Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Fri, Jun 28 | vs NYY | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Stroman vs Kikkuchi

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Dude. I've known this since March. LOL.

I know that you guys think that I'm an overly pessimistic fan sometimes. But, I don't think I am. I've just been watching sports long enough now to have a general idea of if a team has it or they don't. And 9 times out of 10. Or maybe even more. 99 times out of 100 I'm right.
No I’ve been out in this team for a bit but when we flirted with .500 a couple weeks ago there was too much see with all this time left we are right in it.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
No I’ve been out in this team for a bit but when we flirted with .500 a couple weeks ago there was too much see with all this time left we are right in it.
Yeah flirting with .500 playing so called bad teams, and they couldnt hit .500 in a multitude of tries.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Junk team.

Hitting is atrocious, pitching nothing special this year (trending worse as the season goes), their best players are their young players, and the coach has no idea what he's doing with lineups.

Reactions: trellaine201

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I don't know what to think, they're playing terrible, but so are so many other teams which leaves the Blue Jays still in a possible playoff race. Most would think that the Jays will be sellers at the trade deadline, but I'm torn.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know what to think, they're playing terrible, but so are so many other teams which leaves the Blue Jays still in a possible playoff race. Most would think that the Jays will be sellers at the trade deadline, but I'm torn.

I was on the 'there's still a chance' train until these last two series.

They're now 6.5 out and their playoff odds are at 1.3%. It's over.

If they could have gone 4-2 in these two series and were 1 game over .500 they would be in a decent position. But instead they went on a losing streak when they simply didn't have the room to go on a losing streak.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

If they could have gone 4-2 in these two series and were 1 game over .500 they would be in a decent position. But instead they went on a losing streak when they simply didn't have the room to go on a losing streak.

It’s sad because pre-season players were talking about proving the doubters wrong and going deep in the playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s sad because pre-season players were talking about proving the doubters wrong and going deep in the playoffs.

Baseball is a weird one because some other sports can come down to effort but I don't think this is a case where the players 'aren't trying' or 'don't care'. You look at a guy like Springer and he's been great defensively (especially relative to his age) and giving a huge effort in the field and the reason he can't hit isn't because he isn't trying. Vladdy is working his ass off but just can't elevate the ball. Bichette looked like he was going to cry in the dugout at one point during his most recent slump.

The season tanking has come down to two things :

1) They just can't hit. Part of this is bad roster build, part of this appears to just be bad approach and bad coaching.

2) The bullpen has imploded both through injuries and out-of-nowhere terrible performances.

Starting pitching and defense has been good but you just won't make the playoffs when two aspects of your team go this wrong.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Baseball is a weird one because some other sports can come down to effort but I don't think this is a case where the players 'aren't trying' or 'don't care'. You look at a guy like Springer and he's been great defensively (especially relative to his age) and giving a huge effort in the field and the reason he can't hit isn't because he isn't trying. Vladdy is working his ass off but just can't elevate the ball. Bichette looked like he was going to cry in the dugout at one point during his most recent slump.

The season tanking has come down to two things :

1) They just can't hit. Part of this is bad roster build, part of this appears to just be bad approach and bad coaching.

2) The bullpen has imploded both through injuries and out-of-nowhere terrible performances.

Starting pitching and defense has been good but you just won't make the playoffs when two aspects of your team go this wrong.

I know, which makes it more tragic in a way. They are willing, but not able. It's not working.

Reactions: MS

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Yeah, other than that disappointing Detroit series, they were playing well and doing what they needed to do for almost a month. A 10 game winning streak or something would have been nice, but they were consistently winning series against bad teams and holding their own against good teams.

I would have felt ok with 3-3 in these last 6... that would have held them within 3-ish games with still tons of time left. Instead they've backed themselves into a corner where they're 6.5 out, 4 other teams have moved past them, and they pretty much have to go on a run at some point rather than just playing solid ball and winning series.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, other than that disappointing Detroit series, they were playing well and doing what they needed to do for almost a month. A 10 game winning streak or something would have been nice, but they were consistently winning series against bad teams and holding their own against good teams.

I would have felt ok with 3-3 in these last 6... that would have held them within 3-ish games with still tons of time left. Instead they've backed themselves into a corner where they're 6.5 out, 4 other teams have moved past them, and they pretty much have to go on a run at some point rather than just playing solid ball and winning series.

Yeah, they were doing OK-ish for a month there but I think the bullpen issues have basically just dropped the bottom out, especially the injury to Garcia. That means their 5 most effective relievers from last year (Romano, Hicks, Garcia, Swanson, Mayza) are all gone, injured, or useless.

They could win with the shitting hitting but good pitching and defense and that was what was happening for a bit, but you can't win with bad hitting and a bad bullpen and the starting pitching starting to struggle likely because they've been overworked due to the bullpen issues.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

It was only a matter of time before Houston and Texas passed the Jays. Both teams are still under .500, but you have to think they'll keep pushing and finish with a decent record

Jays could make a run (doubt it), but they won't pass either team imo. It's essentially over.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah flirting with .500 playing so called bad teams, and they couldnt hit .500 in a multitude of tries.
No I agree. I worded that poorly. When we got close again that last time there were a bunch of posters stating see it's way too early to write off the season. If you can't already see this offence lead by our current managers isn't going anywhere, I don't know what to say. Even if we somehow squeaked into the post season it's for the two games we'll lose and nothing more and we'll score between 1 and 3 runs total in those two games.

Don't concern yourself with the other garbage teams. Think about the good teams. We aren't getting by the Yanks, Orioles, Guardians, Dodgers or whoever else sits at the top. This team just has way way too many holes to trully compete.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

yea getting swept consecutively by two teams ahead of you in the standings when you're trying to claw your way back is a huge blow. It just shows where we are at. The good thing is that we've at least seen some hr's of late. Pretty much all solo shots which is ironic lol

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Jays are lucky to be 6.5 back since there's 3 teams making the WC and only 1 team is way ahead (Baltimore). Both AL and NL have an oddly high number of team bunched up roughly .500 so even the Jays actually have a chance if they go on a good run with half a season left.

By the looks of it, since WC3 got added you only need about 90 wins to scrape in. Sometimes less. Boston at WC3 is trending to 87 wins.

Doubtful, but Jays would need to go 52-33 (play .611 rest of season) to get to 87-75 to match Boston's trend.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Doubtful, but Jays would need to go 52-33 (play .611 rest of season) to get to 87-75 to match Boston's trend.
I heard on the radio today that they would have to play at a 97 win pace (whole season) to get to 86 wins. And that number is highly unlikely to get you a 3rd WC spot...

They didnt even win 97 games in the WS winning years or the 2015 resurgence.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I’d be perfectly happy with the team selling off any free agents including Jansen, Kikuch and Turner.

I’m also coming around to the idea of moving Bichette if a team wants to pay a big price.

I’m indifferent on Bassit.

We’re stuck with Springer but I’d still pay 50 % of his contract if a team wants to buy low.

Gausman, Varsho, Vlad, Schneider, Berrios, etc will be harder to move for me. These are players that could still help in a 1 year re-tool. But I’m open to moving pretty much everyone except Vlad and players with 5+ years control.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Well if we are gonna tank the season Springer and his rally killing ways are perfect to have in the lineup

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Well if we are gonna tank the season Springer and his rally killing ways are perfect to have in the lineup

I've believed for years that people are unfairly critical of managers, and that hasn't changed with Schneider. But holy god, he HAS to just be trolling fans at this point, right? He can't possibly think hitting him there every day gives them the best chance to win, can he?

Reactions: MS and canucksfan

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Springer at 5 not really working out. Shockingly.

You wonder if home fans will start booing him when the team gets back to Toronto.
That would be a shame. He seems like a great guy and a hard worker and it's killing him to be struggling like this. Schneider is setting him up for failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad