Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Atkins must really be hoping Blue Jays fans en masse are stupid with those delusional comments. He might not be wrong but at some point even the plebs get restless.

Reactions: trellaine201

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I don't frequent this board but everything about this team screams bad management.

Team rarely looks sharp, consistently makes mental errors, they don't fix mistakes that keep repeating themselves, they rarely look motivated. They're always lacking an edge. Players are too comfortable. Always get beat in the finer details. So many players underperform. Guerrero and Bichette were two of the most exciting hitting prospects in baseball not too long ago. Manoa went from one of the best pitchers into the league to out of it the next year. There's just so many things that scream bad management.

Does Schneider have dirt on the higher ups or something? Because he should have been gone a while ago.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't frequent this board but everything about this team screams bad management.

Team rarely looks sharp, consistently makes mental errors, they don't fix mistakes that keep repeating themselves, they rarely look motivated. They're always lacking an edge. Players are too comfortable. Always get beat in the finer details. So many players underperform. Guerrero and Bichette were two of the most exciting hitting prospects in baseball not too long ago. Manoa went from one of the best pitchers into the league to out of it the next year. There's just so many things that scream bad management.

Does Schneider have dirt on the higher ups or something? Because he should have been gone a while ago.
I remember Mattingly commenting “we’re not a home run hitting type of team” despite having several players who have big time power i.e Vlad, Bichette, Jansen, Springer, Varsho Turner etc. I never understood those comments. This team should be hitting way more home runs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Manoah pitches today, hopefully he pitches as well as his last start and the offense wakes up. To be fair the last 4 weeks a virus has been going around and many games they haven't had many or noone on the bench and the players in the game were not all at %100. I don't know why the sick players weren't isolated or at least wearing masks. The team will never get well without doing that.
Even at %100 they weren't playing well, but the virus spreading didn't help.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Manoah pitches today, hopefully he pitches as well as his last start and the offense wakes up. To be fair the last 4 weeks a virus has been going around and many games they haven't had many or noone on the bench and the players in the game were not all at %100. I don't know why the sick players weren't isolated or at least wearing masks. The team will never get well without doing that.
What kind of virus was going around?

The catchers wore a mask.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I can understand a virus affecting your performance, but I can’t really fathom the cold spell Turner is in. He’s not even OPSing his weight in the month of May.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Obviously the majority in here know this team is trash offensively but there is a small group who continue to champion a few of the slugs. You mention Kirk and Vogelbach, I had someone tell me Kirk is hitting well in the past month according to some stat and that Vogelbach got a key hit in one game thus justifying his spot on the roster. You and a few of these guys are the only ones surprised by how crap Kirk is. He’s just following his pattern from last season.

The team has the 5th worst record in the majors with runners in scoring position and second worst at producing runs. Similar to last season. Not many are surprised by these stats given the moves made by this management during the off-season. I think your “faith” in this team was misguided. I agree 100% this team needs to be torn down to its studs, but I don’t want Atkins doing the demolishing.
Yes people are surprised by Kirk because it’s a sudden change in who he’s been as a hitter throughout his career. People can have off years but he has lost all hos power and now isn’t even hitting for average. The saving grace for him is that he’s become so strong behind the plate.

So you thought in the off season that Bo was gonna hit .200? You thought Kirk would be hitting under .200? You thought Springer would decline even sharper than he has in the past? People remain hopeful vlad figures out how to hit a ball in the air. Did you also predict Varsho to be leading the team in homeruns? Did you also know that our bullpen was gonna be bad? I’d love to see your posts stating those facts. We all wanted more bats in the off season. When the lost out on Ohtani it seemed like they had no other ideas. Kk made zero sense to bring back.

I can understand a virus affecting your performance, but I can’t really fathom the cold spell Turner is in. He’s not even OPSing his weight in the month of May.
He was the only bright spot for so long and he’s just joined the inability to hit within the team

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hopefully they end May like 12 games below .500 or something. That’ll force them to fire Atkins.
They just need to lose a bunch of these games against bad teams we have coming and their hands will be forced. If they pile on some wins it gives the illusion they are turning the page

Reactions: Cloned

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yes people are surprised by Kirk because it’s a sudden change in who he’s been as a hitter throughout his career. People can have off years but he has lost all hos power and now isn’t even hitting for average. The saving grace for him is that he’s become so strong behind the plate.

So you thought in the off season that Bo was gonna hit .200? You thought Kirk would be hitting under .200? You thought Springer would decline even sharper than he has in the past? People remain hopeful vlad figures out how to hit a ball in the air. Did you also predict Varsho to be leading the team in homeruns? Did you also know that our bullpen was gonna be bad? I’d love to see your posts stating those facts. We all wanted more bats in the off season. When the lost out on Ohtani it seemed like they had no other ideas. Kk made zero sense to bring back.

He was the only bright spot for so long and he’s just joined the inability to hit within the team
Yes to all of the bolded. Kirk sucked last year and it was obvious if he wasn't going to lose weight he'd continue to suck. He's hitting .188 in his last 30 games. Springer went a near record-breaking streak without a hit last season, you could see his decline coming. The only positive was that he was relatively healthy. Varsho has come to earth and he hasn't even hit to his career avg. of .227. Last 15 games he's hitting .155 with an SLG of 276 with only 1 home run.

Just admit, that Atkins put his misguided hope in a group that proved it was hopeless last season. A change was absolutely necessary, and not a 39 yr old Turner who has started playing like a 39 yr old.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He's fallen like an old tree for quite a while. Last 30 games BA .177, OPB .131, SLG .217

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How did a team like the Nationals do it in 2019? They were 21-31 at one point, they finished 93-69, and won the WS. I am not saying Jays will do it, but it's not impossible. Teams have dug out of worse holes before.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There's time left? I mean technically he's not 100% wrong but he speaks like there's 3 months left. The team is about 3 to 4 weeks from being unofficially eliminated if they keep playing like that, Mathematical elimination will come later in the season but there's not much time left to right the ship.

Well it takes time for a bad coaching to **** a player up. It's not like bad coaching would have an effect on him after 1-2 weeks ... /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad