GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The only thing I like about that is that FINALLY Pitt is starting to fall from their two decades of dominance.
The problem is God is a Penguins fan. When they suckity suck they have generational players like Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin waiting for them. In a couple, three years, the next HOFer will be waiting for them as well.

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Personally, unless we get a top 3 pick, I would not mind trading our first round pick for a young but established roster player, preferably a center or a rhd

Reactions: Doggy and LJ7

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Personally, unless we get a top 3 pick, I would not mind trading our first round pick for a young but established roster player, preferably a center or a rhd
I would dangle the 1st and (hopefully resurgent) Laine

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The problem is God is a Penguins fan. When they suckity suck they have generational players like Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin waiting for them. In a couple, three years, the next HOFer will be waiting for them as well.
I just wish a rebuild like the Wings have had on them. No luck at all, circuitous and meandering, with plenty of humbling moments for their arrogant fans.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I look at this draft and I lament the lack of true defensive defensemen. No one on this draft board is a true DFD from my view until the second round on the Tankathon mock draft (Matvei Shuravin). As a team that needs defensive help as desperately as a fish needs water, this is concerning.

Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I look at this draft and I lament the lack of true defensive defensemen. No one on this draft board is a true DFD from my view until the second round on the Tankathon mock draft (Matvei Shuravin). As a team that needs defensive help as desperately as a fish needs water, this is concerning.
And drafting a defenseman for need in the first round is a fool’s errand, especially a defensive defenseman. They take many years to develop. If we wanted that now, we should’ve been drafting it in 2017, 18.

Reactions: LJ7

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I just wish a rebuild like the Wings have had on them. No luck at all, circuitous and meandering, with plenty of humbling moments for their arrogant fans.
And we might have gone that route had Johnny not fallen into Jarmo's lap. I am not suggesting Jarmo should have passed on Johnny, that would have been hard to explain to the fanbase. I mean, would a guy who has recently broken up with his girlfriend turn Gal Gadot down if she came knocking on his door because it was "too soon and not the right time"?

But think of where this team might be had they not signed Johnny and kept Bjorky. We'd possibly be somewhere in the middle to later stages of the Red Wings rebuild timeline with more cap space and perhaps a more patient fanbase.

Johnny sped up our rebuild timeline and changed expectations for the club.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And we might have gone that route had Johnny not fallen into Jarmo's lap. I am not suggesting Jarmo should have passed on Johnny, that would have been hard to explain to the fanbase. I mean, would a guy who has recently broken up with his girlfriend turn Gal Gadot down if she came knocking on his door because it was "too soon and not the right time"?

But think of where this team might be had they not signed Johnny and kept Bjorky. We'd possibly be somewhere in the middle to later stages of the Red Wings rebuild timeline with more cap space and perhaps a more patient fanbase.

I reject the premise that we had to move Bjorkstrand in any situation. We chose to move him out of everyone on the roster.

I haven't watched much but Sam Dickinson seemed like a really solid old school D.

Reactions: LJ7 and Cowumbus

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I reject the premise that we had to move Bjorkstrand in any situation. We chose to move him out of everyone on the roster.

I haven't watched much but Sam Dickinson seemed like a really solid old school D.
Major, I am not debating who needed to be moved in order to fit Johnny on the team but the fact is we did move Bjorky to make room.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
He might be, but I don't see a Chris Pronger/Francois Beauchemin or even a Mike Komisarek type in the top 2 rounds. Closest to it IMO is Dominik Badinka, who we can snag at 35 according to Tankathon (if we still had that pick).

Squash is right though, we should have taken Mattias Samuelsson or someone similar when we had the chance.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He might be, but I don't see a Chris Pronger/Francois Beauchemin or even a Mike Komisarek type in the top 2 rounds. Closest to it IMO is Dominik Badinka, who we can snag at 35 according to Tankathon (if we still had that pick).

Squash is right though, we should have taken Mattias Samuelsson or someone similar whengx we had the chance.
I get what you are meaning but man if there were a Chris Pronger in this draft Celebrini wouldnt be the runaway 1st overall pick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And drafting a defenseman for need in the first round is a fool’s errand, especially a defensive defenseman. They take many years to develop. If we wanted that now, we should’ve been drafting it in 2017, 18.
When we drafted Peeke? Or the year before Carlsson? Year before Collins? Year before Heatherington? Its not like that isnt exactly what they tried to do, even Richard lately is that type of guy. Just a hard player to develop.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When we drafted Peeke? Or the year before Carlsson? Year before Collins? Year before Heatherington? Its not like that isnt exactly what thdy tried to do, even Richard lately is that type of guy. Just a hard player to develop.

If good shutdown D could be reliably identified in the draft, teams wouldn't wait until the second round to start taking them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The 2 real special recent ones we've drafted were Gavrikov (6th round) and Savard (4th round).

This is somewhat of a tangent but I'm just remembering how many folks trashed Savard and Gavrikov for much of their tenures as Jackets.

If the historical memory is going to be that those are real special players then I'm glad. I think they were good!

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

What does this have to do with anything? I was wishing ill on the Penguins. We absolutely did not do a Wings-style tear down/rebuild. There was never an utter dearth of talent here.

Reactions: Viqsi

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
What does this have to do with anything? I was wishing ill on the Penguins. We absolutely did not do a Wings-style tear down/rebuild. There was never an utter dearth of talent here.
My apologies, I clearly misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were suggesting you would have liked the CBJ to do a slow and steady rebuild like Detroit has done rather than what we got which was a sped up rebuild because of Johnny.

Reactions: squashmaple

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My apologies, I clearly misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were suggesting you would have liked the CBJ to do a slow and steady rebuild like Detroit has done rather than what we got which was a sped up rebuild because of Johnny.
Should be what we THOUGHT we got

Reactions: Doggy

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

If we draft around 5th, Sam Dickinson makes sense. There would be no reason to rush his development. Bring him along slowly and he could be ready to replace Werenski when his contract is up.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Assuming we're not in position to take Celebrini, I like what I've read about Anton Silayev. But, I could get behind Dickinson too. A big Left D seems like biggest hole in our prospect pool. The best thing about Silayev (aside from his size and skating) is that he is signed in Russia until 2026. This forces the CBJ to let him develop somewhere other than here.

Here's what Scott Wheeler had to say about him several weeks ago:

The story of the draft early on this season, Silayev is a unicorn 6-foot-7 defenseman who has risen to the top of the class playing legitimate minutes for one of the KHL's better teams through the first couple of months — an extremely rare feat for a 17-year-old. He has already broken the league’s under-18 scoring record by a defenseman, and will soon break the under-19 one. He’s playing on the power play, consistently registering multiple shots per game, and has even played both sides. Silayev is an excellent skater who walks the line with ease, drops back onto his heels comfortably, and pushes forward to either carry pucks up ice, close gaps, or disrupt a carrier with an active stick. Despite how prodigious his play has been, he looks like he's only scratching the surface of his true potential as well, with steps to be taken in his decision-making on the puck (I find he's a little too trigger happy — he actually shows good poise and comfort when he doesn't rush), his shot (which he gets off in volume and does a good job putting on target, but will definitely add power as he gets stronger and works on it), and his ability to impose himself with his size (which he's doing more and more of, now leading Torpedo in hits). He has shown some soft skill for a big man, he's disruptive in zone defense and hard to beat off the rush because of his length, and there's plenty of room for continued growth and development within his game. There are some scouts who think he's the top D prospect in the draft, and a real contender for the top two or three picks. I'm still partial to Levshunov, but debated ranking Silayev as high as No. 5 here.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Assuming we're not in position to take Celebrini, I like what I've read about Anton Silayev. But, I could get behind Dickinson too. A big Left D seems like biggest hole in our prospect pool. The best thing about Silayev (aside from his size and skating) is that he is signed in Russia until 2026. This forces the CBJ to let him develop somewhere other than here.
I like him. I could see him going 2 or 3.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I’m kinda pressed for time these days but I was just wondering other than Celebrini is there any other guys from this draft (ideally in the top 10) who are going to make their WJC team? Want to get a few guys down to look for when watching this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad