GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Reading thru this thread, I was going to make a post detailing some of the other things Connelly had been accused of, but @Kalopsia beat me to it.

Beyond what was already mentioned, Connelly has been removed from two different hockey programs in 2 weeks or less during his junior career. In one incident, at Bishop Kearney, Connelly was the victim of hazing, and reportedly peed on a teammate's belongings ("among other alleged acts") in retaliation. Upon investigation, Connelly was suspended and then he withdrew from the school. Bishop Kearney's statement on Connelly was "He was there for a week and he left."

He then left his next team, the North Jersey Avalanche, after just two weeks as well. This one reportedly seems benign, as its stated that it was due to the stress of travelling during the pandemic. But not a great look to churn thru two hockey teams in three weeks. More damning is the fact that his hometown team, Anaheim Jr Ducks, did not take him back afterwards, stating “At that time we did not feel he was a good fit for our program."

Various NCAA powerhouse programs also opted not to recruit him.

A lot of this other stuff individually isn't the end of the world, but there's just so much smoke around the player that you figure there has to be fire.

Reactions: Neil Racki

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Seems like my fellow members of the tribe are more forgiving and gracious than I am.

To me being young and dumb is getting drunk, fighting, throwing bottles, lighting the occasional couch on fire, whatever, lol. And yes I am super grateful to have grown up without social media.

I just don’t grasp the idea of engaging in forms of offensive speech as dumb kids stuff. I don’t recall using racial slurs and the like as being young and having a good time. Like, that was never ok. One should know better at 16.

Do they just not teach kids anything about WWII/Holocaust in school these days? What makes a kid think a swastika is a cool thing to post on SM? Was his takeaway from History class that the Nazis were the good guys? Did he see the Charlottesville incident and decide he liked the neo-nazis?

A decade ago I might have been more forgiving, but even before recent world events, Anti-Semitism has been skyrocketing. So, I guess with a kid like this, I’d like to understand the “why.” Maybe all the remedial activities he’s engaged in will help educate other moron kids of his generation - so I guess that can be a positive.
Of course he knew what he was doing. There's no reason to do post stuff like that if you don't know what it means. The hate is the whole point.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He'll have to address this in team interviews at the combine. Probably will trickle out how he handles those.

16 year old teenage male and the hormones man its all kind crazy. We've all messed up in those years. Still surprised some here feel like he should be branded on the forehead eternally for his 'crimes'. It is great that in the current day there is less tolerance to the epithets (the nazi stuff aside that is just stupid). TBH if you translated the 16 year olds back when I was in '85 and the the stuff thrown about would probably be excommunicated from social media in todays time. Obviously glad today is what it is.
Yeah, hardly seems unforgivable, but those are some red flags…I leave it to the Pro’s….if we took him, I would hope we thoroughly dissected his background.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thanks to those who posted the additional info on Connelly. Changes my perspective a bit. I think the discussion about redemption, and is a 16 year old a finished product, or worthy of second chances, is an interesting one, but perhaps for another forum besides the NFL draft.

One can forgive a kid's mistakes, without condoning or sanctioning them at the same time, if the remorse is genuine. But its hard to really know what's in someone's heart by only reading a news print article about them, and yeah, PR Managers will make sure you do/say the right things, but that doesn't automatically mean he's not sincere either.

Anyway, I doubt we draft him so I'm not going to focus on him.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Athletic Hockey show -podcast broke down the U18 a bit so far.

Interesting tidbits:

Cole Eiserman
- There were lots of people hoping for him to solidify his top-10 spot and he didn't really do that. They mentioned that he has been under the microscope and his game has been picked apart, but at the same time he's really given the reason to do that. They didn't like his level of play in the tougher games which they were hoping to see. Invisible and frustrated was how they described it. I still think he's a brilliant player that needs growth. There is a good chance he'll be available at #17.

Liam Greentree:
- He looked good in the pre-tournament games and was visible there. Right now he's kind of stuck in the 3rd line, which is actually a 4th line that plays 8-11 minutes a game. Stuck in a small role here with several players that haven't really impacts yet. Hasn't stood out at all. This isn't the first international ice tournament that he has struggled on though and they mentioned that the guys that don't have great motor often struggle on big ice. He wasn't great at Hlinka either. With guys like Sennecke climbing, he likely goes right around ~15-20.

Another tidbits:

Konsta Helenius
- He's looked great at other levels but he didn't really come in and dominate like he was expected to. He struggled against the tougher teams. He'll likely go 8-12 after this tournament, unless he makes a case for himself at WC. Trade-up candidate?

Jett Luchanko
- He's looked great here. Really smart. Has improved his stock here. If he was considered a late 1st - early 2nd, he'll likely look at going somewhere mid-to-late 1st round now.

Aron Kiviharju
- Came back from lengthy injury. He struggled, a lot. Didn't really help himself in this tournament. Still showed some of his better traits but overally a disappointing tournament and his slide will continue. They got asked about what are the chances he doesn't go in the 1st round and they answered over 50%.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Seems like my fellow members of the tribe are more forgiving and gracious than I am.

To me being young and dumb is getting drunk, fighting, throwing bottles, lighting the occasional couch on fire, whatever, lol. And yes I am super grateful to have grown up without social media.

I just don’t grasp the idea of engaging in forms of offensive speech as dumb kids stuff. I don’t recall using racial slurs and the like as being young and having a good time. Like, that was never ok. One should know better at 16.

Do they just not teach kids anything about WWII/Holocaust in school these days? What makes a kid think a swastika is a cool thing to post on SM? Was his takeaway from History class that the Nazis were the good guys? Did he see the Charlottesville incident and decide he liked the neo-nazis?

A decade ago I might have been more forgiving, but even before recent world events, Anti-Semitism has been skyrocketing. So, I guess with a kid like this, I’d like to understand the “why.” Maybe all the remedial activities he’s engaged in will help educate other moron kids of his generation - so I guess that can be a positive.

It could also be just a moment of pure stupidity. Something like friends daring to do it, or having giggles at a sleepover for doing something outrageous. Something that didnt have a well thought process behind it, you know.

Either way, a possible 1st round select gets media teaching and still does it. Its one of two things, highly stupid or pure evil. Neithee of those characterisrics is very attractive. Caps have always been ranting about the guys we pick about their ”attitude” and ”personality”, so i see very little chance we go with this kid.

I dont go far enough to cancel a 16 year old, but at the same time i dont mind also not being the supportive second chance giver. Caps have given a lot of second and third chances lately and results arent overly promising. With already bad PR from the ”Russian favourism” Caps is getting oversees, i also dont need more red flags and questionable characterities. Pick someone who has upside AND is not a PR nightmare thanks :)

Reactions: RedRocking

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I was thinking Kiviharju should still be a first rounder but do have issues placing him in there. He just misses thanks to some bigger options but it's close. He can move pucks but can definitely see teams preferring a guy like Emery, who could be a riser. Elick, Mews and even Hutson could be preferred by some. The other guy that likely didn't help his stock for the Finns was Hemming. 4+2 in 5 games is decent but nothing that squarely solidifies him. Still a first rounder but probably not top 20.

Part of the issue with Eiserman is the US has spread out their scoring. He's playing with Bednarik and Plante with Hagens and Connelly on their own lines. Connelly has seemed better than Eiserman thus far 5v5 I think, though I've only caught glimpses. Connelly is perhaps a top 8-10 prospect based on skill...sort of a lesser but more complete Perreault. At 17 he deserves to be in consideration based on on-ice ability. They need to have done their homework and whether he passes muster off-ice these days is something left for the pros. Despite the back story provided they've done their homework I'm fine with him as an option if he checks out. If he's available past #20 you've got to think his back story has legs because on-ice he's a top 20 player at worst.

With Sennecke rising considerably the top tier expands to 14. MBN comes next then Connelly/Greentree/Surin/Hage/Jiricek is the next chunk I think. Not sure Eiserman slides to 17 but certainly doubtful he goes top 10 unless he finishes the U18s strongly. MacLellan has sounded like someone more interested in moving some of their surplus picks for immediate help rather than moving up but we'll see. If Catton slides I think he's probably the one that ought to be moved up for.

USA-Slovakia semi starting now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Stiga show continues. He got the US on the board and an Eiserman PPG padded their lead. Adam Nemec responded. Simon's younger brother is going to be a good one. Not draft eligible until 2026.

Re: Connelly, as much as can be gleaned from industry networking you never know if something else could emerge out of the woodwork. The Athletic piece went deep so maybe there's nothing else but that would be a main concern with someone with such a checkered past. The potential for renouncing his rights would be costly. That said, it's not that strong of a first round after a point so even with all of the baggage if he's cleaned up his act this season it seems hard to keep him out of the first round altogether.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
At this rate, is Stiga a reach at 17? Only just on my radar this past week but I’m having trouble seeing his production and his play at u18s and seeing him rated in the 2nd round. This is a 1st round player and only knock I can tell is his size…no?

Draft Stiga at 17, win lottery next year for Hagens and we’ll have a BC line of our own in Washington

Stiga-Hagens-Leonard

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Too small. Too potentially a byproduct of Hagens. His sense is quite good but a small not overly dynamic winger. He may go before Artamanov and Basha after this tourney but there's probably not a great deal of separation between them. Late first, early second.

Eiserman tied the program goals record with Caufield. Another in the gold medal game tomorrow and the career record is his. Regardless of any completeness or maturity questions if the Caps want a pure finisher and he slides it makes all kinds of sense as a longer-term fit post-Ovechkin. Not sure 17 is a great trade down spot but that may depend on what teams think about options like Greentree/Hage/Jiricek.

It's such a hard draft to sort from 2-12 in particular and for some it may extend even further down. Probably not all the way to 17 but you never know. A couple curveballs could open it right up.

Reactions: RedRocking

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Greentree scores on a bad angle shot to put Canada up 1-0. Have to be intrigued by his upside once he fills out more.

McKenna with a highlight reel finish, setting the Canadian U18 tournament scoring record. Plan on tanking in 2026.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Greentree scores on a bad angle shot to put Canada up 1-0. Have to be intrigued by his upside once he fills out more.

McKenna with a highlight reel finish, setting the Canadian U18 tournament scoring record. Plan on tanking in 2026.
I’d be perfectly ok with either Hagens next year and McKenna in 2026.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
USA/Canada tomorrow at 11am for all the marbles. As it should be. Canada's going to need to play more of a full 60, as Carter George had to be pretty spectacular against Sweden.

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Damn I thought McKenna was due out in the 2025 draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Canada wins gold off of a McKenna hat trick. The game turned on its head thanks to a careless head checking major and game misconduct by Connelly. Would love to know what he says to the team (if anything) after coming in and wrecking their culmination game.

Carter George was sensational again. His save on Hagens was phenomenal.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Greentree only played ~4 minutes in the final. Got some PP2 time but not a great showcase. Four points in seven games. Ryan Bourque was an assistant for the NTDP so if they want yet more additional intel on Connelly they won't have to hunt far for it.

After the top group I'm still partial to Brandsegg-Nygard and then I don't know really. Hage/Surin/Jiricek maybe. They're the safest options...the ones with the best combo of sense and compete anyway. Maybe not the highest upside, though, compared to Connelly or Greentree.

Biggest riser from this tourney IMO among '24s was Emery, who should be a first round lock. Was named to the all-tourney team along with Hutson.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

For the 24 Draft

Standouts:
Teddy Stiga , F, USA
Cole Beaudoin , F, CAN
Cole Hutson , D, USA
EJ Emery , D, USA
Harrison Brunicke, D , CAN
Frankie Marrelli , D, CAN
Henry Mews , D, CAN
Charlie Elick , D , CAN

(Basically all of Canada's dmen )

Disappointments:
Kamil Bednarik , F , USA
Gabriel Eliasson , D , SWE
Liam Greentree , F , CAN
Aron Kiviharju , D , FIN (not a true disappointment due to missing 7 months, but listed as a faller)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They should make Connelly find his own way home. Brutal.

On top of all of his off-the-ice red flags, he seems like a really dumb player on-the-ice too. Either that or he doesn't really care about winning or his teammates at all. Firmly in the 'do not draft' -territory for me.

If some of you were worried that Leonard might take long road and walk for nothing (in 2027!), imagine waiting on this guy. I doubt MacLellan wants to give himself a headache for the next several years when there are similar or close-to similar upside players available that aren't either dumb or bullies.

That said, i hope someone picks him ahead of us.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Wheeler's post-U18 rankings. Connelly still at 17. I still think there's a lack of quality to where he can't be ruled out altogether, as much as one may like to. What's perhaps more damning, and requires more examination, is him not coming out to the medal ceremony post-game. Surely he was allowed? So did he bail altogether? Did he address his teammates? It's a mystery. The NTDP team was so clearly emotional during the medal ceremony and he was nowhere to be found. Maybe he felt he didn't belong coming in as he did last minute, didn't want to be a distraction and for them to have their moment together. But it adds yet another layer of drama. I thought he was pretty solid, not amazing, but it's tough to drop in and have great chemistry compared to the rest of the team. Very careless penalty under international rules. Definitely not an unquestionable star talent but he is fairly well-rounded and does possess top six upside. Not the smartest but one still needs to contextualize things.

This isn't the deepest draft and the Caps right near a drop-off point to where they really ought to try to move up if possible. Rather than using excess picks on a disposable middle six player the differential between a drop-off in talent and even a few picks higher seems more significant than an available trade target compared to free agency. The sort of quality needed for an immediate substantial roster upgrade seems likely to require more value than 2s and 3s.

After the top 14 and MBN I think Hage stands out. He had just as strong of a season in the USHL as Connelly, is a right shot center going to a strong program at Michigan. But that still leaves one spot at best. And it's tough to firmly conclude at this stage that it definitely shouldn't be Connelly. In theory, yes, but in practice...the door still seems ajar. If they can manage to trade up just two or three spots they'll be in pretty vastly better position. But one can also see the makings of them flipping this pick for immediate help. Lapierre's progression, Miro being fairly close and Leonard not being too far off give them a fair bit of youth going forward. Were there a more promising secondary blueliner in the 17 range it would fit their needs best but still hard to say Jiricek is definitely that guy. Could be...but not a no-brainer. Barring a curveball ahead of them they likely need to get creative to come away with enough quality to extract full value and impact.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

Wheeler's post-U18 rankings. Connelly still at 17. I still think there's a lack of quality to where he can't be ruled out altogether, as much as one may like to. What's perhaps more damning, and requires more examination, is him not coming out to the medal ceremony post-game. Surely he was allowed? So did he bail altogether? Did he address his teammates? It's a mystery. The NTDP team was so clearly emotional during the medal ceremony and he was nowhere to be found. Maybe he felt he didn't belong coming in as he did last minute, didn't want to be a distraction and for them to have their moment together. But it adds yet another layer of drama. I thought he was pretty solid, not amazing, but it's tough to drop in and have great chemistry compared to the rest of the team. Very careless penalty under international rules. Definitely not an unquestionable star talent but he is fairly well-rounded and does possess top six upside. Not the smartest but one still needs to contextualize things.
Isn't the context that this is yet another red flag about a kid with a track record of antisocial behavior? The depth of the draft has nothing to do with the fact that he has character issues thay will not simply go away when he makes it to the NHL despite everything.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's certainly concerning. I don't want to make it seem like I'm going to bat for the kid. But at 17 if the draft goes more in line with expectations he's still likely to be the biggest upside play nonetheless. The ultimate risk/reward play. My point is more they ought to be aggressive trying to move up, even just a couple spots, because they need substantial upside and ideally without such risk. Unfortunately there aren't teams in front of them that lacking picks and it's hard to say whether anyone will be comfortable betting on this draft's depth.

You never know. A team or two could go off the board in front of them but there aren't too many wild cards that come to mind otherwise. They could go safer. Greentree could certainly turn into a decent middle six winger. Jiricek may have a relatively high floor. Surin has an intriguing skill set and degree of versatility.
But if they're looking primarily for impact potential, I mean, he's in the conversation. Super complicated but I don't think the draft itself necessarily lends to a convenient dismissal of the possibility.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

For the 24 Draft

Standouts:
Teddy Stiga , F, USA
Cole Beaudoin , F, CAN
Cole Hutson , D, USA
EJ Emery , D, USA
Harrison Brunicke, D , CAN
Frankie Marrelli , D, CAN
Henry Mews , D, CAN
Charlie Elick , D , CAN

(Basically all of Canada's dmen )

Disappointments:
Kamil Bednarik , F , USA
Gabriel Eliasson , D , SWE
Liam Greentree , F , CAN
Aron Kiviharju , D , FIN (not a true disappointment due to missing 7 months, but listed as a faller)
Stiga now in the first round yes.

Don't think the Caps are at a point where they can turn up their nose at upside re: Connelly. Honestly thought he played very well in on the games I watched in the under 18s. I would also be find with Stiga at 17.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad