GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I get why folks like @ThisIsMyAlibi seek solace in tanking, but this is one of those years where when you suck, it just sucks. There is no compensation for it, it just sucks. It's not good for the now or for the future.
I’m quoting this because for some reason I think you posted something along the lines of “Celebrini will be the only guy capable of contributing in the NHL next year” (if not you, then sorry but I still want to talk about this topic).

Is there any chance Artyom Levshunov could step in next year and be impactful like Mintyukov in the right setting? I haven’t been able to watch him much if I’m being honest.

And for fun, if anyone could put together a ranking of their most NHL ready prospects I think it would be interesting! This is only their readiness, not according to their ceiling.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m quoting this because for some reason I think you posted something along the lines of “Celebrini will be the only guy capable of contributing in the NHL next year” (if not you, then sorry but I still want to talk about this topic).

Is there any chance Artyom Levshunov could step in next year and be impactful like Mintyukov in the right setting? I haven’t been able to watch him much if I’m being honest.

And for fun, if anyone could put together a ranking of their most NHL ready prospects I think it would be interesting! This is only their readiness, not according to their ceiling.

I don't know enough yet to say about their readiness. I watched one game of Levshunov, and he doesn't really have great tools. I wouldn't have guessed he was a big scorer.

Where would Celebrini be ranked if he was in last years draft class?

2-4.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree with MM, he's 2-4.He's in a tier with Fantilli/Michkov. He's more cerebral than Fantilli but less physically gifted. Doing similar thing in the same league

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I always thought Celebrini would had been 4 or 5th if he was included in last year's draft. I put him on the Will Smith tier.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I have Celebrinni right on par with Fantilli and Carlsson. Just depends on what flavor you prefer. Can put them in any order.

Clearly a step above Smith and Michkov

Reactions: majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
For me it's:

Bedard
Carlsson
Celebrini

-small gap-

Fantilli

-larger gap-

bunch of other players from both classes

-another gap-

Smith and Michkov

Reactions: majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Buium might not be the type of player we really lack in our system but his skillset is damn exciting. He may go in top-10.

I'm also a fan of the overager Repcik.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It seems likely that Columbus are going to pick around 4th or 5th this year, disregarding the lottery. From the little that I have seen, I would be quite happy with Helenius, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Catton or Demidov. Buium too seems quite good, but he may be too similar to Mateychuk. Eiserman I have not been too impressed with, although I will freely admit that I am basically just another idiot on the internet, so maybe I'm missing something. Does anyone have a preference regarding who they should pick? Personally, I really like what I've seen of Helenius (good allround game with a fighting spirit and high hockey IQ, has impressed in professional league), but will need to look up the others more as the draft approaches.

EDIT: Obviously, if Buium emerges as the best D in the draft and they want D, they should go for him. Personally, I generally think you should go for BPA. If you have too much of one type, you can always make a trade.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they land another legit top6 C option the forward group is going to be insane in a couple of season.

Marchenko& Voronkov keep developing better than originally hoped, Brindley looks like a ”steal” of a 2nd round pick so far

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Don't know much about the kids in our range but I want someone who has the attitude of Fantilli, someone who hates losing and has a high motor, that the coaches don't need to constantly "push their buttons to get them going".

I'd also look for a defenseman who excels in his own end, the offensive game doesn't need to be top notch, we have enough of them already here and in the pipeline.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don't know much about the kids in our range but I want someone who has the attitude of Fantilli, someone who hates losing and has a high motor, that the coaches don't need to constantly "push their buttons to get them going".

I'd also look for a defenseman who excels in his own end, the offensive game doesn't need to be top notch, we have enough of them already here and in the pipeline.

The thing with that is that you just don’t draft defensive minded Dmen in the top 5-8 range.
They have to have a high end offensive tool kit as well to make sense

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The thing with that is that you just don’t draft defensive minded Dmen in the top 5-8 range.
They have to have a high end offensive tool kit as well to make sense
I get that. I just want someone with a high defense potential. Someone with great IQ, stick checking, front clearing, doesn't need to blast people in the boards but someone that can absorb the forecheck and make good reads.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Like Reinbacher and Simashev?

Everybody thought Reinbacher basically there was a mistake and especially over Michkov.

Drafting for defense (not Dmen) is a recipe for low value high picks.

That would be just solely be drafting for todays need and leaving more talent on the board.
Which is exactly what this board is against, atleast when it suites their agenda

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I get that. I just want someone with a high defense potential. Someone with great IQ, stick checking, front clearing, doesn't need to blast people in the boards but someone that can absorb the forecheck and make good reads.

I understand what you mean.

In an ideal scenario there would be a legit C option to go with Fantilli or Slavin type to go with Jiricek or Mateychuk, it just rarely is the case and most often would be a result of reaching for todays need with more valuable players being picked before and after

I atleast feel good about there being a potential for a 15y duel threat with Fantilli in this draft in that range.

Reactions: LJ7 and Aaaarrgghh

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Eh I would not be sad if we took Silayev or Dickinson. Guys with tools and defensive abilities. Knock on Dickinson is will he put those tools together in the offensive zone and so far hes already topped last years totals y a large margin. Big smooth skating defensemen with defending ability is obviously a luxury and more teams are being less shy about drafting them. I dont think Montreal or Arizona will be living in regret if they both get major anchors on their blueline for the foreseeable future.

There are forwards I wouldnt mind either obviously but if we go after a defensive stabilizing prescence on the backend I wont be upset

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The players I find most intriguing right now are

Sam Dickinson - who strikes me as a very good defender and is showing some offensive pop lately, seems like a strong leader as well.

Cayden Lindstrom - who is showing signs of physical power forward potential. He doesn't have the best play selection but he seems to be figuring out how unstoppable he can be if he uses his strength.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The players I find most intriguing right now are

Sam Dickinson - who strikes me as a very good defender and is showing some offensive pop lately, seems like a strong leader as well.

Cayden Lindstrom - who is showing signs of physical power forward potential. He doesn't have the best play selection but he seems to be figuring out how unstoppable he can be if he uses his strength.
Have you see Catton play yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad