Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
He's only played for 3 teams? And i don't recall the first 2 not wanting him??
PLD quit on them and then whined his way out of town. Now LA doesn't want him on the ice.

If he'd play like he did in the bubble in Toronto he'd be invaluable. Instead you get a floaty or worse disengaged player that feels entitled to more.

He's an automatic do not touch.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
PLD quit on them and then whined his way out of town. Now LA doesn't want him on the ice.

If he'd play like he did in the bubble in Toronto he'd be invaluable. Instead you get a floaty or worse disengaged player that feels entitled to more.

He's an automatic do not touch.
No argument but the other 2 teams wanted to keep him. I would not trade or sign that player.

Reactions: Jakey53

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
And i don't recall the first 2 not wanting him??

Fair enough. There's more to it than simply not wanting him. I could've used better wording.

Do you think Columbus still wanted him after he made it clear he didn't want to be there and started to play like he didn't want to be there any more though? Doesn't that count?

I'd think that if Winnipeg really wanted to keep PLD (and if PLD also wanted to stay in WPG) they'd have worked out an extension. Instead he wanted to move on, again, so he was sent to LA where he immediately signed an 8 year, $69M contract that LA just publicly stated they won't be buying out because year one didn't work out so well.

That all says "buyer beware" to me. I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending assets on a player like him. Especially not in the middle of a rebuild. From what I understand he's told 2 out of the 3 teams he's played for that he wants to play somewhere else (and he hasn't been with the third team long enough to know if it becomes 3 out of 3) but there's a pattern here.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fair enough. There's more to it than simply not wanting him. I could've used better wording.

Do you think Columbus still wanted him after he made it clear he didn't want to be there and started to play like he didn't want to be there any more though? Doesn't that count?

I'd think that if Winnipeg really wanted to keep PLD (and if PLD also wanted to stay in WPG) they'd have worked out an extension. Instead he wanted to move on, again, so he was sent to LA where he immediately signed an 8 year, $69M contract that LA just publicly stated they won't be buying out because year one didn't work out so well.

That all says "buyer beware" to me. I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending assets on a player like him. Especially not in the middle of a rebuild. From what I understand he's told 2 out of the 3 teams he's played for that he wants to play somewhere else (and he hasn't been with the third team long enough to know if it becomes 3 out of 3) but there's a pattern here.
He wanted out of both, of course they wanted him gone once his act showed up. But they both wanted him on their team. I would never want him on my team, fool me once!!!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
No argument but the other 2 teams wanted to keep him. I would not trade or sign that player.
When he played well yes. And when they thought they could get him to commit to hockey.

After his shenanigans? No. He was out of Columbus fast. I don't think they wanted him at that point.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We don’t need to blow our budget on someone who can win a face off. Just find the next Joe Vitale in free agency.
Wed have one, but he is currently being utilized or thought of on these boards as our 1C.:laugh:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I have to give you guys who are still interested in the team's make up and the draft, I just can't get into it. I'll follow the team, likely watch every game, but it just doesn't feel like my team enough to really give a shit..... maybe I'll come around, really not looking forward to sitting in my chair watching every game, listening to idiot announcers on the puking tv!

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Marco Rossi, Middleton, 13th OA
for
6th OA, Soderstrom
(Doubt we trade the 6th except to move up and that is unlikely. Just me thinking about roster building and still drafting Yakemchuk.)

Vejmelka ( keeps waiver-exempt Wolf down on the Wranglers).
for
Kevin Bahl (in a 3-way) with Markstrom going to NJ

Sign Kahkonan

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
When he played well yes. And when they thought they could get him to commit to hockey.

After his shenanigans? No. He was out of Columbus fast. I don't think they wanted him at that point.
No shit, when he forced them to trade him they wanted to trade him??

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Remember hearing Owen Power's name a bit. With Byram in Buffalo now, I'm curious if a team could pry him out before that big new contract kicks in. A million more than I'd want to pay but Powers could be a great piece to this blueline both now and later, adds more mobile size to the blue line right away as opposed to waiting like you would for Silayev.

I'd imagine Crouse is the first name in an offer though.

Go into next season with a futures D-core based around...

Powers/Durzi
Buium/Simashev
Moser/?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As much heat as Schmaltz gets for his tendency to float half the season, I am about near as frustrated with Crouse with his refusal (?) to play to his size. He has all the qualities of a power forward but doesn't seem to have that jam, or want to use it at least. Imagine if Crouse with his size played like Sam Bennett. He'd be trucking guys. I want to keep Crouse, because I still think that potential is a bit untapped, but I am getting more open to the idea of moving him.

Buium seems too small for an Armstrong defenceman.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
As much heat as Schmaltz gets for his tendency to float half the season, I am about near as frustrated with Crouse with his refusal (?) to play to his size. He has all the qualities of a power forward but doesn't seem to have that jam, or want to use it at least. Imagine if Crouse with his size played like Sam Bennett. He'd be trucking guys. I want to keep Crouse, because I still think that potential is a bit untapped, but I am getting more open to the idea of moving him.

Buium seems too small for an Armstrong defenceman.
Crouse had more hits (175) than Bennett (173). Crouse just doesn't get the same attention because he is not dirty.

Crouse was one of the best forwards in the league in December & January and was a key reason the Coyotes were flirting with the playoffs early. Also, he disappeared during the losing streak and was a key reason for that too. He is entering his peak age, is on a market level contract and, unless he fetches an amazing return, there is no reason to move on from him.

Goals in December 2023:
  • Crouse - 10
  • Matthews - 7
  • McDavid - 5
  • MacKinnon - 4

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Just for giggles...

1716908491521.png

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
To clarify, I like Crouse. But he needs to play with more edge. Someone should insult him before every game.
Agree. The whole team just laid down and died meekly after the ASG. He was one of them.

My focus for Utah would be adding guts and backbone this offseason. Leaders who never back down and always push back. That’s what I think the team needs most currently. They need culture changers. The young skill is coming. They need to lay a cultural foundation that the youth can go into as they build this. We’ve seen what happens when rebuilding teams forget this step.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Agree. The whole team just laid down and died meekly after the ASG. He was one of them.

My focus for Utah would be adding guts and backbone this offseason. Leaders who never back down and always push back. That’s what I think the team needs most currently. They need culture changers. The young skill is coming. They need to lay a cultural foundation that the youth can go into as they build this. We’ve seen what happens when rebuilding teams forget this step.
Jeannot would go along way towards that. I am sure Utah could get him back up to 15mins

1716915190222.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad