2024 preseason (camp, media stuff)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
So based on practice, we're going:

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
Goodrow-Wennberg-Kunin
Grundstrom-Dellandrea-Kostin

Walman-Ceci
Thrun-Benning
Ferraro-Rutta

While I like loading up the top-6 and using the third line as a hard-minutes matchup line, 1) poor, poor Wennberg, 2) RIP Gushchin :(, 3) no Sturm?
Man, it's such a logjam.
  • I have to believe Sturm continues to be the 4C. So this means one of Grundstrom, Dellandrea, Kostin, (less likely) Goody/Kunin are getting scratched until/unless injury.
  • Then we add 1 more roster fwd - G. Smith, and then Vlasic.
  • So Cardwell, Gushchin, RIP Bords, Mukh, Thompson, maybe Cagnoni (I'm not up on the AHL roster battles) are in the AHL hoping for callups.
  • Off chance that Grier moves one of these logjam fwds for a depth RD or a pick, giving the kids one roster spot sooner til callup.
  • Sidenote, up-and-down lineup wingers will be Kostin and Grundstrom; Smith could get demoted to 3C and Wennberg plays 2C or 2W with Granlund at C; no matter what, our 3rd line is actually a good 4th line but a bad 3rd line... unless Kunin and Goodrow surpass expectations. They'll grind hard though.
  • D is now a mid-to-weak 2nd pair as the 1st pair, and two third pairs. better than last year but not by much, and thin behind that.

Reactions: vortexy and Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think Goodrow will surpass expectations. With the exception of last season he has been a consistent 30 point scorer since leaving the Sharks. If Warsofsky gives him consistent 3rd line minutes with a playmaker like Wennberg or Smith he should be able to pot 10 goals and 15-20 assists.

Also Sturm to LA just makes too much sense especially now that they might have some room to add cap through LTIR.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Man, it's such a logjam.
  • I have to believe Sturm continues to be the 4C. So this means one of Grundstrom, Dellandrea, Kostin, (less likely) Goody/Kunin are getting scratched until/unless injury.
  • Then we add 1 more roster fwd - G. Smith, and then Vlasic.
  • So Cardwell, Gushchin, RIP Bords, Mukh, Thompson, maybe Cagnoni (I'm not up on the AHL roster battles) are in the AHL hoping for callups.
  • Off chance that Grier moves one of these logjam fwds for a depth RD or a pick, giving the kids one roster spot sooner til callup.
  • Sidenote, up-and-down lineup wingers will be Kostin and Grundstrom; Smith could get demoted to 3C and Wennberg plays 2C or 2W with Granlund at C; no matter what, our 3rd line is actually a good 4th line but a bad 3rd line... unless Kunin and Goodrow surpass expectations. They'll grind hard though.
  • D is now a mid-to-weak 2nd pair as the 1st pair, and two third pairs. better than last year but not by much, and thin behind that.
Based on camp, I have liked Sturm and Grundstrom far more than Dellandrea and Kunin. I just have a hard time seeing Kunin being a regular scratch given that he's got an A on his jersey. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Givanni Smith in the lineup somewhat regularly to "protect" Mack and Will against certain teams. It's just weird how we have like 16 forwards that will presumably start in the NHL. There are six guys who are clear-cut every-nighters (Celebrini, Toffoli, Eklund, Granlund, Zetterlund, and Wennberg), W. Smith who might sit out occasionally but who would be a clear-cut scoring line player when he's in, and then like a gazillion random bottom-sixers who I assume will rotate in and out? I really don't know what to make of the Grundstrom/Goodrow/Kunin/Sturm/Dellandrea/G. Smith/Kostin/etc. group.

I still think Justin Barron is a good target from Montreal. If Laine is out long-term, a Barron-Bordeleau swap makes a lot of sense for both teams. If nothing changes, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jack Thompson start as the #7D until Vlasic and/or Mukhamadullin is healthy enough to play.

At any rate, I'll definitely take the "one bad middle pairing, two solid bottom pairings" setup we have going on this season over the "six #7D and Mario Ferraro" setup from last year.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I think Goodrow will surpass expectations. With the exception of last season he has been a consistent 30 point scorer since leaving the Sharks. If Warsofsky gives him consistent 3rd line minutes with a playmaker like Wennberg or Smith he should be able to pot 10 goals and 15-20 assists.

Also Sturm to LA just makes too much sense especially now that they might have some room to add cap through LTIR.

I have always been a Goodrow fan, but I am not expecting much from him in terms of production. He is a role player. His job is to build a culture for these young guys, stabilize the PK and make sure no one is head hunting the kids. We aren't aiming for a playoff spot.

Goodrow is gonna do exactly what he needs to do, it's what he has always done. Points are 100% secondary value for what he brings to the team.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Gushchin is on Sturm’s line… but with Cardwell. I’d rather he get a chance with Wennberg.

But man I think we’ve got two vets too many.

Agree. I wonder if Grier did this to make camp more competitive, and then, is going to be willing to make some moves before the TDL to make space for folks who (in my view) deserve a shot, like Goose?

Reactions: Jargon

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’d try

Gushchin - Wennberg - Kostin
Goodrow - Sturm - Dellandrea
Kunin/Gundstrom

That feels the most optimal to me and that third line can actually score. But will they sit Kunin, the best player (in the coach’s hearts) on the team?!
Which line is taking defensive matchups in this scenario? Cuz I know it's not one with Gushchin and Kostin on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad