Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If he can develop an offensive game...at least somewhat of an offensive game, it changes a lot in my opinion.

I'm watching clips his skating now and he joins the rush effectively, you would think that would lead to offense?

Watching his gaps with his stick always on or near the puck and just eating up attackers is extremely impressive for a player of his age.

There has to be untapped offensive potential with his skating ability? No defender moves that well and doesn't contribute.

Just a thought.

I think you might have me on silent mode :laugh: but to add to this...

40 or more points has only be achieved 30 times in NJ Devil history... that's pretty wild. Take away Niedermayer, Stevens, Driver and Rafalski's seasons and 40 points is a rarity in NJ
Also he's not going to be on the power play because of luke and nemec. Hitting 40 points almost exclusively even strength would be ridiculous offensive production.

For context, just 8 dmen reached 40 even strength points this year.

Dougie hamilton has reached 40 even strength points just once in his career (22-23).

Since 2007, Just 29 dmen have reached 40 even strength points.
Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 11.45.14 AM.png

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Also he's not going to be on the power play because of luke and nemec. Hitting 40 points almost exclusively even strength would be ridiculous offensive production.

For context, just 8 dmen reached 40 even strength points this year.

Dougie hamilton has reached 40 even strength points just once in his career (22-23).

Since 2007, Just 29 dmen have reached 40 even strength points.
View attachment 892246
Wait doesnt that chart say 7 (which is crazier)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Wait doesnt that chart say 7 (which is crazier)
Makar, Josi, Quinn, Morrissey, Dobson, Werenski (SO UNDERRATED), Toews, Bouchard.

I was also shocked to see Marcus Pettersson that high, even knowing he was already a stud. He's going to be the best rental dman available this season.

Also a lot of the "defensive dmen" among the top guys are just guys who aren't PPQBs.

Slavin has fantastic scoring for a dmen, but he's just not on the PP

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It's not the right approach if Silayev doesn't turn into an impact player.

Freshman NCAA defensemen who perform at Buium's level almost always become impact defensemen, many being high, high-end. I rated him in the 2nd tier of prospects with Demidov (1st tier being Celebrini). That's just a different level of player that, IMO, warrants the overkill in skillets. Trade your way out of it with the others, like Casey, who simply will not have a place on the roster as it is.

I don't view Buium as a purely offensive guy either. He's very strong defensively (much stronger IMO), relative to the non-Silayev defensemen in the draft. Was on the primary matchup pair and #1 PK for the NCAA championship winning team.

Again, like I said, I don't mind the pick. Silayev fills a big need and I still had him rated top-10 (and above like Dickinson and Yakemchuk). I just think Buium is a different tier of player. If Buium were already off the board, my view of this pick would be a home run.
I think NHL teams are more weary of collage players. I think Cutter and Rutger have a direct impact on Zeev. Zeev even shares a manager with Cutter.

What if Zeev is a better player, but leaves for another team. I also think Silayev has a higher ceiling.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think NHL teams are more weary of collage players. I think Cutter and Rutger have a direct impact on Zeev. Zeev even shares a manager with Cutter.

What if Zeev is a better player, but leaves for another team. I also think Silayev has a higher ceiling.
1. I don't think Fitz has shown a hesitancy with college players. They drafted Casey, Cheslock, and Leddy in recent seasons.

2. What if Silayev delays his move to NA? Maybe he likes being a full-time pro in the KHL already.

3. I've been pretty clear on my tiering of Buium. Fundamentally disagree here.

Reactions: Darkauron

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1. I don't think Fitz has shown a hesitancy with college players. They drafted Casey, Cheslock, and Leddy in recent seasons.

2. What if Silayev delays his move to NA? Maybe he likes being a full-time pro in the KHL already.

3. I've been pretty clear on my tiering of Buium. Fundamentally disagree here.
1. May be he should start to think about it more.
2. More NCAA players delays than Russians now.
3. May be he started to think about it more.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
High end college D tend to not stay the full 4 years of college. Zeev wouldnt be a worry but college players in the 2nd round +, yeah it can be a concern.

I'm rooting for Silayev even though I wanted Zeev over him and think he is the better sure bet. But still a long ways before we see the outcome

Reactions: My3Sons and bossram

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
1. May be he should start to think about it more.
2. More NCAA players delays than Russians now.
3. May be he started to think about it more.
I think the college versus Russian player pool offer different advantages and weaknesses. For college the prospect is obviously much closer geographically and unless he’s willing to delay a pro career until he is about 23-24 he has no real alternative but to sign with the team that drafted him if he wants to play pro. Maybe a European player could play in a European league but why would such a player have come to a US college in the first place so I’m not thinking that’s a great outcome for such a player. In contrast the Russian player has a viable KHL alternative and maybe doesn’t offer any ELC bump to an NHL team. In contrast the drafting team holds those rights indefinitely and the Russian player develops in a very competitive environment at no cost to the NHL team. Beyond that at least some NHL team still seem to have some scouting limitations and a smart NHL team can find some good late round prospects in Russia. NJ has benefited from this. To me I’m investing those late round picks in high upside Russian players. I’ll put a first through third round pick into a US college player but I doubt I’d go any lower. If your college player takes four years to develop it’s too easy to lose him.

Reactions: Darkauron

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Yeah but we have seen, where now two first rounders are trying to use the college rules as leverage.

It seemed all it took was disagreements on their development path.

If your drafted defenseman has a clear path it might not be a problem. But there is a significant chance the Devils wouldn’t get the best version of Zeev with Nemec and Hughes.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think the college versus Russian player pool offer different advantages and weaknesses. For college the prospect is obviously much closer geographically and unless he’s willing to delay a pro career until he is about 23-24 he has no real alternative but to sign with the team that drafted him if he wants to play pro. Maybe a European player could play in a European league but why would such a player have come to a US college in the first place so I’m not thinking that’s a great outcome for such a player. In contrast the Russian player has a viable KHL alternative and maybe doesn’t offer any ELC bump to an NHL team. In contrast the drafting team holds those rights indefinitely and the Russian player develops in a very competitive environment at no cost to the NHL team. Beyond that at least some NHL team still seem to have some scouting limitations and a smart NHL team can find some good late round prospects in Russia. NJ has benefited from this. To me I’m investing those late round picks in high upside Russian players. I’ll put a first through third round pick into a US college player but I doubt I’d go any lower. If your college player takes four years to develop it’s too easy to lose him.
I think better strategy is drafting better talents. Of course you will find some MHL talents in late round but you can find better talents in 2-3 rounds. But of course if you have Casey on the tanle - draft him. For me its more about drafting CHLers. I would say not drafting. Environment isnt great and competitive - works well only for younger players. Rules are soft.
Drafting russians are helping to build bigger prospect pool. You can not sign them and still have rights. Drafting NCAA players helping to develop better players than CHLers, they are playing in better environment right from the start, they have option to play in college in the third year.

And mostly good CHLers are not available in the third round or later. So mostly I want more talented players.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think better strategy is drafting better talents. Of course you will find some MHL talents in late round but you can find better talents in 2-3 rounds. But of course if you have Casey on the tanle - draft him. For me its more about drafting CHLers. I would say not drafting. Environment isnt great and competitive - works well only for younger players. Rules are soft.
Drafting russians are helping to build bigger prospect pool. You can not sign them and still have rights. Drafting NCAA players helping to develop better players than CHLers, they are playing in better environment right from the start, they have option to play in college in the third year.

And mostly good CHLers are not available in the third round or later. So mostly I want more talented players.
Talent is a bit subjective . You are trying to project these teenagers and see at least three years into the future. Maybe you get lucky and hit on a Bratt but my guess is that most late round guys who make it are probably closer to 24-25 before they are ready for real NHL duty. I’m just thinking of a method to maximize the outcomes for these kids. It’s hard to know by pick 100 who is truly going to be more of a pro prospect in four years. I agree CHL is only a two year window and to me NCAA is a three year window. MHL/VHL/KHL players give thr longest curve and if they seem projectable are good late pick investments to me at least. Ultimately yeah you have your list and hope it works. To me these are small tiebreakers

Reactions: Guadana

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
High end college D tend to not stay the full 4 years of college. Zeev wouldnt be a worry but college players in the 2nd round +, yeah it can be a concern.

I'm rooting for Silayev even though I wanted Zeev over him and think he is the better sure bet. But still a long ways before we see the outcome
Even if true about Zeev, Silayev brings an element we (and most teams) lack and thats a higher-end defensive defenseman; plus its one with great size who actually uses it

Even if Zeev ends up the better player or asset.. I think Silayev fits better and, if he peaks as a top-pair defensive defenseman, was the best possible outcome for us

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Talent is a bit subjective . You are trying to project these teenagers and see at least three years into the future. Maybe you get lucky and hit on a Bratt but my guess is that most late round guys who make it are probably closer to 24-25 before they are ready for real NHL duty. I’m just thinking of a method to maximize the outcomes for these kids. It’s hard to know by pick 100 who is truly going to be more of a pro prospect in four years. I agree CHL is only a two year window and to me NCAA is a three year window. MHL/VHL/KHL players give thr longest curve and if they seem projectable are good late pick investments to me at least. Ultimately yeah you have your list and hope it works. To me these are small tiebreakers
Сant agree about subjectives of talent. If players is showing iq and creativity - he has at least some talent. Of course some simple guys will find their way in NHL, but they are cheap on the market. Smart players who will find their way to nhl - they are not so cheap.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Сant agree about subjectives of talent. If players is showing iq and creativity - he has at least some talent. Of course some simple guys will find their way in NHL, but they are cheap on the market. Smart players who will find their way to nhl - they are not so cheap.
True but kids grow and develop differently. 17-18 is not a finished product as you know

Reactions: Guadana and Nubmer6

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Something that is often lost and that we’ve seen before with Will Butcher, the top defense in the NCAA doesn’t mean it is transferable against pro players who are bigger faster and stronger. The same goes for the CHL, and we’ve seen it with Ty Smith. I think showing an excellent defensive game in a pro league is much more transferable.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Something that is often lost and that we’ve seen before with Will Butcher, the top defense in the NCAA doesn’t mean it is transferable against pro players who are bigger faster and stronger. The same goes for the CHL, and we’ve seen it with Ty Smith. I think showing an excellent defensive game in a pro league is much more transferable.

I mean sure, but Buium was doing it as a ~18 year old against mostly older players. I'm fine with Silayev, I think drafting Buium will make for some difficult decisions later, and if he's pick 10 in the draft, no matter what he does in college he's still not likely to have teams fawning over him when he comes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad