Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ugh.

Was afraid it'd be an eyesore, like most of the other "city connect" jerseys, and sure enough, there it is.

At least they won't wear them TOO frequently.....one would hope, anyway.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
You know who I really feel bad for.......Dan Shulman. I remember when he signed to do our play by play he was so excited because he thought they had a great chance at the World Series. Look what he had to endure. Underachieving despite barely sneaking into the WC. I really think he signed because of that. Oh well.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
This is the outfield the Blue Jays apparently believe in: George Springer (.188) in right. Daulton Varsho (.208) in left. Kevin Kiermaier (.226) in centre. All of them great defenders. The expansion outfield of 1977 with the 54-win Blue Jays, with Gary Woods (.216) in centre, Otto Velez (.256) in right and Alvis Woods (.284) in left, hit better than this. They weren’t great in the field but they hit better than this bunch …

• Haha
Reactions: trellaine201

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
This is the outfield the Blue Jays apparently believe in: George Springer (.188) in right. Daulton Varsho (.208) in left. Kevin Kiermaier (.226) in centre. All of them great defenders. The expansion outfield of 1977 with the 54-win Blue Jays, with Gary Woods (.216) in centre, Otto Velez (.256) in right and Alvis Woods (.284) in left, hit better than this. They weren’t great in the field but they hit better than this bunch …
You can’t compare batting avg. from the 70s and 80s to todays game. It’s a different game now. Just like how hockey players used to routinely get 100+ points a year in the 80s

But yeah I agree with the sentiment that this current 2024 team is about as likely to win as the expansion team.

Last edited:

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Eh, its not horrible. Like what else could it have been. I knew it was gonna be the city skyline.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't blame the Jays for those jerseys sucking. The City Connect line so uniformly (heh) sucks that there clearly has to be some outside pressure or voice that's leaning on every team that's getting them. There's no other way that they could be so awful regardless of team.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Wow, Angel Hernandez is done terrorizing baseball!

Now if maybe CB Buckner would follow suit.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Those jerseys are mainly for kids, right? I think kids like all those colours and shit. I'd dig it as a kid.

Reactions: Discoverer

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don't blame the Jays for those jerseys sucking. The City Connect line so uniformly (heh) sucks that there clearly has to be some outside pressure or voice that's leaning on every team that's getting them. There's no other way that they could be so awful regardless of team.
The entire concept of leaning hard into the "city" and forcing it down the throat of the team that doesn't represent a city is garbage.

If those Jerseys said "The 6", "The North" or even Canada, that would be an infinitely better starting point.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Despite the Leafs not being good, I can at least watch them and know I'm going to be entertained.

Far too often, the Jays are depressing and boring to watch.

What a miserable season so far. They just aren't a good ball club, or one that's enjoyable to watch.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Despite the Leafs not being good, I can at least watch them and know I'm going to be entertained.

Far too often, the Jays are depressing and boring to watch.

What a miserable season so far. They just aren't a good ball club, or one that's enjoyable to watch.
Baseball needs offense to be entertaining. When the offense is lacking especially home runs, baseball isn't entertaining, because its not a back and forth sport.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not interested in another rebuild, and more crap years like 2017-2020. It chafes my ass that fans in NYC never have to "suffer" through rebuilding years. We might have to "suffer" more crap years? No, you have to get the right management group in here that can get good assets for the Vladdys and Bichettes of the world so you can open another championship window starting 2025. This is bullshit. It would suck going into a few more years of suck without at least one deep playoff run with the previous core.

I was ok with 2017-2020 because at least we saw back-to-back ALCS appearances.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Baseball needs offense to be entertaining. When the offense is lacking especially home runs, baseball isn't entertaining, because its not a back and forth sport.
Feels more pronounced now because we aren't too far removed from this team being offensively very fun to watch.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I am not interested in another rebuild, and more crap years like 2017-2020. It chafes my ass that fans in NYC never have to "suffer" through rebuilding years. We might have to "suffer" more crap years? No, you have to get the right management group in here that can get good assets for the Vladdys and Bichettes of the world so you can open another championship window starting 2025. This is bullshit. It would suck going into a few more years of suck without at least one deep playoff run with the previous core.

I was ok with 2017-2020 because at least we saw back-to-back ALCS appearances.

On the flip side, the Yanks are 0-5 in ALCS’s since 2010. Part of their issue is that they can never rebuild. They have 185m committed to 6 players in 2025. Soto will command 40m+, they have other FAs like Torres, Holmes, Verdugo, arb increases to Cortes, Trevino, Schmidt, and their owner doesn’t want to empty the pockets like dad did.

We’ve seen teams successfully go through the rebuild since the Yanks last won in ‘09 like the Giants, Royals, Cubs, Astros, Nats, Braves, Rangers. Even other teams like the Phillies, Rays, and DBacks rebuilt and made it to the WS more recently than the Yanks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad