OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It’s undetermined if that’s the truth. Why would an agent agree to anything verbal? IF a legit offer was even made. Dude made no claims of not getting paid until he walked out.

Fishy….leads me to believe the assistant said something, wasn’t empowered to do so, and now it would be illegal to cave to his demands per Nevada law, and against NCAA rules.
I guess we should both wait and see what truth surfaces.

Reactions: Neil Racki

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Or he shouldn’t be expecting to get paid if he never had a legit offer lol….

As crooked as college football is, I’m sure someone will find his team first attitude desirable and “hire” homey next year lol…
Which is why, regardless of what the truth is here - the bottom line is that he’s working below market rate. And he’s made the decision he doesn’t want to anymore.

That’s all this really means in this crazy wild west period of NIL. He’ll red shirt, and make good money somewhere next year. It feels gross, but can’t blame him on some level.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Which is why, regardless of what the truth is here - the bottom line is that he’s working below market rate. And he’s made the decision he doesn’t want to anymore.

That’s all this really means in this crazy wild west period of NIL. He’ll red shirt, and make good money somewhere next year. It feels gross, but can’t blame him on some level.
Definitely feels scummy….

Here’s another pissed he’s not getting more snaps.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s all so fleeting for these kids. I get the entire “make money when I can” attitude. I 100% get that.

But, there is a career beyond college — for everyone. We all don’t rise and set in college. Do we? I sure didn’t.

So what is next for these people that spit into the wind at this time in their lives? Any lessons learned?

I fully doubt it.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If you hire a moron agent who takes supposed “verbal offers”, you deserve what you get. No official offer was made to the athlete. I’d hire a new agent.

I'd hire a new agent, but i'd propably walk out too.

It doesn't exactly build a great relationship with the school when you are offered 100k and end up with 3k.

What did the school do to the OC that offered him that 100k? He was fired, obviously, right? If he offered that kind of money without anyone else having any idea about it? If he didn't, i'd guess anyone can figure out what really happened here.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If you hire a moron agent who takes supposed “verbal offers”, you deserve what you get. No official offer was made to the athlete. I’d hire a new agent.
How do you know he knowingly hired a moron agent? Part of the issue with NIL is that grifters are going to do their best to take advantage of naive kids and families who think (rightfully so) that these people will have their child’s best interest in mind. There’s no governing body to regulate bad actors. And we know many coaches will do and say whatever they can to get a player to commit.

I don’t think we know the whole truth but I’m not ready to bludgeon the kid and his family. If he thought he was entered into an arrangement and that turned out to either not be true and reneged on I don’t blame him for leaving. Chances are he’s not an NFL level player if he’s at UNLV so college is when he’s going to monetize his athletic talents.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
It’s all so fleeting for these kids. I get the entire “make money when I can” attitude. I 100% get that.

But, there is a career beyond college — for everyone. We all don’t rise and set in college. Do we? I sure didn’t.

So what is next for these people that spit into the wind at this time in their lives? Any lessons learned?

I fully doubt it.
This isn't a traditional career though. Most college guys don't make it to the NFL. This is quite possibly the short window in their life where they have a highest earning potential.

If you're a AAAA college player (really good in college but probably UDFA in the NFL, if that), this is the point in your life with your highest earning potential. In most careers (not in football), your highest earning potential is in the mid to late part of your career, so it makes a lot more sense to 'pay your dues' so to speak.

And all of that is without acknowledging the injury risk. Remember Marcus Lattimore with his significant knee injury in his final college game? Under NIL, he would have banked some pretty decent cash before that injury.

It's a very very (VERY) flawed system, but I do not blame players for doing what it takes to maximize their earnings during what is a very short window for most of them.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
UNLV guy is going to do a 6th year of college ball?

43.8% completion % to start season

College ball is broke ... my interest has dropped each year

Good luck mid twenties college guy

(I spent 3 mins on google trying to find this guys age .. and I cant .. its nowhere .. f***ing odd)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
As an aside, I still love college football but it's been ruined. Having teams like Stanford in the ACC is f***ing dumb. Pac-12 after dark was awesome and now the conference doesn't exist even though it was a power conference. I don't even know who is in what conference any more.

Glad to be a fan of Navy. We'll likely never compete for a national championship, though with the expanded playoff we at least have a microcosm of a chance, but the dudes on that team are there because they want to be and not because they're hired guns who went to the highest bidder.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't a traditional career though. Most college guys don't make it to the NFL. This is quite possibly the short window in their life where they have a highest earning potential.

If you're a AAAA college player (really good in college but probably UDFA in the NFL, if that), this is the point in your life with your highest earning potential. In most careers (not in football), your highest earning potential is in the mid to late part of your career, so it makes a lot more sense to 'pay your dues' so to speak.

And all of that is without acknowledging the injury risk. Remember Marcus Lattimore with his significant knee injury in his final college game? Under NIL, he would have banked some pretty decent cash before that injury.

It's a very very (VERY) flawed system, but I do not blame players for doing what it takes to maximize their earnings during what is a very short window for most of them.
I guess ….

See, a football “job” (heck any pro sport) is hard to get. Same as top jobs on Wall St, or w law firms, or with tech firms, or with ….. you get my drift.

No ones forcing anyone into choosing a career. It’s about passion and thoughtfulness and abilities.

This particular kid was guiding an undefeated team that was one of a handful of Group of 5 teams that had a real shot at making the 12 team Tourney.

Go play well and get your marketing bucks. Make the tourney and get some serious visibility. This kid is getting some poor advice, IMO.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Why in the shit does the NFL continue to punish the eardrums of skins fans by having the dynamic dud duo of myers and schlereth call their games?!?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Came across this graphic today. I firmly believe Terry would be in the conversation for one of the best in the game if circumstances were different over his first 6 years in the league.....Look at the list lol.... He has consistent garbage throwing to him.

1727376175185.png

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Came across this graphic today. I firmly believe Terry would be in the conversation for one of the best in the game if circumstances were different over his first 6 years in the league.....Look at the list lol.... He has consistent garbage throwing to him.

View attachment 909986
I watch every Skins game and have no memory of Garrett Gilbert lol

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

View attachment 909986
Man have the uniforms gone down f***ing hill!!!

I mean, at least we have the Burgundy and Gold back for home games. The aways are atrocious!!

Go back anytime before Tanya f***ing Snyder got involved, use those?!?!?, add “Washington” (NOT Derrrsssss) to the front, and off we go!!!

Man it irritates me. FAK.

Ok, sorry. Carry on.

What were we talking about?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Man have the uniforms gone down f***ing hill!!!

I mean, at least we have the Burgundy and Gold back for home games. The aways are atrocious!!

Go back anytime before Tanya f***ing Snyder got involved, use those?!?!?, add “Washington” (NOT Derrrsssss) to the front, and off we go!!!

Man it irritates me. FAK.

Ok, sorry. Carry on.

What were we talking about?
The uniforms they wore in Cincy are absolutely terrible. Whoever designed those shoulders should never design anything ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The uniforms they wore in Cincy are absolutely terrible. Whoever designed those shoulders should never design anything ever again.
Agreed. Ugly version of Virginia Techs road jerseys.

They totally complicated it. Just look at some old team whites (used to be home, the whites, for most of my fandom of the Redskins), and apply the look.

I don’t need Spider-Man costume jerseys. Marvel isn’t a thing here for the NFL jerseys. Go back to the future, for hells sakes

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad