OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frostage

May 23, 2014
For those that watched the game, did Canada defend all of the free kicks with such a high line that I saw on the highlights?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Considering the fact the Canadians have a new coach; and limited time for training, I thought they looked fine against one of the best countries in the world.

Next up is France, who are rated at 6th in the World; followed by defending World Cup champs Argentina. Almost impossible to overstate the importance of these games to the Canadian program.

Probably the three toughest tests in the history of the program in Canada. Bring it on!
Let's hope these friendlies are a positive harbinger of the development of soccer in Canada. If the MNT doesn't advance beyond the group stages of the 2026 World Cup, that probably permanently relegates soccer to the fringes of the Canadian sports scene.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
For those that watched the game, did Canada defend all of the free kicks with such a high line that I saw on the highlights?

Defend you say?

Capture.jpg

Reactions: Frostage

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I remember going to see him and he didn't. Maybe he played a different game though
He definitely played here in 2007. Like 75 minutes on pitch. I had a few work mates that attended and were satisfied with the experience. It sucks that you weren't able to say the same.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Anyone shocked that Messi didn't play shouldn't have been. We didn't get to see Rooney, Beckham, Henry, Ibra, Kaka, Lampard, Drogba ect... No big European stars play on turf and/or Vancouver.
This is not true. Beckham, Rooney, Ibrahimović and Lampard all absolutely did. Plenty of “stars” do play on turf.

Edit: In fact both Lampard and Zlatan scored in BC Place, and this reminded me of this weird bit of foreshadowing:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Massive result. Other than qualifying for the WC, this is probably the most significant result in Canada's history.
I'm still taking the win at Azteca, though you might consider that "qualifying for the WC."

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
I'm still taking the win at Azteca, though you might consider that "qualifying for the WC."
We drew at Azteca, won at Ice-teca (both massive results), but no W at Azteca yet!

Have to agree with post above this is one of the biggest results in national team history. The fact we not only tied France, but did it on their soil, and while not parking the bus either feels kind of improbable.

Crepeau’s our #1 now, and with our tactics looking more complete we have a decent chance to exit the group stage if we can find our finish in the final third again.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
We drew at Azteca, won at Ice-teca (both massive results), but no W at Azteca yet!

Have to agree with post above this is one of the biggest results in national team history. The fact we not only tied France, but did it on their soil, and while not parking the bus either feels kind of improbable.

Crepeau’s our #1 now, and with our tactics looking more complete we have a decent chance to exit the group stage if we can find our finish in the final third again.
Was I imagining it? I was sure it happened the day after my date with Monica Bellucci.

Even with the important correction, I'd make the same claim. That draw Azteca was a very big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Was I imagining it? I was sure it happened the day after my date with Monica Bellucci.

Even with the important correction, I'd make the same claim. That draw Azteca was a very big deal.
It absolutely was. We were unlucky not to get 3 points that night and I think that’sa lot of what made that match special!

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A stellar effort from Maxime Crepeau in goal......sort of a sad day when he left the Whitecaps.....but definitely Canada's 'go-to' goalie now.

This nil-nil result with France has to be a big boost as they get set for perhaps their toughest test in Canadian soccer history--a head-to-head matchup with Messi and Argentina.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
Hey can anyone hook me up with a stream for the Germany - Scotland game? It's been a while since I've streamed anything so I'm out of the loop.

Thanks!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Good response from the Italian team from that opening minute blunder.

Heck of a game this morning from Netherlands-Poland.
Netherlands have looked like one of the better teams so far. Germany 2nd most impressive. That Italy vs Spain matchup should be really fun to watch.

Once again, England gets an easy draw and path to the QF.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Netherlands have looked like one of the better teams so far. Germany 2nd most impressive. That Italy vs Spain matchup should be really fun to watch.

Once again, England gets an easy draw and path to the QF.

England looked like crap. They will fold when faced with a quality opponent. That backline is sus.

First upset of the Euros, Slovakia beats Belgium. The "golden generation" is so done.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
England looked like crap. They will fold when faced with a quality opponent. That backline is sus.

First upset of the Euros, Slovakia beats Belgium. The "golden generation" is so done.

Belgium sucked once Kompany and Hazard dropped off a cliff.

France didn't look too spectacular today. It feels like the door is wide open for some random team to win it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad