Podcast (Audio) 2024 Playoff Blog, Video and Podcast Thread

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This video on zone entries (Bos/Tor) is quite interesting....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The ending of this video is actually pretty funny.
I also like that he puts the blame on the Pasta goal on Marner (where it should be) and not Samsonov (where Kelly Hrudy thinks it should be).

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stauffer on Spittin Chiclets.

So I have cued up the podcast right at the Oilers segment....

The biggest hurdles for the Oilers in this series IMO is the size of the Canucks defence and that they are a much more dangerous team offensively than the Kings were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morpheus

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Luc Gazdics thoughts on the Oilers implosion in game 1....

Gazdic is right. To me the first thing that pops into my mind is a complete lack of leadership to have the mentality of not giving a shit after you’re up 4-1. Where was Knoblauch as well? Total no show from him, the guys with letters and the vets. McDrai era has been a bunch of pretenders

Do these guys need to be reminded that the dogface Tocchet had his top unit on the PP up 6-1 in the first game (edit: of the season)?

Reactions: Skar

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gazdic is right. To me the first thing that pops into my mind is a complete lack of leadership to have the mentality of not giving a shit after you’re up 4-1. Where was Knoblauch as well? Total no show from him, the guys with letters and the vets. McDrai era has been a bunch of pretenders

Do these guys need to be reminded that the dogface Tocchet had his top unit on the PP up 6-1 in the first game?
Tough to argue with any of this.

I want to see what happens in game 2 before going to far down the leadership rabbit hole but I do think that anyone who watched last nights game is totally justifyed for questioning the leadership on this team.
Its a narrative we have seen before as well.
Is this team and its leadership group mentally tough enough to win when it counts?
Its a good question.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Tough to argue with any of this.

I want to see what happens in game 2 before going to far down the leadership rabbit hole but I do think that anyone who watched last nights game is totally justifyed for questioning the leadership on this team.
Its a narrative we have seen before as well.
Is this team and its leadership group mentally tough enough to win when it counts?
Its a good question.

The team has holes, the 2nd pairing is a problem and has been the last 3 playoffs. They could use another top 9 player (most teams could...and to be fair they are missing one to injury right now). That said, worse teams (on paper), IMO, have had more consistent playoff success. And yes, it's a 'team' sport, but they have three of the best forwards in the league this season, one of the best top pairings in the league, and some solid depth.

The coach has the tools to try to change the 2nd pairing and can better utilize the good depth of forwards he has. Last game in particular, no timeout when they tied it up and the team had played like shit for 30 minutes before? What reasonable explanation is there for that? We saw the Bruins score a goal the other night after losing a bit of a grip on game 1 and then putting it away with that goal. But the guys wearing letters also need to rally the team. McDavid looked almost disinterested last night. Nurse is a liability and should be nowhere near a letter.

I think an understated part of the issue with this team is that they are "too nice" when it comes to personnel decisions. Are they afraid of upsetting the core? They apparently vouched for and liked Ceci....I mean, who the f*** cares? This is your job, not some street hockey team after school.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Cult of Hockey Article.
Posting this because some posters (myself included) appreciate their takes.

I agree with all 5 moves suggested in this writeup.....

How can Edmonton Oilers rebound after that cosmic stinker?

I especially agree with this.....

So far in the playoffs, Cody Ceci and Darnell Nurse have respectively played 18:13 and 18:02 minutes per game at even strength, while Vincent Desharnais and Brett Kulak have played 14:30 and 14:24 respectively. At this point, I’d even that up. Nurse, especially, has been struggling a bit, while Kulak has played excellent hockey. A bit more Kulak and a bit less Nurse for the time being would help the Oilers, no?

All due respect to those who think Ceci and Nurse have been getting the job done well in the 2024 playoffs, I’m not seeing it. By my eyes, and by my count of the mistakes they’ve made on Grade A shots against, the two Oilers have been struggling somewhat, especially Nurse, leaking too many Grade A shots against.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016

This is a good one. You can see Tocchet has got buy in from his guys, and they are hitting top to bottom.

Our guys have clearly not been prioritizing hitting. McLeod especially has chances to bury guys but decides to either fly by or stop up before contact. 1 or 2 hits by Nurse in the last 4-5 games is embarrassing. Need more intensity from coaching on down.

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad