OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

So, with KK running the O - time to bring Gonzaga’s own Caleb Williams home?

I wouldn’t be against it, even if it costs our 2025 1st. Dude has rare arm talent.

I know he always gets compared to Mahomes for his unorthodox scrambling ability - but I’ve always seen a bit of Rodgers in him (as a thrower). He is able to put serious sauce on the ball from all manner of arm angles, and still hit tight windows with incredible ball placement.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Caleb, for me , is the first QB in the draft. Main issue for me is height naturally. His arm talent stands especially when on the run. He also processes fast you can see that when you watch enough tape. If they trade up for him its going to cost so that impacts the rebuild time. Whatever QB they take and develop they need to be drafting for the style needed for the DC and OC schemes.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

In a pretty funny heartbreaker, here's a "Las Vegas Raiders Network" video posted on Feb. 2 on Kingsbury's offense when they thought he was going there. I figured this was the most updated film so I started watching and had to pause because very early on there's this idea that a lot of head coaches are still reliant on the "other guy", which goes back to a post I made on this.

No head coach is an all-encompassing call-both-sides Madden-game style genius. It doesn't matter if you get an offensive or defensive head coach, it's always going to be equally important who the "other guy" is that picks up all the slack the HC doesn't know intrinsically.

If someone's calling both sides and I just don't know it, feel free to tell me who, but for the most part the NFL doesn't lean so hard on a head coach that they dictate the x's and o's on both sides, it's more like the philosophy of the team.

Anyway tl;dr if Quinn is a defensive guy who has a reputation for knowing and activating his players one on one, a guy like Kingsbury who does offense and has manned every role from NFL QB (technically, but it's a good slant of experience to have given their draft position) to HC and back kind of covers all the necessary needs and wants...

Wasn't who anyone predicted or probably wanted, but when you look at them as a collection of pieces there's something there. Now comes the draft and figuring the rest out.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
What's really interesting is that EB hasn't been officially let go or had any change in status, and one would think that if they're making the decision to officially replace him they'd do that when they hired a new OC.

Makes me wonder if he's got a role and they're kind of hoping to retroactively build a superteam of coaches like they had before or if this is just... awkward management.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Caleb, for me , is the first QB in the draft. Main issue for me is height naturally. His arm talent stands especially when on the run. He also processes fast you can see that when you watch enough tape. If they trade up for him its going to cost so that impacts the rebuild time. Whatever QB they take and develop they need to be drafting for the style needed for the DC and OC schemes.
His main issue is going to be playing within the offense. He got statistically better but worse game results going from year 1 to 2 at SC in large part because he held on to the ball way too long when he had guys open at the top of almost every drop because he was hunting the big play. He's going to get murdered in the NFL if he doesn't get rid of that tendency. His height is fine.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What's really interesting is that EB hasn't been officially let go or had any change in status, and one would think that if they're making the decision to officially replace him they'd do that when they hired a new OC.

Makes me wonder if he's got a role and they're kind of hoping to retroactively build a superteam of coaches like they had before or if this is just... awkward management.
EB I don’t really know what to think of right now he’s gonna be under contract. I highly doubt he wants to take a demotion and become a quarterback coach or whatever it would be.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
EB I don’t really know what to think of right now he’s gonna be under contract. I highly doubt he wants to take a demotion and become a quarterback coach or whatever it would be.

RB coach seems reasonable, or possibly assistant OC.

Like you said he might bolt but tbh where's he going to go? Who else is actively looking for an OC rn?

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie

So, with KK running the O - time to bring Gonzaga’s own Caleb Williams home?

I wouldn’t be against it, even if it costs our 2025 1st. Dude has rare arm talent.

The only way Caleb plays for WASH nex year is if WASH offers the following for the first pick:

2024 first.
2025 first
2024 Second
a good young player.

That will be the minimum Ryan Poles (Bears GM) will asked for the #1. It does not matter if you agree with it or not but that is likely what Poles will ask for. Either he gets what he ask for or he'll take Caleb Williams. Washington will have to ask themselves: is it worth it to move up one spot?

The cost is going to hurt whoever moves up to 1/1.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
RB coach seems reasonable, or possibly assistant OC.

Like you said he might bolt but tbh where's he going to go? Who else is actively looking for an OC rn?
The dude who wants to throw every play the RB coach. That would be fun

The only way Caleb plays for WASH nex year is if WASH offers the following for the first pick:

2024 first.
2025 first
2024 Second
a good young player.

That will be the minimum Ryan Poles (Bears GM) will asked for the #1. It does not matter if you agree with it or not but that is likely what Poles will ask for. Either he gets what he ask for or he'll take Caleb Williams. Washington will have to ask themselves: is it worth it to move up one spot?

Hell no

Caleb is like a 9.4 and Maye is a 9.1 if you trade 3 high picks for that you are a dumbass

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think it’s just the opposite. KK needs to figure out what’s best for Williams/Daye or Daniel’s and adjust to their strengths. IMO I see that happening, Quinn and KK have plenty of experience to know that’s what needs to be done. Just take a look at the Cowboys D, Quinn put every player in the best position for them and the team to succeed

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

2024 first.
2025 first
2024 Second
a good young player.

He can ask whatever he wants…doesn’t mean he gets it.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Feel like one of the reasons harris/peters brought kliff in is to get that inside info on caleb. He’ll know better than anyone whether he’s truly nfl-ready and if he’s worth paying that much up to get, or the actual price hes really worth offering to chicago

This hire tells me they will at least make an offer to chicago for the 1st pick, but doesnt mean it’ll be some crazy bucket of 1sts. Then its just take it or leave it as we can easily go the daniels route

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
keim said hiring kliff has nothing to do with caleb. he might provide intel but he's also hired to help bring along the #2 qb

i don't think they will be trading for caleb, again, pointless to trade those 5 picks in the top 100 which you worked so hard for

just draft Daniels and let Kliff work. Also interesting note from Keim podcast, Longo who ran the UNC offense is a disciple of Air raid, so Howell and Maye are very familiar with air raid, like Kliff.

Just a note.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
keim said hiring kliff has nothing to do with caleb. he might provide intel but he's also hired to help bring along the #2 qb

i don't think they will be trading for caleb, again, pointless to trade those 5 picks in the top 100 which you worked so hard for

just draft Daniels and let Kliff work. Also interesting note from Keim podcast, Longo who ran the UNC offense is a disciple of Air raid, so Howell and Maye are very familiar with air raid, like Kliff.

Just a note.
Barring the new Washington brass believing that Caleb so much better than both Maye/Daniels, and is worth the extra that they have to give up, like one of their DT, 2025 1st, and whatever else, I would just sit tight and take one of Maye/Daniels. Also want to find out if Chicago is eying leaving the draft with MHJr specifically and thus can't trade past AZ at #4. So, would be them and NE to trade with vs. say ATL or even the NYG.

Questions for all 3 QBS IMO. Can Caleb play in structure? He's great off script, but you need to run the offense through structure. Plus, can he handle being the leader of men, where he has to show composure when times are tough and step up as a leader to get the team going?
Maye, has all of the tools, but relies on the tools too much, taking hits when running and being off on his mechanics.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
f*** trading up , just pick the QB you like best with the second pick or trade down if someone is willing to give you a great offer and take one of the top 2 ot

you can win with a game manger qb and a great team around him easier than with a great qb and a mediocre team

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Do not trade up! We don’t know which of the QBs will be the best, and won’t probably for a couple years. And while you may say the odds are higher with QB A vs QB B, those odds don’t outweigh the cost to trade up. Get the best gift available at 2, and use the rest to build the team. Learn from the RG3 mistake

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah no way you trade up one spot.

I don't think they hired an OC for 3yrs just for intel on a prospect, though. Something else is involved.
Wasn't this offense also a fit for Drake?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad