Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Wed, Jun 26 | @ BOS | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Rodriguez vs Crawford

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Lol wtf was that bullshit 3rd strike?
I've definitely come around to going to the robo-ump system. There have been far too many egregious bad calls to justify it at this point. But that box on the screen at all times has completely ruined how balls and strikes called are perceived. It showed that last strike was just outside. For me however, if that box wasn't there, that would have looked like a perfectly fine 3rd strike pitch that nibbled the corner.

Reactions: hoglund

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've definitely come around to going to the robo-ump system. There have been far too many egregious bad calls to justify it at this point. But that box on the screen at all times has completely ruined how balls and strikes called are perceived. It showed that last strike was just outside. For me however, if that box wasn't there, that would have looked like a perfectly fine 3rd strike pitch that nibbled the corner.

I notice a lot of times on these egregious missed calls, though, Sportsnet runs that strike zone graphic, showing how far outside or inside or low or high the pitch ended up being. Seems fairly accurate.

Another issue is how framing affects these umps.......like a ball that is half a foot below the knees can still get a call half the time if the catcher is quick enough with his glove to bring it up in the zone.

Hopefully soon at least MLB implements the hitter's challenge system, the one I think they're testing in the minors right now.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Heard a stat yesterday on Blair and Barker, I think they were talking with Buck and he mentioned the Jays were something like 27-3 when they give their starter three runs.

THREE RUNS.

How the team's hitting coach remains employed is beyond me. There is something fundamentally wrong with the team offense, yet Shapiro/Atkins are too stubborn to do anything about it. How many starts have been wasted by an anemic offense and shaky bullpen? Too many!
Wait till these hitting coaches get a hold of our good young hitters....they'll be so messed up they'll look like AAA'ers. Then they'll say "see, that's why we didn't bring them up 3 weeks ago".

Why have they not fired Atkins, Schneider, the hitting coaches? Have you seen the Jays' schedule in the next few weeks? They're done. They hitched their wagon to an outta shape catcher who can't run, a right fielder who can't catch up to balls pitched in the centre of the strike zone, a slugger who doesn't slug, an old dh who hits inconsistently, and a bullpen that had no depth.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Wait till these hitting coaches get a hold of our good young hitters....they'll be so messed up they'll look like AAA'ers. Then they'll say "see, that's why we didn't bring them up 3 weeks ago".

Why have they not fired Atkins, Schneider, the hitting coaches? Have you seen the Jays' schedule in the next few weeks? They're done. They hitched their wagon to an outta shape catcher who can't run, a right fielder who can't catch up to balls pitched in the centre of the strike zone, a slugger who doesn't slug, an old dh who hits inconsistently, and a bullpen that had no depth.

I feel like it's pretty close for at least one of them to go. Something's gotta give, maybe it'll take a sweep by the Sox to finally force their hand.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm normally someone who defends Schneider (and most non-Montoyo managers) because the nature of MLB management is that you have like 50 decisions in a game that can be analyzed and if 49 of them are good and in the 50th the manager takes a 23% option over a 26% option fans LOSE THEIR MINDS and say the guy is a moron who should be fired immediately.

But that wasn't a good game for Schneider. Made a good/brave decision to bring Little in for a big out against a good LH hitter ... then leaves him in to get smoked by a guy with a 220 OPS+ vs. lefties. Took the red-hot Horwitz out of a 1-run game too early and lost his last AB. Had guys like Springer and Kirk coming up in key ABs late in the game.

Also we can probably put the 'Kirk is coming around' thing to bed now. 2-22 in June.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I'm normally someone who defends Schneider (and most non-Montoyo managers) because the nature of MLB management is that you have like 50 decisions in a game that can be analyzed and if 49 of them are good and in the 50th the manager takes a 23% option over a 26% option fans LOSE THEIR MINDS and say the guy is a moron who should be fired immediately.

But that wasn't a good game for Schneider. Made a good/brave decision to bring Little in for a big out against a good LH hitter ... then leaves him in to get smoked by a guy with a 220 OPS+ vs. lefties. Took the red-hot Horwitz out of a 1-run game too early and lost his last AB. Had guys like Springer and Kirk coming up in key ABs late in the game.

Also we can probably put the 'Kirk is coming around' thing to bed now. 2-22 in June.
Yeah, unfortunately I had this one pegged several weeks ago when people were defending him on a very small sample size. In my post I clearly showed that any improvement was an illusion. He hasn't been good offensively for a year and half now and compound that with his lack of speed on the basepaths, it's apparent he's not what management thought he was or would be. Sure, an ok backup catcher, but who thought that was his ceiling?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, unfortunately I had this one pegged several weeks ago when people were defending him on a very small sample size. In my post I clearly showed that any improvement was an illusion. He hasn't been good offensively for a year and half now and compound that with his lack of speed on the basepaths, it's apparent he's not what management thought he was or would be. Sure, an ok backup catcher, but who thought that was his ceiling?

Kirk's bipolar career split before/since the 2022 ASG is absolutely baffling. Almost overnight he went from a guy spraying line drives and XBH all over the field to the lineup-killing soft contact merchant we see now.

Career OPS before that ASG was like .830 and it's down around .650 since.

He absolutely smoked a 110 MPH home run a couple weeks ago that looked like the 2020-22 Kirk and when you saw his swing on that ball it was like 'Oh, yeah! That's what he used to do all the time!' and it stood out like a sore thumb next to the constant drone of soft contact we've seen for two years now. This feels like one of many players that could benefit in a huge way from a change in hitting coaches and approach. It feels like he's trying to defensively cover the strike zone and drop base hits in front of the outfielders rather than looking for his pitch and turning on it the way he did when he first came up.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
How’s Jansen doing in June? No doubt Kirk has looked bad at the plate overall this year. I still think he can turn it around, at least to a respectable level, not his All Star level

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
How’s Jansen doing in June? No doubt Kirk has looked bad at the plate overall this year. I still think he can turn it around, at least to a respectable level, not his All Star level
:facepalm: Please tell me you're not comparing Jansen's blip in June to Kirk's year and a half blip. Even so, Jansen .248 BA, .777 OPS, 122 OPS+ to Kirk's below Mendoza line .197 BA, .561 OPS, .63 OPS+ is just not close. Even our bonehead manager recognizes that Kirk is a backup catcher at this time. As for your hope that Kirk can turn it around, well, about as likely as me getting a date with Kate Beckinsale.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
:facepalm: Please tell me you're not comparing Jansen's blip in June to Kirk's year and a half blip. Even so, Jansen .248 BA, .777 OPS, 122 OPS+ to Kirk's below Mendoza line .197 BA, .561 OPS, .63 OPS+ is just not close. Even our bonehead manager recognizes that Kirk is a backup catcher at this time. As for your hope that Kirk can turn it around, well, about as likely as me getting a date with Kate Beckinsale.
I said turn it around to a respectable level, he’s not this bad

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Don't sell yourself short, Kirk aside.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We lead the league in first inning "threats"

I just might invest in a second pizza tonight.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I feel like it's pretty close for at least one of them to go. Something's gotta give, maybe it'll take a sweep by the Sox to finally force their hand.
I feel like they might fire Schneider and attach an interim to Mattingly but that better never surpass interim. Atkins will be an off season fire unfortunately. If that wasn’t the case he’d be gone already

Reactions: Dr Pepper

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
On a 10-17 run but instead of putting Barger or Schneider in the OF they gotta keep giving Kiermaier and Springer ABs.
I don't understand putting both Springer and Kiermaier in the lineup at the same time as they are both black holes right now.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad