Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Sun, Jun 30 | vs NYY | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Cole vs Gausman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Super late on this since it's 10pm in Toronto now, but I had the idea again (I think I did this last season or the year before) that if there's no game tonight I could put up some alternate baseball for your listening pleasure:

From May 14, 1957 it's the Brooklyn Dodgers playing against the Milwaukee Braves.

I won't spoil the results of the game (you can look that up yourself if you want. Googling the date and teams will send you to the baseball-reference box score page) but some info and background:
  • This is the Dodger broadcast as presented by Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett (Scully had been the Dodgers' play-by-play since 1950)
  • This was the final season for the Dodgers in Brooklyn before relocating to Los Angeles. The Braves would play another 10 years before moving to Atlanta.
  • There are 6 future hall-of-famers in the game. For the Dodgers: Pee Wee Reese (SS), Duke Snider (CF), Gil Hodges (1B), and Roy Campanella (C). For the Braves: Eddie Mathews (3B), and Hank Aaron (RF). This game just missed out on Jackie Robinson, who retired after the 1956 season)
  • Your pitching matchup is Don Newcombe (the reigning Cy Young and NL MVP winner) vs Bob Buhl (based on his performance that season he looks like the 2nd best starter on the team behind Warren Spahn)

I'm trying to catalog a ton of classic games I have access to and maybe I'll pop up links to some of the more interesting or historical ones from time to time.

This is fantastic thx for sharing

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
ok that was funny. I don't think I have ever seen a bullpen pitcher start running in and then pivot quickly back.

Letting Rodon pitch further is idiotic

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
If my criticizing players is enough to make them suddenly wake up, I should do it more often lol.

So...Bichette sucks! Can't hit the broadside of a barn. *watches intently*

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
ok that was funny. I don't think I have ever seen a bullpen pitcher start running in and then pivot quickly back.

Letting Rodon pitch further is idiotic
ROv0LK@facebook.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I honestly can't even.

They've given him 4 ABs against LHP this year. He's 1-4. The season is shot. Figure out whether he can hit lefties.

.753 OPS against lefties in AAA this year.
Sub-.700 OPS the previous two years.

He's never been able to hit them in the minors, so I don't think having him try it out against major league pitching is a particularly good idea when you're able to field a lineup full of righties (other than CF).

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
This is a terrible and probably wrong take. Find me an analytics based argument that would suggest you should keep batting a terrible hitter in middle/high spots in the lineup.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I can easily make an old-school non-mathy explanation: the idea that Springer is important and needs to get going so the team decides to force feed him at-bats possibly in "protected" spots in the lineup until he rebounds. Similar case for Kiermaier except not high in the lineup because he has no history as a dangerous bat. We've seen these sorts of things happen and heard old-school guys like Buck argue for them in the past.

Not saying the latter is what's happening, but it at least makes more sense than blaming "analytics" for no really definable reason besides the fact that the team is known to use math in its decision making process and it becomes an easy target especially for traditionalist fans.
Most of the best teams have a good offense. Trying to build your team around run prevention while having a lineup that can't even efficiently manufacture runs is foolish.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That's now 8 of the last 11 games where the Yanks have given up 7+ runs lol

Keep pounding them.
Their rotation is in trouble. Gil threw 4 innings last year and the year before around 29 innings. He's easily exceeded that already. Cole sucked last outing and if he does again he likely needs TJ or something similar. Rodon is junk.

Outside of Soto and Judge, they have average bats. No depth at all.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The inconsistency is annoying. Why can’t George do that on a semi-regular basis? I know he is declining and all that, but there is no way he is a low 600 ops guy. He is too talented. Same about Vladdy. Why can’t he consistently hit like this? As in hit for power and do damage. He is still way too prone to hitting grounders and getting doubled up with men on base, though. Our most steady hitter has been IKF, and that won’t do.

Last edited:

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Springer is 34, he's not 40. You can still see elite outfield defense, he can run, jump, make good throws, i think he has the most steals on the team?

what the hell happend to his batting skill then, and all of a sudden he hits 3 bombs in 3 consecutive at bats?

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Vladdy not having a good game today... horrible attempt to score on the wild pitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad