Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
yeah well they're gonna give that back and then some in the top of the 8th, mets have bases loaded no out.

Reactions: Anthrax442

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yeah two passed balls... Schneider looked like a genius pinch running Server for Kirk so he could score a run..

Serven just gave up two runs.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Gah.. another tight loss. Trying not to get too upset about it. Probably would have kicked a few rocks if it was May.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Joe and Caleb are right. You gotta adjust to the game situation. You can't catch on one knee with guy on 3rd base. You have to be ready to block the ball, not steal strikes in that situation. I do hate the Jays analytics dept. You can't follow analytics blindly, you still gotta adjust to game situations. No?

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Joe and Caleb are right. You gotta adjust to the game situation. You can't catch on one knee with guy on 3rd base. You have to be ready to block the ball, not steal strikes in that situation. I do hate the Jays analytics dept. You can't follow analytics blindly, you still gotta adjust to game situations. No?
I agree with them totally. And this leads to the problems with this trash organization. Common sense gives way to analytics…full stop. They did it last playoffs, and they continue to do it. The day we’re rid of those two incompetent boobs in power is the day the Jays will be on the road to turning this around.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Even that's not as straightforward. If it was Kirk, you let him catch however he wants because he's one of the best blockers in the league.

Sometimes things feel a certain way and ding reflect reality. The one knee approach has become more and more common and it hasn't lead to more passed balls.

I agree with them totally. And this leads to the problems with this trash organization. Common sense gives way to analytics…full stop. They did it last playoffs, and they continue to do it. The day we’re rid of those two incompetent boobs in power is the day the Jays will be on the road to turning this around.
Quick reminder that most of the best teams in the league rely more on analytics than the Jays.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Even that's not as straightforward. If it was Kirk, you let him catch however he wants because he's one of the best blockers in the league.

Sometimes things feel a certain way and ding reflect reality. The one knee approach has become more and more common and it hasn't lead to more passed balls.

Quick reminder that most of the best teams in the league rely more on analytics than the Jays.
No question, and there is a place for analytics in baseball. But there are times, like last playoffs, where leaving Berrios in made more sense than what analytics tell you. Same with the discussion this evening, if a man is on third base,and a pitcher throws a lot of curveballs, it makes more sense for the catcher to be on both legs because it allows easier lateral movement.

GermanJay

Mar 4, 2017
Gah.. another tight loss. Trying not to get too upset about it. Probably would have kicked a few rocks if it was May.
I dont care about those tight losses against Playoff Teams especially when non essential Players for 2025 like Serven are involved. As long as they are competitive and wont get stomped its fun to watch those young position players battling for their 2025 Spot.
Plus side is that the draft position gets better

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No question, and there is a place for analytics in baseball. But there are times, like last playoffs, where leaving Berrios in made more sense than what analytics tell you. Same with the discussion this evening, if a man is on third base,and a pitcher throws a lot of curveballs, it makes more sense for the catcher to be on both legs because it allows easier lateral movement.

I don't know that this is really an 'analytics' thing.

Serven catches on one knee and has for years and I don't really know that asking him to do something that would be weird/awkward for him would be the best idea either. To me, messing around with your catcher's stance based on situation is the definition of 'analytics' as opposed to the opposite of it.

Plus that second passed ball was just a pure mistake that had nothing to do with catching position.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Todays Bison lineup could smack around many an ML starter. That’s with 4 of their best on the big team.

Reactions: Eyedea

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I don't know that this is really an 'analytics' thing.

Serven catches on one knee and has for years and I don't really know that asking him to do something that would be weird/awkward for him would be the best idea either. To me, messing around with your catcher's stance based on situation is the definition of 'analytics' as opposed to the opposite of it.

Plus that second passed ball was just a pure mistake that had nothing to do with catching position.
Two catchers I respect and have played the position, Siddell and Joseph, happened to think it WAS analytics and had quite a bit to say about this post-game. I think I'll side with them.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Todays Bison lineup could smack around many an ML starter. That’s with 4 of their best on the big team.

So many debbie downers taking the Jays prospect rankings to heart when they’ve had multiple hitters come up this year and show solid value while also having Orelvis, Roden, Kasevich, Clase, and some guy named Bo on the Bisons.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Jays Care auction used to be a cool opportunity for people to do unique things, but it seems in the last few years that the bids have gone way up and it's now just an opportunity for rich people to live out fantasies. It's great that Jays Care gets all the money but no "normal" person is going to be able to spend like $20k to go fishing with Buck or $15k to buy a Geddy Lee guitar and be able to bid competitively for a real shot at any of the really interesting prizes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad