruined everything''
But to be honest one of their biggest heart and soul players Marchessault (okay let's hear the booooos) not being there, could be a big factor to a downfall... if it happens.
They are also screwed without each of their next two 1st round picks. Both to teams in their own division.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
marchy always gave us absolute fits since day 1, even our stacked teams. him not being there is a big loss.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
So just doing a bit of sleuthing, Granlund and Giroux (who's mostly a wing) are by far the top two UFA centers who will be available at the deadline. I don't expect Crosby (UFA) or Malkin (1 year) will be available though if either were they'd be the top choice. I think Kadri's contract is too bad, but Calgary wants to move him out. He has multiple years, but I expect Zegras will also be on the block. Not sure how much he's seen as a playoff guy, and I'm not sure the Ducks won't want hockey trades. Gourde (Seattle), Dvorak (Montreal), Johansen (Philly), Bjugstad (Utah) may also be deadline bait.

Nashville could use a LH top 6 playmaking center (they have 3 RH goal scoring wingers) not much at center. Minnesota could use a center. Vegas, Toronto, and NYI may be interested in him as a winger.

If he performs like last year, I could see Granlund commanding a first (or good RHD/goalie prospect). Feed the guy PP minutes with Smith, Celebrini!

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
So just doing a bit of sleuthing, Granlund and Giroux (who's mostly a wing) are by far the top two UFA centers who will be available at the deadline. I don't expect Crosby (UFA) or Malkin (1 year) will be available though if either were they'd be the top choice. I think Kadri's contract is too bad, but Calgary wants to move him out. He has multiple years, but I expect Zegras will also be on the block. Not sure how much he's seen as a playoff guy, and I'm not sure the Ducks won't want hockey trades. Gourde (Seattle), Dvorak (Montreal), Johansen (Philly), Bjugstad (Utah) may also be deadline bait.

Nashville could use a LH top 6 playmaking center (they have 3 RH goal scoring wingers) not much at center. Minnesota could use a center. Vegas, Toronto, and NYI may be interested in him as a winger.

If he performs like last year, I could see Granlund commanding a first (or good RHD/goalie prospect). Feed the guy PP minutes with Smith, Celebrini!
Good call - I think a first is possible too if he repeats his performance

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If Granlund is having a good year, I'm guessing we might re-sign him. Our youth will still be overwhelmed against much of the league, our D corps will still suck absent a big trade or somehow convincing Trouba to move his family west after a waiver claim.

It's time to try to build this team up rather than trading for even more futures. That process will still take years. And we will still have high 1 and 2 round picks plus a second 1 this year. Trading Granlund would possibly only happen if both Smith and Celebrini look the part and we don't think we need Granlund on the wing in the coming transition years. If we're still selling big pieces at the deadline AND our prospects aren't ready to fill that gap, we're just staying flat at the bottom of the tear down, in my opinion.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
If Granlund is having a good year, I'm guessing we might re-sign him. Our youth will still be overwhelmed against much of the league, our D corps will still suck absent a big trade or somehow convincing Trouba to move his family west after a waiver claim.

It's time to try to build this team up rather than trading for even more futures. That process will still take years. And we will still have high 1 and 2 round picks plus a second 1 this year. Trading Granlund would possibly only happen if both Smith and Celebrini look the part and we don't think we need Granlund on the wing in the coming transition years. If we're still selling big pieces at the deadline AND our prospects aren't ready to fill that gap, we're just staying flat at the bottom of the tear down, in my opinion.
100% this.
We have the skeleton of the team with the young super potential kids, but need the meat around them (veterans) to have a working team.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I haven’t done much research at all. Does the next draft project to be similar to this past one with Hagens the clear cut top pick and then everyone else or is it a lot more balanced without a consensus #1 like Macklin was?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I haven’t done much research at all. Does the next draft project to be similar to this past one with Hagens the clear cut top pick and then everyone else or is it a lot more balanced without a consensus #1 like Macklin was?
Right now it looks like a pretty stacked top 6, so even though Hagens is consensus 1 going into this season someone could over take him. Misa is 6th on that dailyfaceoff list and he's been on the radar for a while as a probable 1st OV pick

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This draft is deep at the top and with Celebrini, we don’t necessarily need Hagens. Rather have McKenna in 2026. Either way, we will have good options in the top 5 with Martone, Hensler, Ryabkin, Schaefer, Misa and Frondell.

My fantasy is that we walk away with Porter Martone at 2nd or 3rd overall with our pick and a defenseman with Vegas’ pick, improve a lot, then win the McKenna lottery the following year even though we’re almost out of the top-10.

Hagens is the consensus #1 and he’s got an exceptional offensive game, but I don’t think this draft will be “#1 or bust” the way 2024 was. There’ll be a ton of potential #1C’s at the top in Frondell, Ryabkin, Misa, etc. that have the potential to overtake Hagens if they have strong years or at least make it interesting. Other than Schaefer, I don’t see many good defensemen near the top, but Hensler was better with the U18 than Buium was and then Buium took a huge step in college so I guess you never know what could happen.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
My fantasy is that we walk away with Porter Martone at 2nd or 3rd overall with our pick and a defenseman with Vegas’ pick, improve a lot, then win the McKenna lottery the following year even though we’re almost out of the top-10.

Hagens is the consensus #1 and he’s got an exceptional offensive game, but I don’t think this draft will be “#1 or bust” the way 2024 was. There’ll be a ton of potential #1C’s at the top in Frondell, Ryabkin, Misa, etc. that have the potential to overtake Hagens if they have strong years or at least make it interesting. Other than Schaefer, I don’t see many good defensemen near the top, but Hensler was better with the U18 than Buium was and then Buium took a huge step in college so I guess you never know what could happen.
All of this, and also, Silayev came out of nowhere in the fall to be a great pick at 10-20. So anything can happen. It does seem like a year where 1OA won't be as clear, unless Hagens just absolutely tears it up at BU. I'm with you on being most excited about Martone. Every team will be dreaming of adding McKenna.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
All of this, and also, Silayev came out of nowhere in the fall to be a great pick at 10-20. So anything can happen. It does seem like a year where 1OA won't be as clear, unless Hagens just absolutely tears it up at BU. I'm with you on being must excited about Martone. Every team will be dreaming of adding McKenna.
Yup, someone will come out of nowhere and end up top-5. Hopefully a defenseman.

Hagens is definitely gonna tear up the NCAA because he’s a somewhat better prospect than Smith, but he’s also 5’10” and not as explosive as Jack Hughes.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
McQueen being 6'5 center could explode too. Low key I think Smith is going to be better suited as a RW in the NHL and I think drafting another C for second line would make the most sense. Like taking Frondell and making a cute lil Swede line

Musty - Celebrini - Smith
Eklund - Frondell - Zetterlund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad