Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Tue, May 7 | @ Phi | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Berrios vs Sanchez

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I agree, I thought it was the 2015 season where they were hovering around .500 all season until August and then after the trade deadline they got David Price and Tulowitzky and went deep into the playoffs, It's not over in May, It's not over until the fat lady sings.
It was.

They had great starts with Doc and Delgado into May then faded into oblivion.

They need to make a decision on Vlad and Bo sooner than later and then go from there.

If they want to re-tool, they have lots of interesting pieces they can move.

They can try Martinez, Horowitz and Barger on a regular basis, or they just decode the bullpen will be better than it has and the hitting will come.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is he being told by Atkins to be patient? Was Atkins responsible for pulling Berrios in the playoffs? Or are all these decisions by Schneider? With these guys you just don't know. In any case, it's pure incompetence and poor judgment by this blundering management.

I think they're keeping Springer in the leadoff because if he's moved he'll sulk. He did it last year for two weeks, marginally improved, and then was moved back. Another day of batting .200 in the leadoff for him. So nice to not see Kirk out there. He's hitting .205 with a .582 OPS. And slow as molasses on the basepaths. Can we stop playing Vogelbach and his .105 BA in 29 AB? He offers nothing. Also Biggio and his .205 BA. Smooth looking stroke, producing little this season.

Davis and Clement should be playing every day even if they go into a minor slump. Bichette will be ok. Guerrero looking better except for his still swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. Varsho only hitting .227 but 2nd in the order shows how poor this offence is.

Varsho’s been in a little bit of a cold spell (babip’d) but his discipline has not faltered. He still walks a ton, granted he struck out 3 times today but that BB/K is closer to 1 over the same stretch.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
My biggest issue with Schneider is his reluctance to move on from something that isn't working. I understand being patient - you can't just react to every short slump and hot streak - but we're almost a quarter of the way through the season and the team is falling apart. Yet Springer gets the leadoff spot every day no matter what despite looking awful, Schneider is in and out of the lineup (and usually in the bottom third) despite looking better and better, Clement is still just a utility player despite outperforming all the other infielders to this point...

It's just dumb. You've reached a point in the season where you need to turn things around in a hurry or the season will be lost and you're going to be fired. How can you be comfortable just continuing to do things the exact same way and waiting for them to change? Moving Bo down was a start, but took way too long and it wasn't nearly enough. He needs to start giving playing time (and lineup spots) to the guys who have earned it and stop deferring to the guys who earned it in previous years.
I would also add Jansen batting 6th or 7th. He's easily been their best hitter and overall he's an excellent hitter. He should be in the top 4 when he's playing. I would be tempted to have him DH as well when Kirk is catching.

Schneider's bullpen management this year hasn't been good as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad