GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Defensemen in the top-15:

3 Silayev
4 Dickinson
8 Levshunov
9 Yakemchuk
12 Jiricek

And Cayden Lindstrom #2.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I agree with having Demidov and Eiserman somewhat lower. I'm not sure if there are many better options this year but they definitely feel like lackluster picks if they're taken at #2.

Reactions: tunnelvision

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
And Cayden Lindstrom #2.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I agree with having Demidov and Eiserman somewhat lower. I'm not sure if there are many better options this year but they definitely feel like lackluster picks if they're taken at #2.
Interesting to hear that after not checking in for a while. Hadn't even heard of Lindstrom. How does he compare to players with similar draft profile (eg. Byfield/Slafkovsky)?

Whats up with Eiserman? Late birthday, and stats seem to be trending to what Will Smith did a year ago. From outsde he looks like a decent #2, unless the issue is just that he is a midsized goalscoring winger?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Interesting to hear that after not checking in for a while. Hadn't even heard of Lindstrom. How does he compare to players with similar draft profile (eg. Byfield/Slafkovsky)?

He is a lot like Byfield in that they don't really use their 6'5 frames, they're slick skilled players and not very strong. They don't play with long sticks so the reach isn't a big difference either. Maybe Lindstrom will develop his physique better.

Edit: I forgot, I did see this elite prospects profile of Lindstrom, where he shows some good physical defensive engagement.

Whats up with Eiserman? Late birthday, and stats seem to be trending to what Will Smith did a year ago. From outsde he looks like a decent #2, unless the issue is just that he is a midsized goalscoring winger?

He's all finish. Not a versatile player who contributes in other ways.

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
He's all finish. Not a versatile player who contributes in other ways.
So a better version of Kemell/Lekkerinmäki? Sounds like a draft day faller, but playing at US NTDP instead of pro league probably helps with keeping the draft stock high

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
So a better version of Kemell/Lekkerinmäki? Sounds like a draft day faller, but playing at US NTDP instead of pro league probably helps with keeping the draft stock high
that's the overly-pessimistic way of viewing it.

the more grounded/straightforward comp, imo, is that he's cole caufield with average size. which is a hell of a player.

the overly-optimistic comp is diet pastrnak.

Reactions: majormajor

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
that's the overly-pessimistic way of viewing it.

the more grounded/straightforward comp, imo, is that he's cole caufield with average size. which is a hell of a player.

the overly-optimistic comp is diet pastrnak.
Didnt really mean to be pessimistic. Both of them are 19 year olds having decent seasons at pro level. No telling how they end up. Just picked them since they are recent picks with similar size and profile. Also both fell relative to public rankings, which i feel has been a recent trend with average sized shooting wingers.

Eeli Tolvanen was another midsized shooter that fell a lot on draft day. He has actually scored really well this year. Looks like a decent pick in the end

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I thought this was a noteworthy post by Mark Edwards from HP:
As of today it's the worst group I've ever seen in the OHL and probably the QMJHL as well (HP will turn 20 in 2024) - WHL is easily the strongest league in the CHL this year. Down year for the NTDP and Sweden to name a couple more.

I like the Top 10 overall and some people tend to just rate a draft on the top 10. It falls off reasonably quickly after that IMO.

In general I go league by league compared to what I've seen in years past. It's a down year based on that.

FWIW, I've never heard this many NHL scouts rip a draft class as much as I've heard it this year.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo's successor might think for example that Provorov, Werenski or Severson aren't necessarily their long-term top-4 defensemen. Nobody is untouchable. None of them are great at playing a shut-down game.

I think with their contracts, the chances that Werenski or Severson get traded are very minimal. You hope that Jiricek, Mateychuk, and company develop strong defensive games, and if not that then try and acquire a Chris Tanev type through trade. I'm not opposed to drafting a defensive D either, but it's far from the only option. It's also not clear that this will be our biggest issue in a couple years. We have a lot of talent and question marks everywhere.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think with their contracts, the chances that Werenski or Severson get traded are very minimal. You hope that Jiricek, Mateychuk, and company develop strong defensive games, and if not that then try and acquire a Chris Tanev type through trade. I'm not opposed to drafting a defensive D either, but it's far from the only option. It's also not clear that this will be our biggest issue in a couple years. We have a lot of talent and question marks everywhere.

I don’t think contract has anything to do with Werenski.

I’d just put my money on Gm’s around the league being much higher on him than HF boards& they wouldn’t trade him.

Also trying to address the lack of defensive Dmen is not good enough reason to pick one with a top5/10 pick.

Anyways they should go for talent/ceiling, no matter the position. I just made the mistake of bringing up another European as an option, who’s game seems to be build for todays NHL/Columbus high work ethic model

But I’ll probably take a timeout from Columbus board, getting pretty toxic these days

Last edited:
Reactions: squashmaple

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
That’s what you like to see.

IMG_3372.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad