OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
A random thought that's been itching at the back of my mind about Penix -- he's a lefty. So if a team takes him 1st or early 2nd with a view toward him starting right away, they're either going to have to have, or build quickly, a strong right side of the OL. Maybe we could interest someone in Andrew Wyl-
no, I can't even type that out with a straight face...

• Haha
Reactions: Bananas

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
A random thought that's been itching at the back of my mind about Penix -- he's a lefty. So if a team takes him 1st or early 2nd with a view toward him starting right away, they're either going to have to have, or build quickly, a strong right side of the OL. Maybe we could interest someone in Andrew Wyl-
no, I can't even type that out with a straight face...
Penix has had what - 4 major injuries so far? He’s a hard no for me regardless of his handedness

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I’m definitely not a fan of Mayhew still being involved in the hiring processes though. And Jason Wright still being in the building. It’s weird as f***.

I agree with what the others said about Mayhew. He was GM in name only here, and the rest of his CV is good. Peters seems to trust him, so that squares it with me.

Not sure it's possible for us to have any idea what Wright's actual role is behind the scenes and what value he might bring. All we see is the public-facing stuff he does and he's good at that. He comes off like a used car salesman, sure, but up to this point the product he's selling can easily be equated to a badly used car. So it might not be fair to damn him for coming off that way.

He's solid as a spokesman for the team, but we really haven't seen that from him since Harris took over. So again, it's not clear what his actual role is. Could be that he's a valuable voice in the room and well-liked.

His footwork (along with the pats, and slight hitch in his throwing motion) seem like negative traits that are coachable.

That tweet earlier about the future HOFers that pat the ball is true. One of the football outlets put a video out a year or two ago about that. The gist was that some QBs keep two hands on the ball a lot of the time, and for them the "pat" was part of their throwing motion; the off-hand comes into contact with the ball as the throwing arm winds back.

Their take was that sometimes it's a natural, benign part of a throwing motion, and with certain other guys it's comparable to an unnatural tic that both tips that a throw is coming and slows down the delivery. Overall I think the verdict was that some of them are so savvy with it (and Rodgers and Mahomes were on that list) that they use it to fake and no-look somewhere else, but those guys are rare. Most are mostly benign cases that don't affect their game, and rarely you get someone that makes the league as a starter and hasn't corrected it.

Been trying to find the video, but no luck. Starting to wonder if it was part of one I watched on Josh Allen and how he had the techno-scan thing to analyze his throwing tendencies. He credits that process as part of what made his accuracy and timing so much better at the NFL level. Anyway, I'll poke around a bit more and post it if I find it.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I did watch a couple Maye videos where I just looked at the feat and did notice a lot of off the back foot stuff with still good zip so was wondering the velocity if he really planted his base and gunned it.

Need to check out some Mcarthy vids.
Yea there is a difference between e.g., Rodgers beating the blitz by throwing off his back foot vs. just being lazy and doing it on routine throws. Maye needs to work on the latter.

But on his good film - when he really steps into it and throws a 25 yd frozen rope over the middle - you can see that elite NFL potential flash. That’s the stuff that gets me excited, even if he tags dudes so hard they just drop it (UNC receivers look bad on so much of his film, lol).

When his technique is sharp he’s got those javelin throws like Allen/Herbert. That’s the kinda +velocity you need to throw guys open in tight spaces like the RZ.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I’m starting to like McCarthy more and more.

I keep watching him.

And he does everything. And he played in a run first offense but came through almost every time he was needed.

Dont get me wrong… the upside on Daniels is through the damn roof. Higher than any of the prospects. But his low is low, imo. And McCarthy just turned 21

I’ve heard this from some good friends of mine, that have been at high levels of football.

McCarthy does it all great. His mechanics are terrific. He can hit and throw all the routes.

But he is not as experienced as the others (# of game played is way behind all the other top 7 QB’s).

So yeah.

I’d be happy with McCarthy. Very. Just not at 2

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Quinn did mention several times that he’s interested in what his staff and players do well and putting them in the position to maximize that. Kingsbury calling plays and Johnson coaching up the QB fits in with that.

I’m definitely not a fan of Mayhew still being involved in the hiring processes though. And Jason Wright still being in the building. It’s weird as f***.

If Adam Peters wants to be everyone’s friend things could derail from sheer lack of clarity and structure.
All due respect. I’m not sure if you’ve ever come into an “established” (for better or worse) entity, and had to clean house? Especially one that actually has objectives that need to be fulfilled?

You cannot cobble together an entire staff with such little time, and expect ANY sort of continuity with the lay staff. It’s a f***ing mess.

You HAVE to keep some of the talent on site — as not all of it sucks ass — and allow them to move forward with your new directives.

“Cleaning House” is NOT changing every single person in the house. It’s cleaning it enough to your vision can be realized. You HAVE to have some previous connections to the previous group and their data.

Have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’ve heard this from some good friends of mine, that have been at high levels of football.

McCarthy does it all great. His mechanics are terrific. He can hit and throw all the routes.

But he is not as experienced as the others (# of game played is way behind all the other top 7 QB’s).

So yeah.

He was super clutch during their title run. Like they ran the ball constantly - but when they HAD to have it on a 3rd down, late in the 4th Q, he scrambled for a first or threw a great pass. He even had a mental health coach on the sideline (which is hilariously Gen Z - but shows self awareness and an ability to focus).

He still feels like an enigma because of his lack of experience, but he has lots of solid pro traits. Wouldn’t be at all surprising if ends up as one of the better guys in this class.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I mean sure but this is the same squad responsible for butchering the previous 4 drafts.

April can’t come soon enough.
We don’t know that. All we know is that the guy making the final dec — he had his mindset. So they all catered to that. Your boss wants things done a certain way. You Do It That Way. You have too, in order to impress. That’s human nature and the work life.

now? New boss. New mindset. New ways of doing things. Don’t assume that everyone scout/advisor/talent evaluator was ass — just because the top person was.

That’s a false conclusion, IMO.

Again. In Peters I trust. Give the man his time and we will see. It will take 12-36mo for his imprint to be fully felt. Not 12 days.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020

So yeah.

Definitely not at #2 but an easy candidate if they were to trade down. Don't really want them to trade down but if they were to and got McCarthy I would not be upset at all. Get a kings ransom from some team really smitten with Daniels or Maye. Guessing he would sit behind Sam for a year and use those extra picks to keep building up the line in front of him

Last edited:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
would rather draft a QB rather than trade down but trading down has it's benefits for a team with many, many holes

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I was hype on Maye all season and I’m coming back around to that.

Only question is upside but straight bust potential is pretty low IMO.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fair. But the bolded quote also suggests that great QBs come out after 4 years starting. That's not uniformly the case. I think there's also something to be learned from guys who are able to progress over their career, and maybe more-so from guys who are able to excel after changing systems.

(I admit to being a bit of a false prophet here, because I still think Bo Nix is the dud I watched for 3 years at AUB. Will I be wrong about that? Probably, but it's my unshakable belief. Until it's shaken.)
Great QBs come out when they think they are ready. With the rookie contract scale, it's also easy to move off a guy vs back in the Stafford/Bradford days giving out massive contracts to an unproven kid. So, always best to be as well prepared as you can, especially if you don't go high in round 1. Have to be prepared and produce when you get onto the field.
JJ McCarthy is a QB I don't think is ready for the NFL next season, he should basically redshirt til Thanksgiving. But, I can understand him coming out with almost all of the Wolverines starters leaving as well as the HC.
Nix, I don't think he has a high ceiling. Seems more like a mobile version of Mac Jones. Not sure what he did this past season that would vault him that much higher than where he would have gone last draft. At best he would have been the 4th or 5th QB off the board,

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Maye is going to need a year or two to hit his groove like Trevor Lawrence but he's the dude. I actually think he's the safest pick of the three. Passing on him is a huge mistake if he's there at 2. Daniels has gigantic bust written all over him. Sorry if this offends you.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
McCarthy in the 2nd and MHJ at 2 would be very enticing but no way Vikings and Broncos are passing on JJ.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Maye is going to need a year or two to hit his groove like Trevor Lawrence but he's the dude. I actually think he's the safest pick of the three. Passing on him is a huge mistake if he's there at 2. Daniels has gigantic bust written all over him. Sorry if this offends you.
No offense taken, but what makes you think Daniels will be a gigantic bust? His frame?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I’ve watched almost every Michigan game for the last decade or so JJ is not that dude I would keep Howell over him.

They actually had games this season where they didn’t let him throw the entire game and I think that tells you everything
A lot of scouts are high on his traits and say the offense didn’t allow him to showcase them.

Why does he suck?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
No offense taken -- I just disagree.

Now... say some shit about my mom...

:lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad