Olympics: Olympic Boxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
It sucked to watch and sad to see Carini in tears, but what can you do? They allowed Khelif to compete so it is what it is. Same thing happening in 2016 Olympics in the 800m to Canada's Melissa Bishop. She finished 4th where the top 3 'women' won all the medals including Caster Semenya winning gold.

Reactions: BB79

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It sucked to watch and sad to see Carini in tears, but what can you do? They allowed Khelif to compete so it is what it is. Same thing happening in 2016 Olympics in the 800m to Canada's Melissa Bishop. She finished 4th where the top 3 'women' won all the medals including Caster Semenya winning gold.
This is sort of IOC's own making by not adopting the standards of the boxing federations. But calling these athletes "men" (in the other thread) just because of their naturally higher testosterone production is both ignorant and insulting.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008

Interesting situation. The IBA has no credibility, and there ought to be a more sophisticated method of sex determination than “look at the passport” that balances the athletes’ privacy with fairness.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It sucked to watch and sad to see Carini in tears, but what can you do?
Um, to raise an uproar? I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm "just a guy on the internet", but quite frankly I'm disgusted that so few high profile female athletes/ex-athletes (well, there's Martina Navratilova and...mmm?) are being vocal about this shit.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. Maybe someone has to die first, God forbid? I'm actually rather hoping that in one of the really big (non-martial art) sports like tennis, a some fairly mediocre male player suddenly decides that he's a woman, and WTA goes along with it, and then HE starts to dominate WOMEN's tennis, winning all the Grand Slam tournaments etc. Only then will people (both public and fellow athletes) truly wake up and see what stupid nonsense it is.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This is sort of IOC's own making by not adopting the standards of the boxing federations. But calling these athletes "men" (in the other thread) just because of their naturally higher testosterone production is both ignorant and insulting.
If you can't allow the likes of Khelif and Semenya to participate in Women's competitions at the Olympics, you're basically forcing them to go thru SRS if they want to participate (in the Men competitions, obviously).

I'm not saying there isn't any issues with them participating as Women, mind you.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Um, to raise an uproar? I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm "just a guy on the internet", but quite frankly I'm disgusted that so few high profile female athletes/ex-athletes (well, there's Martina Navratilova and...mmm?) are being vocal about this shit.

Unfortunately, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. Maybe someone has to die first, God forbid? I'm actually rather hoping that in one of the really big (non-martial art) sports like tennis, a some fairly mediocre male player suddenly decides that he's a woman, and WTA goes along with it, and then HE starts to dominate WOMEN's tennis, winning all the Grand Slam tournaments etc. Only then will people (both public and fellow athletes) truly wake up and see what stupid nonsense it is.
How is that in any way related to the Khelif situation?

Also, the WTA already has rules against this if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Hivemind

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

No one "decided that they're a woman", we're talking about women with DSD (or intersex traits) which is their innate condition.

Sure we could draw the line differently, but that only redefines natural advantages rather than eliminates them. For intersex women that would mean exclusion from most sports while certain women's sports would still be dominated by individuals with high testosterone production.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So this woman is vilified because her condition supposedly gives her magical advantages (despite the fact she competed in Tokyo and won precisely nothing) and yet Michael Phelps, who has quirks with his genetic makeup that gave him actual, honest to god advantages (less lactic acid production, double jointed to make kicks easier) isn't

make sense.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No one "decided that they're a woman", we're talking about women with DSD (or intersex traits) which is their innate condition.

Sure we could draw the line differently, but that only redefines natural advantages rather than eliminates them. For intersex women that would mean exclusion from most sports while certain women's sports would still be dominated by individuals with high testosterone production.
Yeah, I mean the Algerian boxer was literally abandoned by her father because she started boxing.

Also, should I post a picture of "Jarmo"?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I find it fascinating that a Muslim country like Algeria would be totally fine with fielding a Trans that has been beaten by women before.

Or...maybe she's not Trans and this is just more pearl clutching by the usual people? Can't wait to see what the next manufactured outrage is.
You mean a country that has harsh laws against "acts of homosexuality" wouldn't support a trans woman? Well, i never!

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I find it fascinating that a Muslim country like Algeria would be totally fine with fielding a Trans that has been beaten by women before.

Or...maybe she's not Trans and this is just more pearl clutching by the usual people? Can't wait to see what the next manufactured outrage is.
Some common sense? Holy effin crap!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CuuuJooo

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

1000019040.jpg

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

It's impossible.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
You mean a country that has harsh laws against "acts of homosexuality" wouldn't support a trans woman? Well, i never!
There are nine states in the US who refuse to repeal or rewrite laws targeting homosexual acts. They've had 21 years since the US Supreme Court ruled those kinds of state laws to be unconstitutional. Trans folks have no protection in most states in the US, and no federal protections. In fact, something like 778 anti-trans bills were introduced in states legislature between 2022 and 2023, with 113 of those bills passing into law. So far in 2024 over 600 bills have been introduced, and nearly 50 of those have passed into law. There are also a growing number of federal bills being introduced specifically aimed at trans people.

Canada is better, but they still have provinces that are high risk for passing anti-trans legislation and have politicians who are dangerous for trans people. Saskatchewan's premiere is openly hostile to trans youth, for example.

Algeria's laws punishing homosexual acts with a few years in prison are inhumane for sure, but you don't have to be in a Muslim country to be in serious dangerous as a trans person.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

She's not trans. Calm your inner Elon And JK Rowling mate.

Neither identify as Trans and are female on their passports and otherwise. Maybe actually read up on the issue first before you go full herd.
Some people are born with differences in sexual development, or DSD, where chromosomes don’t fully correspond with the external genitals. For example, some people are born with one X and one Y chromosome in each cell, a condition known as 46, XY that results in much higher levels of testosterone compared to most female athletes.
In guidelines issued ahead of the Paris Games, the IOC urged media to avoid terms like “biological male,” “born male” or “born female” because these phrases “can be dehumanizing and inaccurate when used to describe transgender sportspeople and athletes with sex variations. A person’s sex category is not assigned based on genetics alone,” the “Portrayal Guidelines” read, “and aspects of a person’s biology can be altered when they pursue gender-affirming medical care.”

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
So this woman is vilified because her condition supposedly gives her magical advantages (despite the fact she competed in Tokyo and won precisely nothing) and yet Michael Phelps, who has quirks with his genetic makeup that gave him actual, honest to god advantages (less lactic acid production, double jointed to make kicks easier) isn't

make sense.

"This dude is more flexible than other guys" vs "Woman-man hybrid fighting woman"

You thought that was a good comparison?

The fact that she's lost to other pure woman doesn't mean a damn thing in tems of even playing field. If anything it means she lost even with a likely unfair advantage

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
"This dude is more flexible than other guys" vs "Woman-man hybrid fighting woman"

You thought that was a good comparison?

The fact that she's lost to other pure woman doesn't mean a damn thing in tems of even playing field. If anything it means she lost even with a likely unfair advantage
One is a legitimate advantage, the other is a falsehood made up by the likes of you so you have something to get mad at to feel better about your shitty standing in life.

If she's a hybrid like you claim, then why did she lose in Tokyo? Why did she lose in the 2022 world championships? With the woman she lost to in the final coming out and saying she doesn't think she's cheating and point to the fact she's lost to 8 other women in her career? By your logic she's this unbeatable T-1000 because of her disorder.
Xenophobia is cool, I guess on HF.
Nothing xenophobic about pointing out a country with regressive, backwards laws.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
One is a legitimate advantage, the other is a falsehood made up by the likes of you so you have something to get mad at to feel better about your shitty standing in life.

If she's a hybrid like you claim, then why did she lose in Tokyo? Why did she lose in the 2022 world championships? With the woman she lost to in the final coming out and saying she doesn't think she's cheating and point to the fact she's lost to 8 other women in her career? By your logic she's this unbeatable T-1000 because of her disorder.

Nothing xenophobic about pointing out a country with regressive, backwards laws. I'm sure you don't do this on a regular bases to those damn dirty libruls.
Well this is an absolute yikes.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Nothing xenophobic about pointing out a country with regressive, backwards laws. I'm sure you don't do this on a regular bases to those damn dirty libruls.

Again, this doesn't mean they don't have an unfair advantage, it can mean they lost even despite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium