Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Fri, Jul 5 | @ Sea | 9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT | Gausman vs Castillo

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah…. This team is done. If Atkins doesn’t know what direction to go in now than he should be fired. He might be fired anyway but this is just embarassing. Fire Schneider, fire the hitting coaches.

Get some kids up and make this team watchable. I got tickets for July 27th when Texas comes to town.. I’m not even sure I want to go. It takes this team 3-4 hits to get a run. Zero power, errors, zero speed, not young, boring. Do something Atkins

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yeah…. This team is done. If Atkins doesn’t know what direction to go in now than he should be fired. He might be fired anyway but this is just embarassing. Fire Schneider, fire the hitting coaches.

Get some kids up and make this team watchable. I got tickets for July 27th when Texas comes to town.. I’m not even sure I want to go. It takes this team 3-4 hits to get a run. Zero power, errors, zero speed, not young, boring. Do something Atkins
I don’t want Atkins to be the one doing something. He needs to go.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Home runs by team:
28. Toronto Blue Jays 60
29. Miami Marlins 59
29. Washington Nationals 59

I knew we were one of the lowest but one more than being at the bottom of the league. Yikes.
Atkins has turned us into the most expensive version of his Cleveland Indians.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
They got the kids up. they just arent letting them play regularly, even when they are producing.

hell lately the only ones that are producing are the Buffalo
I guess what I meant was blow it up. I have zero interest watching KK, Springer, Turner and Kirk chop the ball into the ground or strike out

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Home runs by team:
28. Toronto Blue Jays 60
29. Miami Marlins 59
29. Washington Nationals 59

I knew we were one of the lowest but one more than being at the bottom of the league. Yikes.
In 2021 they were first and the 2nd place team has 22 fewer home runs. In 2022 they were 7th. Playing in minor league ballparks in 2021 might skew it slightly but still a dominant team with home runs.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I guess what I meant was blow it up. I have zero interest watching KK, Springer, Turner and Kirk chop the ball into the ground or strike out
They cant do anything about Springer... And who's gonna take KK or Turner in a trade to free up those roster spots?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t want Atkins to be the one doing something. He needs to go.

100%.

This is on Atkins. To be in the position we're in now from where we were sitting 2021-22 is a disaster and the GM has to wear it.

The last thing that should happen is that the manager gets fired to buy more time for the GM.

They cant do anything about Springer... And who's gonna take KK or Turner in a trade to free up those roster spots?

KK will be very easy to trade. There will probably be multiple contending teams lining up to add him as a 4th OF and add his leadership to their clubhouse.

Turner a bit less so but if he keeps his OPS+ about 100 you could probably get a small return back.

Reactions: canucksfan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The whole hitting approach is so defensive. Protect the zone, try to work the pitcher, take walks, limit strikeouts, low swing velocity. 2nd most BBs in the AL, 2nd fewest Ks, best K:BB ratio ... fewest HRs.

They're out there playing Don Mattingly 1970s/1980s small ball, and it's not working.

When this team was blowing up in 2021 they were so aggressive. Hunting pitches, big swings, big exit velocities. Constant green light on 3-0. Now it's literally the exact opposite.

The guys from Buffalo are all keeping it simple and looking for fastballs to drive and that's why they're having success. The rest of the lineup is just a bunch of veteran players looking confused and ineffective.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
How have no changes happened yet? Loserville

Now that injuries have struck too just blow this pos up. Start with management

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don’t understand the need for so many hitting coaches. Just have one like teams always used to. There is so much over coaching in the game today, it’s scary. So much information, I think it’s hurting the game. Anyway, fire everybody and just name EE as the hitting coach if he wants it. Or if you want Mattingly as your #1 hitting guru, then fire all the others and make him the one and only voice. I don’t know, I don’t think players need so many voices.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don’t understand the need for so many hitting coaches. Just have one like teams always used to. There is so much over coaching in the game today, it’s scary. So much information, I think it’s hurting the game. Anyway, fire everybody and just name EE as the hitting coach if he wants it. Or if you want Mattingly as your #1 hitting guru, then fire all the others and make him the one and only voice. I don’t know, I don’t think players need so many voices.
From my understanding, each hitting coach has a different role. One will help with hitting strategy and another one will be more technique. Personally, I wouldn't want my hitting coordinator to be an older guy like Mattingly. The game has changed a lot. He doesn't strike me as an analytical guy either.

Whatever they are doing it's not working. I would have liked them to make changes in the offseason but they didn't. This would have allowed them to see if it was the hitters or the coaches.

Matt Hague had success in Buffalo and I would keep him around. The rest I would get rid of.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Offense is down this year across the MLB but still this team has declined a lot from last year. Why not make a change in hitting coaches? This should have happened much earlier.

I know Vlad isn't hitting for power and has cooled off the past few weeks but I'm getting sick of him being grouped in with Springer and Bichette. I hate to say it but they are the biggest contributors to our offensive struggles.

George is down 30+ WRC+ from last season and 60 WRC+ from 2 seasons ago. Bichette is down 45 WRC+ compared to last season.

You don't think Guerrero would actually get a pitch to hit if the other two main "offensive threats" on the team weren't absolute dog shit right now?

I agree that it's baffling that we haven't made a single change in our hitting coaches in the past 2 seasons despite a clearly broken approach.

Reactions: canucksfan and MS

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I know Vlad isn't hitting for power and has cooled off the past few weeks but I'm getting sick of him being grouped in with Springer and Bichette. I hate to say it but they are the biggest contributors to our offensive struggles.

George is down 30+ WRC+ from last season and 60 WRC+ from 2 seasons ago. Bichette is down 45 WRC+ compared to last season.

You don't think Guerrero would actually get a pitch to hit if the other two main "offensive threats" on the team weren't absolute dog shit right now?

I agree that it's baffling that we haven't made a single change in our hitting coaches in the past 2 seasons despite a clearly broken approach.
I think we should just keep Vlad. His value is down right now so selling him for pennies on the dollar doesn’t make sense. If we’re rebuilding or re-tooling it doesn’t hurt to keep him. He may end up peaking at 28-29 similar to Encarnacion. Vlad is young enough that he is probably better than any prospect we get in return in the year 2030 so there isn’t a ton of incentive to move him.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Will be interesting to see how long they keep giving Springer regular at bats. 34 wRC in June.

Brutal Horwitz is not starting.
It's unbelievably stupid. I'm all for having patience with veterans and slowly working young guys into the lineup, but holy shit. We're almost halfway through the season and Springer has shown no signs of figuring it out while Horwitz has looked fantastic every time he's been in.

The playing time for those two alone suggests they don't feel any sense of urgency at this point in the season, and that's concerning.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It's unbelievably stupid. I'm all for having patience with veterans and slowly working young guys into the lineup, but holy shit. We're almost halfway through the season and Springer has shown no signs of figuring it out while Horwitz has looked fantastic every time he's been in.

The playing time for those two alone suggests they don't feel any sense of urgency at this point in the season, and that's concerning.
It doesn’t create a good culture. Springer has been the shits since after the first series.

Even Clement should be playing. He had two days off now in a row.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It doesn’t create a good culture. Springer has been the shits since after the first series.

Even Clement should be playing. He had two days off now in a row.
Exactly. Having such clearly different standards and expectations for veterans and rookies is ridiculous.

Schneider eventually broke through it, but if you need to have 300+ PA before you get in the lineup regularly, it's going to be too late by the time it gets there.

Center fielder has priority. Come on Schneider.
Yeah, Varsho was calling it early enough but Schneider didn't peel off until the last second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad