HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
None of this except for size is based on anything tangible. It’s just your opinion, and again, I have to question how you’ve come to that because it certainly isn’t based on results on the ice.

His 4 more assists, less goals, less points per game makes him “more complete offensively than Iginla”? How so? I’d really like an explanation that isn’t just you saying so.

And before you go off, yes stats are a huge part of the equation. Always have been, always will be.

He’s “bigger” than Iginla, but he’s weaker, slower, less explosive, less physical, and plays a perimeter game, and he’s significantly older. He’s also worse defensively, among a number of other things.

As for Catton, there is not a single thing that Sennecke does better, or even as good. He’s worse in every way, except size.
Again though, you’re drafting the player for what you think he’ll become, not what he is now. Senmecke’s growth spurt is a huge advantage for him.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And you know this based exactly on what??

The ceiling thing gets annoying when it is declared as an irrefutable fact. What does ceiling really mean, the common fan thinks it is about offensive production when imo it is about overall impact on a game.

It is just way too subjective to use when comparing three prospects who all have a ton of potential to try and isolate one of them as the clearly having the highest ceiling.
Personally, I think the guy who broke the goal record has a pretty high ceiling.

Floor? That’s another story…

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
And you know this based exactly on what??

The ceiling thing gets annoying when it is declared as an irrefutable fact. What does ceiling really mean, the common fan thinks it is about offensive production when imo it is about overall impact on a game.

It is just way too subjective to use when comparing three prospects who all have a ton of potential to try and isolate one of them as the clearly having the highest ceiling.
Not too mention prospects break though their draft day ceilings all the time.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Ya he won’t make it past CBJ

Then we'll get Lindstrom. No biggie.

I don't get the doom and gloom based on what? One inch and a back injury about which most NHL teams have probably known about for weeks?

There's no need to make things difficult. Lindstrom, Demidov or Iginla is going to be there at 5, as well as a plethora of good young Ds. Plenty of interesting potential picks.

Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Dickinson, Buium, Parekh, Silayev.

Just pick one of those 8 and I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ya he won’t make it past CBJ
I love the recency bias in this thread. U18 made everyone think Iginla is a 1st liner. Memorial Cup made everyone believe Dickinson is a 1D. Combine has everyone thinking Lindstrom is going to retire soon. Now a simple measurement has people worried that Demidov is unattainable. It’s very entertaining.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I love the recency bias in this thread. U18 made everyone think Iginla is a 1st liner. Memorial Cup made everyone believe Dickinson is a 1D. Combine has everyone thinking Lindstrom is going to retire soon. Now a simple measurement has people worried that Demidov is unattainable. It’s very entertaining.
I never said this because of his measurements, we already knew he was over 6tt. CBJ is rumored to like him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I normally don't panic about any of this (the Lindstrom stuff was hilarious) but this one seems a more legit concern. We've heard the entire time that Chicago is debating Levshunov vs Demidov. If that is a debate and the factors that edged Demidov behind Levshunov are quelled by the combine, then its reasonable to assume they could flip.

It doesn't change anything about Anaheim or CBJ as neither have been heavily rumored to want the player.

Reactions: Rozz and habsfan891

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Demidov's ceiling is much higher than Lindstrom.
In your opinion. This is far from being the consensus. From what I’ve seen, a lot of lists have Lindstrom higher, as do I.
he hasn't shown prime stickhandling
You lost me here. Makes me think you haven’t even watched him. His puck protection and stick handling are his standout attributes. Not as flashy as Demidov, but just as, if not more effective. They utilize it differently.
You draft Lindstrom because he's the best now, and the most NHL ready.
Nope. I’d draft him because I believe his ceiling is higher, and that his game is more translatable to the NHL. The back injury throws a bit of a wrench in things, but if doctors say it’s not going to be a long term issue, then I take Lindstrom over Demidov 10/10 times.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
We were terrible from the late 90s to the 2000s. So yeah, they were darker days.

But in 2013 we had a great young core and a 3rd overall. If we hired even a decent GM we’d have become legit contenders. Instead… we squandered a great young core. THAT is far more tragic than just being a brutal team.

This regime has chosen a direction, is miles above at development, seems to be drafting extremely well… what’s not to like?
I love the direction of the current team, I'm on board with them fully. Feels like we're being built the right way on a lot of levels.

My point is that the era before Bergevin was more painful than his reign.

I'd argue the team made the right pick on 3 at the time. It's easy to say now we screwed that up, but the majority of fans wanted Galchenyuk. The prospect pool he inherited was a joke, compared to what HuGo received.

Say what you want, this man also brought us the most exciting Spring we had since 93' with a team that he actually spent his $$.

You're not wrong about him missing the opportunity to turn us into something more, and the fact Carey never got that support over a sustained time is his biggest failure.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I normally don't panic about any of this (the Lindstrom stuff was hilarious) but this one seems a more legit concern. We've heard the entire time that Chicago is debating Levshunov vs Demidov. If that is a debate and the factors that edged Demidov behind Levshunov are quelled by the combine, then its reasonable to assume they could flip.

It doesn't change anything about Anaheim or CBJ as neither have been heavily rumored to want the player.
I don’t think height was ever the issue for teams thinking of taking him. I don’t think being an inch taller than expected is going to influence much.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Habs already have one player who will likely never be healthy. Back injuries usually only get worse. Not to mention the hand injury. HuGo have to be very sure of Lindstorm AND Demidov's prognoses.

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
Not sure who's the right pick, if Demidov is there you gotta take him. however if we had picked michkov or leornard last year instead of a freaking defensive D in reibacher then we wouldnt have this problem right now. It doesn't even make sense to me how they didn't know that this year's draft class was filled with great Defensemen. Now we will pick for need once again and the cycle continues

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Again though, you’re drafting the player for what you think he’ll become, not what he is now. Senmecke’s growth spurt is a huge advantage for him.
Sure, and Sennecke has shown nothing to indicate he’s even on the same level as the guys he gets lumped in with on here. I’m not buying the hype at all. He’s one of those prospects where people try to convince you to look past both what you see on the ice and tangible results. KK was another one like that. A lot of this board drank the Kool-Aid on that one too, just like they’re doing here.

I see Sennecke as having middle-six upside, if everything goes well. That means he could be anywhere from a 3rd liner to a solid 2nd liner. I’m not seeing high end upside at all. He has no elite skills or attributes, and plenty of flaws in his game. Even his much hyped “hands” are just good, not great or elite.

Tell me what he’s done to separate himself from guys like Connelly, Hage, Luchanko, Greentree, Boisvert, etc, all of whom are ranked by most lists in the 16-17 to ~25 range. I’d take a few of guys over Sennecke no problem. Those are his cohorts, not Iginla, Catton, Eiserman - and certainly not Lindstrom or Demidov.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Not sure who's the right pick, if Demidov is there you gotta take him. however if we had picked michkov or leornard last year instead of a freaking defensive D in reibacher then we wouldnt have this problem right now. It doesn't even make sense to me how they didn't know that this year's draft class was filled with great Defensemen. Now we will pick for need once again and the cycle continues
Sounds like you actually have a lot of ReGretzskys.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sure, and Sennecke has shown nothing to indicate he’s even on the same level as the guys he gets lumped in with on here. I’m not buying the hype at all. He’s one of those prospects where people try to convince you to look past both what you see on the ice and tangible results. KK was another one like that. A lot of this board drank the Kool-Aid on that one too, just like they’re doing here.

I see Sennecke as having middle-six upside, if everything goes well. That means he could be anywhere from a 3rd liner to a solid 2nd liner. I’m not seeing high end upside at all. He has no elite skills or attributes, and plenty of flaws in his game.

Tell me what he’s done to separate himself from guys like Connelly, Hage, Luchanko, Greentree, Boisvert, etc, all of whom are ranked by most lists in the 16-17 to ~25 range. I’d take a few of guys over Sennecke no problem. Those are his cohorts, not Iginla, Catton, Eiserman - and certainly not Lindstrom or Demidov.

What I can't get over with Sennecke is that if he ends up being a successful NHLer, you're pretty much banking on him learning to play a game he doesn't play in the juniors.

So it's not as much about tangible upside, it's about the upside you imagine he COULD have IF he plays like you think he CAN play.

That's a lot of ifs.

I just think it's not just about pure upside, it's about the likelyhood the guy you pick reaches his upside.

A guy might really well be perceived as having a lower upside, but higher odds to reach it.

At this point what do you do when you're a team with absolutely nothing in the pipeline up front?

My common sense tells me you play the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad